Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 24 of 34  [ 336 posts ]  Go to page « 122 23 24 25 2634 »
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Norseland: The Viking AUPosted: December 1st, 2012, 9:05 pm
The empty space is a helo deck. The forward SAM as in the big one? It has hatches on the deck and the missiles are pushed up into the arms ala Mk 26.

[Profile] [Quote]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: Norseland: The Viking AUPosted: December 1st, 2012, 9:12 pm
Ok that makes sense thankyou

References and feedback is always welcome!

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Norseland: The Viking AUPosted: December 1st, 2012, 10:08 pm
After I removed two of the launchers the ship feels castrated. It`s supposed to beat any other cruiser up to Kirov/Ticnderoga classes appear, not be equal to all other. At least now we know why the Soviets built the Kirovs. This cruiser is a response to the Slava, Kirov is a response to this one.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Norseland: The Viking AUPosted: December 2nd, 2012, 9:30 am
http://www.shipbucket.com/images.php?di ... 201996.png
well, if you look at existing ships (yes, this one is of later date) you see that an empty looking ship should not necessary be as empty as they look. yes, by russian standards your ship looks empty, but by western standards......
depending on the magazine layout of the forward launcher, you might be able to shorten the ship a bit just forward or aft of it, which would balance her look. also, the helideck looks a bit long, and my suggestion is to have the asrocski reload from below instead of from the structure.

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Norseland: The Viking AUPosted: December 4th, 2012, 11:38 am
I have been thinking about a scenario that takes place in 1940. With the German plans to invade Norseland in the finishing stages, they tried tried to start a nazi uprising in Norseland to destabilize the region. By smugling in weapons and soldiers to help the rebells in using weapons and tactics, some even participated directly in the rebellion. The rebellion initially caught the military offguard and several tanks, planes and ships were seized by the rebells. The German plans were delayed and would later have to confront a unified Norseland fueled by hatred and anger towards anything nazi/fascist. The rebellion failed and the leaders and some 130 rebells managed to capture a destroyer that was being fitted with a new experimental 5 inch guns with auto-loaders. The destroyer itself was built in the mid 30s and was known for their speed and manouverability.

The rebells with the help from some of the original crew set sail at the afternoon. The closest ship to intercept it was the Ragnarök. The original specs of the destroyer was 38-40 knots, but the bigger guns reduced the speed by one and a half to two knots. The destroyer was still much faster than the battleship. Heavy seas made the rebells slow down in fear of damaging their ship. Ragnarök could still steam forward at 30 knots. At dawn one day later, Rangarök caught up with the destroyer and opened fire. The manouverability of the destroyer made it a difficult target to hit. The destroyer managed to squeeze out up to 30-32 round a minute from the five inch guns. Ths ship lacked radar and the new fire control system that was to be fitted and was as such unable to put many shells at the closing battleship. Ragnarök fired it`s last salvo. Three 18" HE shells hit the destoryer amidships and the destoryer was lifted up from the water as her magazine and torpedoes exploded in an enormous fireball. The ship broke in two and sank within seconds. No survivors were fished out of the water.

Here`s a wip of that destroyer with the new guns:
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: Norseland: The Viking AUPosted: December 4th, 2012, 11:53 am
I don't think 30 RPM is very feasible in 1940. For example, the semi-automatic(essentially all automatic guns in that caliber class was semi:s) Bofors 120mm M/1942 was capable of 20 RPM. The famous 5"/38 Mk.12 could reach 18 RPM, with appropriate gun mounting.
Also, I can't avoid thinking those gun barrels look... huge. Guesstimate from just looking is that they are around 70 calibers long, which is... very much. A 105mm gun could have that length, but in 1940-ish 5" guns were rarely longer than 55 cal, often shorter.
Except for that, however, I very much like the appearance of this destroyer. The story is intersting as well. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
denodon
Post subject: Re: Norseland: The Viking AUPosted: December 4th, 2012, 11:57 am
The destroyer looks alright other than the above mentioned issues however I have doubts as to the designs original 38-40knkt speed. Those kinds of speeds were not reached at the time you say they built on two shaft alone as the engines simply weren't powerful enough and the ships too small or fit them. Also your torpedo launchers look like they are mounted too high in the ship. The mounts had to be kept low to the waterline else the launch would cause the torpedo to nosedive into the sea and damage the gyro equipment within.

I also have my doubts for a 30 knot 18in gunned battleship in service in the early war period unless it was a battlecruiser but that's another story.

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: Norseland: The Viking AUPosted: December 4th, 2012, 12:02 pm
It would seem Norseland never signed any of the treaties... and from a technological standpoint, several designs were considered during the '20s and '30s by at least Japan which met these criteria.

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Norseland: The Viking AUPosted: December 4th, 2012, 12:07 pm
The French Le Fatasque is from the mid thirties and was capable of 45 knots. That speed is possible. I will see about lowering the TTs and shortening the barrels. I will also shorten the barrels. According to NavWeaps the 5"/38 was capable of 22 RPM with base rings and integral hoist.

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_5-38_mk12.htm

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: Norseland: The Viking AUPosted: December 4th, 2012, 12:08 pm
denodon wrote:
Those kinds of speeds were not reached at the time you say
French Mogador class grand destroyers have top speed 39 knots on trials achieved 43 knots. But they were grand destroyers with 4k tons displacement and almost 140m lenght.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 24 of 34  [ 336 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 122 23 24 25 2634 »

Jump to: