Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 24 of 56  [ 554 posts ]  Go to page « 122 23 24 25 2656 »
adenandy
Post subject: Re: Commonwealth of RecherchePosted: June 1st, 2014, 4:20 pm
Bombhead wrote:
Andy is that not HMS Bristol at Whale Island ? HMS Kent was sold for scrap and in 1998 she was towed to India to be broken up.
Nice design Rowdy, she looks good to me mate. :P
D'OH! :oops:

You are of course absolutely RIGHT Bombhead and I'm absolutely wrong. :roll:

:? I have NO idea why I said Kent :lol:

[Profile] [Quote]
Rowdy36
Post subject: Re: Commonwealth of RecherchePosted: June 2nd, 2014, 10:52 am
Modified drawings with new/moved directors, moved Sea Cat and removed 40mm from original version. I figured having the M44 directors sponsoned out would be as good a place as any to provide maximum view angles.
Thanks for the powerplant drawing Ace, they do have the same powerplant as the Counties and I was pleasantly surprised to find the funnels matched up exactly with the drawing you provided.

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Commonwealth of RecherchePosted: June 2nd, 2014, 1:10 pm
I just love the way this ship looks. It has all the beauty of a County but actually looks different from a County and much closer to the early 1950s style of RN designs with their low bridges etc. This is the first proper AU Sea Slug destroyer I've seen that doesn't kitbash a County but actually ends up being something quite like a County. This is another top-notch drawing.

I've a few comments, questions and suggestions though:
1) Is 1965 not a little early to fit Ikara? I always thought it was an early 1970s weapon, though of course its your AU and you can mess with the timings if you wish - mainly a question to ease my own query over dates.
2) Why two Ikara launchers? I can see that there is not much centreline room and of course if mounted to one side, arcs are blocked on the other. But you'd never be likely to launch two Ikaras at separate targets on each beam at stand-off range. Indeed with only one Ikara tracking radar is a multiple engagement possible? My other major concern is weight, the Counties were big ships but they were heavy and had little margin, fitting Ikara or ASROC would have cost them all the 4.5in guns for example.
There might be room to squeeze a centreline launcher admidships near where the Sea Cat is now, but that means moving the magazine either forwards or aft to compensate.
3) Maybe fit the Type 965M (any topweight concerns notwithstanding) to give better coverage at higher altitudes, a single array version might not be very useful by the time of the MLU.
4) On the MLU, is the new cruise-missile using all the original magazine space?

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Rowdy36
Post subject: Re: Commonwealth of RecherchePosted: June 3rd, 2014, 5:38 am
Thanks Hood, I'll try and address your concerns as well as I can:
1 & 2) I based the Ikara set up on that fitted to the Perth class DDGs commissioned in the same time period. From further research it seems that although they were fitted for Ikara at commissioning, the launchers weren't fitted until later that decade - I would imagine a similar scenario with the Condingups also. Why two launchers? Good question. I can only guess that the two launchers on the Perth class would offer either a quicker reaction to contacts off each beam (not having to reload a launcher to make the second shot), or more likely it might have been the easiest way to fit the launchers and magazine in the space available... On further scrutiny I have reduced the number of missiles available on the B side, and modified the midships launcher area because I had forgotten to do it before. The setup now would be similar to the Perth class with the two launchers on each beam and just a narrow walkway separating them. Regarding the weight issue I have no expertise in that area so I can't say yay or nay, but being an AU I think if it's borderline then it's as good as a pass for me. One option as you said is to just have one launcher on one side and accept the loss in capability that would result.
3) Added the Type 965M.
4) Yes - my intention with the cruise missile was to develop a missile that could utilise the magazine and handling systems of the Sea Slug once it was removed from service. Since Sea Slug itself was a big missile (6m x 0.4m - with Tomahawk being 5.5m x 0.5m if Wikipedia is to be believed), I'm thinking an AU missile with similar dimensions could deliver a 500lb warhead to 500km?

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Commonwealth of RecherchePosted: June 3rd, 2014, 9:05 am
This AU cruise missile seem interesting idea. And by the way, very handsome ship!

[Profile] [Quote]
Rowdy36
Post subject: Re: Commonwealth of RecherchePosted: June 3rd, 2014, 3:58 pm
Thanks Odysseus! I ended up doing a very rough parts sheet for Recherche (for modern weapons at least), though many of these parts are yet to make it into a drawing:

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Commonwealth of RecherchePosted: June 3rd, 2014, 6:27 pm
Those arguments sound and look good to me!

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
LEUT_East
Post subject: Re: Commonwealth of RecherchePosted: June 4th, 2014, 7:21 am
Mate, this AU is so amazing. The Condingup Class is an amazing design. I would love to use that in my AU ;)

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Rowdy36
Post subject: Re: Commonwealth of RecherchePosted: June 4th, 2014, 8:19 am
Thanks LEUT_East, that means a lot coming from yourself with your own fantastic AU! Feel free to use any of my designs if you wish :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: Commonwealth of RecherchePosted: June 6th, 2014, 10:37 pm
;) Top-Notch work Rowdy as always, Zealandia is very interested in the Taylor class

References and feedback is always welcome!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 24 of 56  [ 554 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 122 23 24 25 2656 »

Jump to: