Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 22 of 68  [ 673 posts ]  Go to page « 120 21 22 23 2468 »
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: July 8th, 2012, 4:19 pm
I agree with Rowdy the contrast between the two colours seems better (at least on my monitor). Keep up the wonderful back-story too!

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: July 8th, 2012, 6:30 pm
I agree, first of all with Blackbuck on his comments and compliments. Secondly, Redhorse, your war bulletins, albeit immensely captivating, leads me to wonder how the large German population, especially in the Hill Country,around such towns as Fredericksburg, New Braunfels, but also further East towards Georgetown and Round Rock might view Texas's war against teir old Fatherland. I can imagine that there would be a great many first- and second generations living, and the tater being of adult age. I'm myself married to a woman of German-Bohemian origins, and Bohemia was one of te core lands f the Austro-Hungarian Empire. As a reminder, then lt. Chester W. Nimitz, born in Fredericksburg, was of German decent.

[Profile] [Quote]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: July 8th, 2012, 7:29 pm
Bezobrazov I have read that in fact many German Americans fought for the United States in World War One
at least according to Eleventh Month, Eleventh Day, Eleventh Hour
now I am not saying all German Americans fought for America nor am I saying that the German Texans would fight
and I do think your point is completely valid and I respect it especially considering your a historian IIRC but just food for thought German Americans fought for the US
but to get more on topic Redhorse fantastic drawings love the new paint jobs truly excellent

References and feedback is always welcome!

[Profile] [Quote]
Redhorse
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: July 8th, 2012, 7:55 pm
Quote:
wonder how the large German population, especially in the Hill Country,around such towns as Fredericksburg, New Braunfels, but also further East towards Georgetown and Round Rock might view Texas's war against teir old Fatherland. I can imagine that there would be a great many first- and second generations living, and the tater being of adult age. I'm myself married to a woman of German-Bohemian origins, and Bohemia was one of te core lands f the Austro-Hungarian Empire. As a reminder, then lt. Chester W. Nimitz, born in Fredericksburg, was of German decent.
It's not an invalid point. The Germans that settled in the Hill Country were intellectuals. Interestingly, they were persecuted and abused during the American Civil War because they refused to fight for the Confederacy. In an interesting twist of real history, many of them took their horses and formed the First Texas Cavalry to fight for the Union. Hence, there are two First Texas Cavalry Regiments - one Confederate and one Federal. In this AU, the 21st Brigade's Badge is that of one of the divisions in the 19th Corps, which fought in Louisiana (as unofficial expats, of course).

My grandparents told me that my great-grandparents, though very German in their personal conduct (speaking German in the house and at Sunday services) never took one side or the other during the war. They were more interested in being good citizens than anything else. My ancestors left Germany to avoid the abuses of the many unification attempts of the 19th century. They had no love for a Prussian Kaiser (we're from Sachsen) nor for the Crimean War which started just as they emigrated. There may have been reservations about fighting the Fatherland from many of them, but as is often the case, children of immigrants are encouraged or expected to take up arms for their new country under parental pressure to prove they're good citizens. And Texas has a way of making you one of us, regardless of where you're from.

Current Projects:
Republic of Texas Navy
FD Scale F-14s

[Profile] [Quote]
Redhorse
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: July 8th, 2012, 8:15 pm
By the summer of 1918, most Texas Navy ships had taken on all the modifications possible. Starting in June, the destroyer fleet began fitting American Mark I depth charge racks and had either Thornycroft throwers or American Y guns if there was room available.

The Beaumont Class initially used slings and Thornycroft throwers, but only had sufficient deck space in the end for two racks at the stern. Here is DD-2 Brazoria in her final configuration, painted in the dazzle scheme applied in the spring of 1918:
[ img ]

The Dallas Class fared better in armament. They had greater deck space, so by the summer of 1918 they were fitted with a pair of Mark I racks at the stern and a Y gun:
[ img ]

Current Projects:
Republic of Texas Navy
FD Scale F-14s

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: July 8th, 2012, 9:32 pm
Interesting choice of colors in the dazzle paint Red.
I love this thread, and so I say keep it up.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Redhorse
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: July 9th, 2012, 1:20 pm
The capital ships were not as heavily modified as the destroyers, but by the summer of 1918 most of them had taken on the last of their changes. Permanent enclosed bridges were fitted, armored rangefinders were installed to replace the temporary fixtures on their turrets. Paravanes were put aboard to counter the threat of mines to such valuable and expensive vessels. Most ships, by this time, also carried a fair number of life rafts to complement the ship's boats.

Here is CA-4 San Jacinto, as she looked in the summer of 1918:
[ img ]

Like most capital ships, she wasn't camouflaged as extensively as the small ships. But San Jac shows the modifications of the time, to include the bearing scales on her turrets. The Campeche class still had problems with gunnery, since unlike the battleships, they didn't have the spotting tops of their bigger cousins. Plans have been made to fit them with tripod or cage foremasts over the winter to take a spotter's position with a rangefinder.

Current Projects:
Republic of Texas Navy
FD Scale F-14s

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: July 9th, 2012, 2:16 pm
It's stunning. The ships, their painting, the background description and "news from the front". All of it!

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: July 9th, 2012, 7:38 pm
Getting better 'n' better for each posting!

[Profile] [Quote]
Redhorse
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: July 11th, 2012, 1:45 am
BB-1 Austin shows the full extent of the modifications to the capital ships. Like the Campeche class cruisers, they have the bearing scales, armored rangefinders, paravanes, and the multiplicity of life rafts lashed down where possible. Torpedo defense platforms were fitted to the masts below the searchlights and their positions sheltered from the North Atlantic weather with canvas until permanent enclosures could be fitted.

[ img ]

Current Projects:
Republic of Texas Navy
FD Scale F-14s

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 22 of 68  [ 673 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 120 21 22 23 2468 »

Jump to: