Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 3  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: My idea, 1919: The German Empire after the First World WPosted: August 16th, 2015, 6:25 pm
Whatever you decide for a post-war treaty, there is going to need to be a limiting factor on German ship building. The only way for the Germans to be able to build big unlimited ships is if there was no WW1.

[Profile] [Quote]
seeker36340
Post subject: Re: My idea, 1919: The German Empire after the First World WPosted: August 18th, 2015, 5:15 pm
JSB wrote:
seeker36340 wrote:
*The question of a Washington Naval Treaty - what are the results for Germany? My private AU has them ending up as a "raider/carrier" High Seas Fleet with 1927 and 1932 battleship tonnage (70,000 tons total) used to build 17,500-ton (sic) diesel raiders along the lines of Syzmo's Moltke class versus battleships. The aircraft carrier is the new capital ship, with the supporting elements (except the U-Boats) designed to support carriers
The main problem is that would GB be willing to sign up to any treaty that allows Germany to have raiders ? (or at least in any number that threaten the only possible opponent)

With Germany building raiders the RN will insist they can match them, the RN will be stuck having to build fast anti raider to match them, the problem is they will also need battleships as well (to match other nations) and the anti raider will count in any tonnage/numbers limit (but will not be able to do both jobs as you probably cant build a fast protected BB 16" on 35,000t, you can only get fast or 16" guns)

The simple way out is that RN gets more (numbers) ships or larger (faster) ships but that might not be acceptable to the others ;)

So what would you end up with ?
If we use the WNT the British are sort of stuck. The Germans would choose to build the Syzmo raiders in the late 1920s and early 30s as per the original WNT. The battleship building holiday would last until 1930, so if the holiday remains in effect until 1936 after the 1930 London conference then the RN can't build new capital ships. This I suspect would lead to a major renegotiation at the London conference. Lots of interesting possibilities here....

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 3  [ 22 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3

Jump to: