Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 7  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 57 »
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Crowned Republic of AvalonPosted: April 30th, 2013, 10:54 am
From Argentina??? Gosh, wonder what kind of misfit that would've been, considering that they, themselves ordered theirs from Cramps, Philadelphia, PA! In fact, Argentina has, to my knowledge, still no remarkable or particular naval shipbuilding capacity/capability! - So talk about a lofty pipe dream!

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Crowned Republic of AvalonPosted: April 30th, 2013, 10:56 am
bezobrazov wrote:
From Argentina??? Gosh, wonder what kind of misfit that would've been, considering that they, themselves ordered theirs from Cramps, Philadelphia, PA! In fact, Argentina has, to my knowledge, still no remarkable or particular naval shipbuilding capacity/capability! - So talk about a lofty pipe dream!
yup, they probably wanted to bay one of the Argentina's navy own BB's!

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Crowned Republic of AvalonPosted: May 1st, 2013, 11:40 am
Pre Great War vessels have been (hopefully) completed. Possibly the most tiresome drawings I've ever done being well out of my comfort zone period wise.

~ Regards Mark.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Crowned Republic of AvalonPosted: May 1st, 2013, 12:21 pm
I have to ask how you've come up with those population stats. You've got a population density that's only seen on much much smaller islands and enclaves. How did you breed a population that's several times the size of all the other islands in the area combined? Let alone feed them? You'd need a constant stream of freighters just to keep the basics in stock. If one bad storm closes the ports (A routine occurrence at those latitudes) it'll cause a food shortage. Even if it won't cause people to starve it will make prices soar which will make it impossible to keep a stable economy. In order for this nation to work you'll have to reduce everything by a factor of ten or so.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Crowned Republic of AvalonPosted: May 1st, 2013, 1:24 pm
As I see it the idea was with the advent of widespread artificially controlled climate agriculture in the 19th century to offset the amount of foodstuffs that would be required to be brought in by sea. The ability to grow wheat, barley, oats and rye domestically in at the very least amounts to be self sufficient throughout any lengthy storms or acts of God.
These giant greenhouse farms would be responsible not only for production of basic foodstuffs for the populous but for animal feed for the countless hardy breeds of cattle and sheep on at least the main island. The ability to sustain growth to at least a certain extent domestically early on fuels an population boom post 1914-18 from around 3.4 in 1911 (high but plausible at least to me from former EIC related people, miners, fishermen, former penal colony internees and Antarctic research dependants) to 5.1 million in 1931 not just through more births but through the settlement of foreigners in Avalon come to work the expanding coal and REM mines. Industrial and agricultural expansion continues apace throughout the thirties to the outbreak of the second world war with the population topping 6 million by the end of 1939.
Due to the fact that Avalon exists so far south this should preclude extensive casualties throughout the war with the majority of deaths coming from merchant vessels sunk in the Indian ocean and volunteers joining the commonwealth forces.

Between 1941 and 1971 the population would grow steadily once again to 8.3 million with the discovery of massive oil and gas pockets off the coast of the main island and the discovery of further REM deposits. This in turn would necessitate more of a reliance on domestic products in turn leading to more advanced and artificially sustained agriculture in the form of (from the late fifties onwards) geodesic multi story domes, rooftop greenhouses and underground farms. Discovery of substantial veins of natural Chromium and Chromite ore in 1969 brought interest from South Africa resulting in further development and affluence.
Between 1971 and 2001 the population would increase to around 12.9 million. Between 2001 and 2011 the population would rise to near the final figure of 13.7 million with the opening of permanent Antarctic research communities and increasing numbers of ex-pats from places like the UK, Iceland and Canada relocating either out of wanting for a new way of live or as dependants on workings emigrants from things such as the gas/oil industry or the increasing number of agronomists.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Provisional Ladies...Posted: December 11th, 2013, 5:56 pm
Messing about in downtime whilst I'm ill with designs for Avalon... (Whilst also trying to get a decent white balance on my monitor)

Was wondering about what would be the main line of frigates before the Formidable based set that are current and came up with a Broadsword (III) derivation. There were so many subtle pixel errors on the original drawing that I'm positive that I can't have gotten rid of them all or have more than likely cocked some details up whilst trying to do so...
Anways, thoughts on plausibility and feasibility? I should point out this is in SLEP state so current around now until around 2015ish.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Crowned Republic of AvalonPosted: December 11th, 2013, 6:12 pm
You've got some pixel errors in the black outlines but other than that you seem to have caught them all.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Crowned Republic of AvalonPosted: December 11th, 2013, 6:20 pm
- I am a bit worried about the line of sight from the bridge due to the missile system. any chance on lowering it half a deck?
- I am a bit worried about putting ARTISAN on an hull already near the end of it's life.
- I do not know what missile system you have on the bow, but I think it would be best to check it's weight on that of the sea wolf originally there. you might counter a bit with the weight of the gun being lower then that of the seawolf though.....
- I am not certain if it would be good to give all functions (radar, director and targeting) to the ARTISAN.

other then that, mostly my question is if we may see the original variant :P

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Crowned Republic of AvalonPosted: December 11th, 2013, 6:53 pm
@ LoS over the bow, that could be remedied one of two ways I guess, lower the blast enclosure slightly and (or) incorporate a slight bridge modification with a raised pilot house?
@ Artisan could well be "Christmas-treed" onto other vessels (I'm thinking either Athlhas 26000 (Juan Carlos sans ski-ramp) or Svalbards) Though that might be a bit much...
@ Pew pew sticks. Mica leading into (when ready) Sea Ceptor - I was banking on the launcher itself being lower counteracting some of the CoG / weight issues as you mention
@ Original variant. You could if I hadn't started twitching at the thought of having to correct more pixel errors. Visualize if you will Crotale forward with mistral (on a simbad twin) atop the bridge and aft) First mods would be the 25mm CIWS displacing one of the Simbad launchers, next would come the launcher fit / replacement then finally Artisan.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Crowned Republic of AvalonPosted: December 12th, 2013, 10:57 am
The torpedo tubes are mounted far too high, better to place them below and just aft of the dingy on the main deck. Other than that I've nothing else to add to the comments here and I'd say its generally plausible.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 7  [ 65 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 57 »

Jump to: