Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 5  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Wolfman
Post subject: Re: Objective Global WarshipPosted: July 29th, 2011, 4:09 pm
TimothyC wrote:
Wikipedia & Universe wrote:
HOLY Sh**! Grab a tissue box, IT'S A F***ING U.S. LONGSWORD.[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]/trololololo
I would be so tempted to use this, but my better judgement won out and I won't. Just a couple of questions. Are those MLRS rockets factual or non-factual? Also by permission do you mean crediting the author in the top right, or something even further?
He means further. In short you can use stuff like the PAC-3, and maybe GBI, but much beyond that starts getting off limits.

The MLRS systems are non-factual, but derived from current concepts.
Colombamike wrote:
Baaaaaaaah too gigantic
Maybe more nice to see a "much+++ smaller" (realistic) version...
- 155-185 meters for a ABM destroyers (may be very nice to see them)
- 185-225 meters for a ABM cruisers
no more big...
Maybe you missed the part where BUDGETS ARE DEATH, or the part where it is used to dominate entire planets.
Demon Lord Razgriz wrote:
Also, just where is the mandatory Regulation size Basketball court at, Shipbuilder Erik? High Command is not pleased with this oversight! :P
It's got the volume in there someplace. It carries an entire MEU, a single basketball court is almost nothing in comparison,
It only carries a single battalion? Or are you talking about an MEF (Marine Expeditionary Force) which is about the size of a division?

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Objective Global WarshipPosted: July 29th, 2011, 4:15 pm
Merely the battalion-based expeditionary unit. Major landings are not the purpose of OGW; a true invasion would be supported by other units entirely. We're almost volume-unlimited, but there is only so much capacity to move ground units ashore (currently something like 4 LCAC and a small pile of MV-22).

[Profile] [Quote]
Wolfman
Post subject: Re: Objective Global WarshipPosted: July 29th, 2011, 4:42 pm
Thanks for the explanation.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Objective Global WarshipPosted: July 30th, 2011, 2:45 am
Updated.

[ img ]

Corrections/modifications/etc:
  • Secondary (flight-deck-angles) radar sets are now SPY-1A size.
  • HF comms are now in place - I'm rather embarrassed that I forgot them. Six 35ft whips in bandpass dielectric covers on superstructure edges, all T/R capable.
  • Outboard ESM installed. Arguably unnecessary due to wide spacing of existing ECM/ESM sets, but interferometry is hard to duplicate by other means.
  • MWVR navigation sets have become peppered all over, which seems sensible enough. Surface search is important, and no reason to waste effective air search on such.
  • Large portions of main ESM/ECM array have appeared elsewhere on the hull.
  • Said portion of array now has intrinsic heightfinding capability.
  • Fixed shading of aft-facing radars, etc.
  • Some parts (eg main lasers) are now shown open.

[Profile] [Quote]
Dreadnaught
Post subject: Re: Objective Global WarshipPosted: July 31st, 2011, 5:11 am
*puts on The Imperial March CD* so where are Lord Vader's quarters at?

[Profile] [Quote]
Wikipedia & Universe
Post subject: Re: Objective Global WarshipPosted: July 31st, 2011, 7:50 am
erik_t wrote:
Wikipedia & Universe wrote:
@Erik: May I use the MLRS rockets?
The uppermost one is, as I recall, the real-world GMLRS. Extra-long range NDB rocket makes sense, if you want nuclear ASW, even in a smallish-ship context. Launching things out of a non-VLS doesn't make sense for anything but a stupidhuge ship with intrinsic reload capability.

Keep to the real rocket and the nuclear version, fired from VLS.
I'm specifically asking about the MLRS/SB, MLRS/DC, and MLRS/DC-SR. What are each of those? May I please use them so long as I credit you?

[Profile] [Quote]
Biancini1995
Post subject: Re: Objective Global WarshipPosted: August 20th, 2011, 3:43 pm
i think this size is exelent to me do the Drunna Skass of the Naval Ops Commander!

And will be the Largest Fictional Ship maybe in ShipBucket ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Objective Global WarshipPosted: August 21st, 2011, 10:58 pm
I had been fighting my own concern about the superstructure sitting too far aft on OGW (a look at the port side makes the whole thing look almost comical). I decided to do a volume buildup to see how bad things were.

Measurements are by hand and stations are about 50ft apart, so it's pretty granular and low-fidelity. An argument could be made that the sponsons should count against superstructure rather than above-water hull, but they would be very heavily built and it ends up not really mattering anyway.

[ img ]

Centroids:
BWL 1262ft aft of FP
AWL 1283ft aft of FP
SS 1310ft aft of FP

That's a range of about 2% of the overall length. Given the low fidelity analysis, and the large concentrated weights we can move around to balance the design (eg reactors), I proclaim her to be shockingly well proportioned.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Objective Global WarshipPosted: August 22nd, 2011, 12:32 am
I agree with you, she definitively looks well proportioned. (I imagine there would be tour guides for new sailors )

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Objective Global WarshipPosted: August 22nd, 2011, 1:27 am
A slight update. Many retractable radio masts have been added on the weather deck (four each HF/VHF/UHF). Each band has one mast folding forward/aft/port/starboard; in this way, optimal skywave propagation can be achieved. They are intended primarily for casualty use, but would also be helpful in very safe waters to deny megacommie AGIs information on main comms lobe patterns etc. Helo spots are now USN standard, which look much better IMHO.

Side view, most systems open/deployed

Top view, still incomplete

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 5  [ 49 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: