Building: 2
Planned: 13 - 17

Complement: 75 (40 officers)

Hull-
Double-hulled: aluminum alloys & low-magnetic steel

Armament:

x6 650mm Torpedo Tubes

38 torpedoes/mines (533mm & 650mm) & missiles

x6 vertical launch cells (angled inward centerline)
w/
6 Starfall cruise missiles

Tonnage:

Surfaced: 5,970 t
Submerged: 7,105 t

Max speed:

Surfaced: 14 kts
Submerged: 41+ kts

Operating Depth:
Safe: 600 m
Test: 670 m
Never exceed: 725 m
Crush: 850 m

Power-

x2 TRISO (w/ uranium nitride) fueled, carbon dioxide cooled, fast reactors (220 MW*th)
80,200 HP @ (two shafts)

x2 steam-turbines
x1 gas-turbine

x2 bow-plane mounted, silent-running electric cruise motors, 1,200 hp

(Credit goes to MihoshiK for part of the sail)

Starfall Missile:

(designed via Planebuilder)

Design date: 1968

Launch Weight: 13,700 lbs
Empty Weight: 8,329 lbs

Launch method: submerged via water impulse

Guidance: Inertial & Active-Radar

Design Limit (IAS): 2,000 kts

Warhead: 1,200 lb

Nuclear: 400 kt

or-

1,200 lbs of cyclotrimethylenetrinitramine

Powerplant-
Intake: 1.4 ft
Bypass ratio: 0.65
Variable geometry: 0.5 ft

Thrust: 12,063 lbs
SFC: 1.51 lbs/ lb thrust/ hr
Weight: 2,889 lbs

Maximum Speed:
1,777 kts (2,044 mph) @ 40,000 ft
1,835 kts (2,110 mph) @ 35,000 ft
1,212 kts (1,394 mph) @ 250 ft (2.56 lb/ lb thrust / hr TSFC)

Range:
932 nmi @ 1,100 kts & 30,000 ft
501 nmi @ 1,100 kts & 250 ft

Last edited by CATZ on June 28th, 2011, 6:50 am, edited 8 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: Pax Universalis, The AUPosted: June 27th, 2011, 6:57 am
Okay, I present to you the DCNs "Boomer""

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Pax Universalis, The AUPosted: June 27th, 2011, 7:45 am
CATZ wrote:
Snip
Isn't 1968 a bit early for VLS launched cruise missiles?

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: Pax Universalis, The AUPosted: June 27th, 2011, 3:56 pm
Thiel wrote:
CATZ wrote:
Snip
Thiel, I "okayed" the design. And I don't think they are VLS, more of a port/starboard launch system, if he states them as VLS he needs to change that. If I remember correctly they also need to be surface launched.

CATZ, you might want to re think your dates there, and date them a little earlier and give them an older system, you have to look at history, and allow for that kind of development.

I am willing to let some things slide and fudge things a few years, BUT only by a few years, anything dating 1975 or later does not get fudged.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Pax Universalis, The AUPosted: June 27th, 2011, 4:28 pm
Ok. It just looks a lot more modern than the SSGs of the era.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Carnac
Post subject: Re: Pax Universalis, The AUPosted: June 27th, 2011, 6:19 pm
Also, in the stat block, it says "Launched: Submerged via water impulse".

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Pax Universalis, The AUPosted: June 27th, 2011, 8:51 pm
Republic of Wayward
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
The Republic of Wayward history is long and violent. For hundreds of years the people of the mountains raided the rich lowlands to the west forcing them into walled cities. Over time these cities grew first to citystates and then into a country proper. Thus unified the lowlands suddenly represented too mighty a foe for the ferocious but badly equipped mountain people. Seeking new prey they turned to the sea. The first couple of attempts at pirating were less than successful, but eventually they managed to build sufficiently sturdy ships and for the next 300 years they became the terror of sea, raiding across the inland sea and up and down the coast of [Insert Name] sea, eventually reaching as far as [North East corner of continent]
As time went on the various communities started to unite against the Waylanders, causing entire nations to arise. With their prey once again rising up against them the Waylanders turned their attention ever farther away, but it couldn't last. As the flow of treasure slowly dried up trouble started brewing in the mountains and within a few short years the mountain passes became dangerous places. Were travellers once had been welcome, they now had to go armed. It soon devolved into open warfare, with clans fighting clans for each and every piece of non vertical land.
Exactly how long this wore on is unclear, but it's known exactly when it ended. In 1597 a alliance of minor clans led by Eidal Geirson rose out of nowhere and within four years they'd manage to conquer almost the entire mountain range.
A few years later the first warbands began pouring out of the mountains and down into the lowlands.
The Lowlanders were completely unprepared for this and they soon fell once the warbands were replaced with proper armies.
However, the Waylanders were not content. For almost half a century, until Eidar Geirson died, they waged war on their neighbours, but their luck had turned and they gained very little from these wars.
Thus bridled the Waylanders settled down and began focusing on their own country and industry. The Geirsons became the royal family and they would reign the country for more than two centuries.
The next two hundred years were relatively quiet, with the exception of the occasional boarder skirmish and a short war with their western neighbour.
Due to their joint command of the [Insert name] Straight, tension has been constant between Wayland and Carnac and small clashes between their navies weren't frequent. (Subject to Carnacs approval)

In 1919 the Spring Revolution swept the country and entire cities rose up in revolt. The King ordered the army and navy to put it down. The resulting fighting became infamous for being amongst some of the bloodiest in their already bloody history. Entire cities were left almost abandoned.
The revolt was eventually put down, but not before it had caused almost irreparable damage to the economy. In the years after the King was faced with growing criticism of how he'd handled the revolt and the following economic downturn and in 1925 he was forced to abdicate. Over the next ten years the Kingdom of Wayland was transformed into a republic.

[More to come]

The Wayland Navy
The Wayland navy can trace its roots back to before the unification. Throughout its history it has been known for competence and skill. [More to come]

Units:
The WN currently posses 7 Frigates, 4 corvettes, 26 MTBs, 4 missile boats, 10 submarines and a host of patrol boats and smaller patrol craft.

[ img ]
When it was launched in 1957 the Orca class submarine represented a serious leap in capability for the WNs submarine arm.
It introduced the new HTP powered T58 torpedo. The T58 is a highly unusual torpedo. In order to increase weapons stowage and load flexibility it was designed with a detachable warhead and seeker. Each boat carries 8 torpedoes and 12 warheads, usually 8 S58 ASuWs and 4 S61 ASWs. Additionally there's also a training round available, the S57.
Alternatively the Orca can carry up to 16 M67 dual fuse bottom mines, 24 M55 Magnetic mines or 18 M50 Contact mines.

[ img ]
Launched between 1962 and 1966 the Seal Class is the newest class of submarines in the WNs inventory. Designed specifically for shallow water operations and low manning requirements it presents an efficient and deadly package. It has proven to be quite an export success as well, with 5 units build in Weyland for foreign navies and a further 3 build on license.

Worklist

Last edited by Thiel on June 28th, 2011, 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
swin_lad
Post subject: Re: Pax Universalis, The AUPosted: June 27th, 2011, 9:14 pm
Peoples Democratic Carris (PDC(My Teams new manager :P)

[ img ]

The PDC was created when a group of tribes megered their lands to become one of the earliest democracies. It prides it self in being a fully independent state which only acts in its interests and during conflict refuses to take sides. It's military is a basic one which includes 4 Through-Deck Crusiers, 2 Landing Ships, 4 Missile Crusiers, 8 Destoryers, 8 Frigates, 10 Corrvets, 8 Auxileries and 20 Fast Attack Craft. It has an airforce of 150 Fast Jets among other aircraft. The army is a small highly mobile force for peace keeping operations although it does have permenant positions for the defence of the homeland. The forces are merged into the CDF (Carris Defence Force)

Currency - PCD Amp
Population - 55 Million
GDP Per Capita - &40,000
Defence Budget - 1.5% of GDP

More to Follow

Nick

@ashwellkennedy

[Profile] [Quote]
CATZ
Post subject: Re: Pax Universalis, The AUPosted: June 28th, 2011, 5:55 am
Thiel wrote:
Ok. It just looks a lot more modern than the SSGs of the era.
I'd say its on par with the Alfa or Victor I classes. Or a Papa Class. I used a Sturgeon and Los Angeles class hull to make it.
Quote:
The first submerged launch of a missile was the USS George Washington, in 1960, launching a Polaris missile. I simply used the same method, giving the missile a shroud/ballast and booster. At which point it ascends to it's cruise altitude and follows a pre-designated flight pattern. But of course it was a SLBM.

If you wanted to play it safer than that example, there were submerged launched cruise missiles during this time period from the Russians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_class_submarine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS-N-7

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_submarine_K-222

They were in service by 1968, and capable of being launched whilst submerged, at a depth of around 30 meters.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Pax Universalis, The AUPosted: June 28th, 2011, 7:42 am
Oh, it seems I had my brain turned back a bit too far then. When people say SSGN I always think of the Echo class.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 34  [ 331 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 534 »

Jump to: