Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 20 of 21  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page « 1 … 17 18 19 20 21 »
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: June 5th, 2011, 8:41 pm
You might want to switch to the newer Harriers.

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: June 5th, 2011, 8:47 pm
Quote:
hmm... the best thing to achieve that would be to let it not look so much like AEGIS. is it your intention to make it do both search and tracking/targeting, or are you gonna use 2 different systems for that?
My idea is to use a single system to do both.

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: June 5th, 2011, 8:54 pm
hmm you will need large phased arrays then..... and may I refer to the US members now? my knowledge to this kind of stuff is limited, if you used thales I could help a bit.....

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: June 5th, 2011, 8:58 pm
Quote:
Where are they? I'm using the ones from page 3 of the Planebucket thread, which were the most recent I could locate in there.

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: June 5th, 2011, 9:09 pm
SpamBot 454 wrote:
Quote:
Where are they? I'm using the ones from page 3 of the Planebucket thread, which were the most recent I could locate in there.
I only meant the landed ones:

VoilΓ 

Page 6 of said thread.

I really need to make an index.

Edit: This is of course if you are using Harrier 2s, and not Harriers or Sea Harriers.

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: June 5th, 2011, 9:14 pm
Quote:
hmm you will need large phased arrays then..... and may I refer to the US members now? my knowledge to this kind of stuff is limited, if you used thales I could help a bit.....
Thales has Herakles which is designed to guide Aster. I'm getting ready to switch over to SM-6 ERAM which doesn't need directors, so newer radar is desirable to go along with it. I chose the present drawing, because it looks something like APAR, in general outline, and will give my vessels a somewhat uniform appearance. Being able to guide ESSM is also of great importance.

Now, the new system doesn't have to be as capable as the APAR/S1850M combo. I'm mainly needing it for General Purpose Frigates, and to hopefully squeeze some version of it onto my corvettes, not to mention an as-of-yet-undesigned patrol frigate.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: June 5th, 2011, 9:18 pm
if you use guided weapons only (so no semi-active) you could use an search radar without directors, if I'm not wrong.

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: June 5th, 2011, 9:21 pm
ESSM is the big question, there.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: June 6th, 2011, 2:22 am
acelanceloet wrote:
if you use guided weapons only (so no semi-active) you could use an search radar without directors, if I'm not wrong.
Strictly speaking this is true; however typical search sets (L-band, say) have far too wide a beam for this to be a reasonable practice. One would need to revert to WW2-ish Royal Navy practice in having both a search radar and a so-called "target indicator" (really a short-range tight-beam search set).

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: June 6th, 2011, 6:51 am
Well, that's what the APAR/S1850M combo basically is. I just need to find one radar that can do both.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 20 of 21  [ 206 posts ]  Return to β€œAlternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 … 17 18 19 20 21 »

Jump to: