Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 19 of 31  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page « 117 18 19 20 2131 »
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Federal Republic of DentonPosted: August 1st, 2015, 10:53 am
I think this tank is very advanced for the era. It seems to have features from Merkava and a curious turret based on M60 A2 but with wings!

Why 121mm gun? It could be 5" (127mm) however, or even 120mm (like the Chieftain).

Or going for something I have in my mind for an AU India: An Arjun Mk1 derivative of Chieftain with a turret more rectangular. Gun for this design is a license made British Ordnance L11, 120mm rifled, while engine is the Leyland L60 uprated to 900 hp. Denton would have its own engine, my AU India is a faithful Commonwealth member.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Federal Republic of DentonPosted: August 1st, 2015, 1:59 pm
It's no more advanced than that of the Leopard 1 or the Chieftain.
ezgo394 wrote:
Some of these design features inspired the design and creation of the Israeli Merkava, which was built 10 years later.
It's probably a long shot, but why not?
This is what the turret looks like and what I tried to imitate in the drawing. The 'wing' that you're probably referring to is the loader's hatch, on a projecting bay from the turret.
[ img ]

121mm is rounded from 120.65, which is 4 3/4." It's a pure domestic design. Maybe the gun doesn't work well and Denton chooses to go with the Royal Ordinance 120mm. Don't know yet.

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
Judah14
Post subject: Re: Federal Republic of DentonPosted: August 1st, 2015, 2:27 pm
Or maybe go with the Rheinmetall L55 for a future upgrade, which I think is the best tank gun of a similar caliber built so far.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Federal Republic of DentonPosted: August 1st, 2015, 5:24 pm
Or an domestic 120mm/L55 smooth bore, similar with Rheinmetall.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rowdy36
Post subject: Re: Federal Republic of DentonPosted: August 1st, 2015, 5:37 pm
I really like it! It looks like a beast of a tank with a cool looking turret. I assume the dates you've listed are production runs rather than service dates?

On the subject of the gun I think it's reasonable for the time, though I wonder if ~120mm is big enough for effective missiles? If you do however decide to go down the Royal Ordnance 120mm L11/L30 path you'd have ammo commonality with Recherche.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Federal Republic of DentonPosted: August 1st, 2015, 5:51 pm
Thanks Rowdy! :)
Yes, the dates I've listed are production dates. The tank is in continuous service from 1969 all the way to today.

I did some research and the size should be compatible. The Merkava uses their 120mm and 105mm for ATGMs, as well as the Soviets who developed an ATGM for their 100mm gun. The ATGM will not be in service when the tank enters service (it will enter service in 1973).
I'm just gonna stop going against the grain and change the caliber to 120mm and keep it like that. It will be a domestic 120mm rifled gun.

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rowdy36
Post subject: Re: Federal Republic of DentonPosted: August 1st, 2015, 6:28 pm
Fair enough, I was thinking the Russians only used the 125mm for missiles.
It could easily still be a 4.75in gun just rounded down to 120mm rather than up to 121mm, and don't stop going against the grain because of us, only do it if you want to :)

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Federal Republic of DentonPosted: August 2nd, 2015, 5:58 am
Yes, I think the 125mm was the first gun they implemented it on.
Yeah, I'm gonna say 120mm. I agree, but I gotta stop being such a rebel and wanting to be completely different :P .

Now for an update. I've changed the rear storage racks, and also completed a SPAAG and a 155mm SPG.
[ img ]
The SPAAG utilizes 2x 37mm autocannons, and the overall turret design is based on that of the M247 Sergeant York.
These are variants of the MkI Lion MBT. I've still got a bridgelayer, an ARV, and an engineering vehicle to do and then I'll get started on the MkII.

[Profile] [Quote]
pegasus206
Post subject: Re: Federal Republic of DentonPosted: August 2nd, 2015, 9:46 am
Realy nice vehicles ezgo. I you have the same idea abouth your MBT as i did. Iused the Desidn from the Merkava with that of the Leopard2 and use the Rheinmetal L44 and L55 Smoothbore 120mm guns on my tanks. As as Rheinmetal dit make a upgrade fore these guns to fire the Israëli LAHAT anti tank guided missile.

Looking forward to see your MKII and MKIII

Best Regards,
Aart.

Projects:

The Kingdom of Rochfort in FD

[Profile] [Quote]
Judah14
Post subject: Re: Federal Republic of DentonPosted: August 2nd, 2015, 12:43 pm
Nice work on the Lion AFV family!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 19 of 31  [ 308 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 117 18 19 20 2131 »

Jump to: