Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 16 of 90  [ 900 posts ]  Go to page « 114 15 16 17 1890 »
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: February 8th, 2011, 3:37 pm
Ashley wrote:
Even the red cross is no all time protection against loads of ammo. So any ship being a part of task forces was armed.
You wouldn't be referring to the Nazi U-boat that sunk Laconia and then hoisted a red cross to pick up the survivors?

I ask because the Nazi U-boat, after attempting to pick up the survivors (who were Italian POWs) fired back at the bomber while they had the red cross flag up.

Later on the same cruise they shot a few torpedoes off at some other ships.

Now under the rules of having a Red Cross flag, you can't have any weapons aboard. In short, the Nazi U-boat broke the rules first, and in doing so was awarded no protection by the flag.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: February 8th, 2011, 3:46 pm
Ashley wrote:
The Vaterland and her batallion managed that in a great manor until she surprisingly met the well hidden HMS Anson. Not able to flee or to fight the battleship Vaterland was sunk near Singapor. HMS Anson escaped to Australia.

I know, it's very AU...
...I know it's "very AU" but that reflects some extremely poor, perhaps even non-existent, operational planning.

...but then again....

TimothyC wrote:
I ask because the Nazi U-boat, after attempting to pick up the survivors (who were Italian POWs) fired back at the bomber while they had the red cross flag up.

Later on the same cruise they shot a few torpedoes off at some other ships.

Now under the rules of having a Red Cross flag, you can't have any weapons aboard. In short, the Nazi U-boat broke the rules first, and in doing so was awarded no protection by the flag.
That's mind-bogglingly retarded, and that actually happened!

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: No politics here please!Posted: February 9th, 2011, 7:02 am
Please don't let expand this to a political discussion here. Thank you. 8-)

"...that reflects some extremely poor, perhaps even non-existent, operational planning."
-> yes, of course it does! :twisted:

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: February 9th, 2011, 8:06 am
It's not so much politics as it's material needs. As I understand it, all these ships are build to invade Britain right?
Thing is, the distances you need to cover to get there are so short that you simply don't need anything this advanced.
An LPH is redundant when you have several airfields within easy flying distance of your target for instance.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: No politics here please!Posted: February 9th, 2011, 11:18 am
Ashley wrote:
Please don't let expand this to a political discussion here. Thank you. 8-)

"...that reflects some extremely poor, perhaps even non-existent, operational planning."
-> yes, of course it does! :twisted:
Then don't take pot-shots at US actions in WW2.

And for the record, you having a variant of Sea Lion go off and succeeding constitutes poor planing on your part.

[Profile] [Quote]
DER386
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: February 9th, 2011, 10:27 pm
Think about the size of the armada and the various types of ships used when the Allies invaded the continent at D-DAY. They used about every type of amphibious design.
Airlift is limited a space/weight availability per platform.
You would need a lot of the huge Me 323 "Giant" gliders or their multi-engine counterparts to move artillery & armor to the UK.
Why limit youself to a single method of delivering troops & resources.
Make the defenders life as difficult as possible.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: February 9th, 2011, 10:46 pm
Quote:
Think about the size of the armada and the various types of ships used when the Allies invaded the continent at D-DAY. They used about every type of amphibious design.
But take a look at what types of amphibs they had available.
They had landing crafts of various sizes and they had transports for the infantry because the infantry landing crafts didn't have the seakeaping to make the trip.
Not a single LPH or LPD in sight.
Quote:
Airlift is limited a space/weight availability per platform.
You would need a lot of the huge Me 323 "Giant" gliders or their multi-engine counterparts to move artillery & armor to the UK.
Yes? That's not going to change if you fly from an LPH. The allies did very well without suspiciously modern transports.
Quote:
Why limit youself to a single method of delivering troops & resources.
Economy and capacity.
You'll get more capacity and flexibility from using several civilian transports rather than a few military ones, and it'll in all likelihood
Quote:
Make the defenders life as difficult as possible.
SOmething which is better achieved by landing better equipped troops via conventional means. (All the money that you don't spend on LPD's etc. can be used on improving your troops equipment.)

You're trying to wage a 1940ies war with 1960ies or even 70ies technology, and you're doing it with a fleet better suited for the Pacific than the English Channel

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Rusel
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: March 30th, 2011, 11:55 am
Greetings All
This is my first post and I would like to jump in with two points.
1 great drawings
2 none really relevant
The KM could have developed MFP type vessels in late thirties as part of a "Control of the Baltic" strategy ala inability to combat GB subs and Rus vessels in the Great War
A 1200t 15kt version would have then been ideal for Sealion ops.
A Minenleger that could carry an armoured Landwasserschlepper Bn would provide a respectable landing capacity.
Also if glider development had been pushed and sufficient emphasis placed as per Russian locust troops then a combined ops landing with air cover may have succeeded even in 40.
The 40 scenario of course is dependent on Dunkirk being taken by Guderian and not left to be evacuated (all praise Hitler's stupidity).
A 46 scenario is dependent on all the points so far discussed but more importantly -no USA involvement (all praise Hitler's stupidity for declaring war on the US).
Only then could a stalemate in USSR (the only possible outcome given the vast distance), leave sufficient resources to achieve a possible UK invasion.
My thoughts on a landing ship proper would be along the lines of the USS Newport class developed indendently from experience in the "Baltic Control" operations.
Ciao

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: April 4th, 2011, 9:31 am
Rusel wrote:
A 46 scenario is dependent on all the points so far discussed but more importantly -no USA involvement
That was one central parameter at developing this AU.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: April 4th, 2011, 9:47 am
Ashley wrote:
Rusel wrote:
A 46 scenario is dependent on all the points so far discussed but more importantly -no USA involvement
That was one central parameter at developing this AU.
In order to keep the US out, you'll need to deny them causus belli. This has a lot of consequences, most importantly that unrestricted submarine warfare becomes impossible. This in turn means that Britain won't have to spend resources on protecting convoys since they'll hire US flagged ships instead, freeing up considerable resources that can go towards other operations.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 16 of 90  [ 900 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 114 15 16 17 1890 »

Jump to: