Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 14 of 16  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page « 112 13 14 15 16 »
Navybrat85
Post subject: Re: From-scratch BattleshipPosted: May 8th, 2013, 4:35 am
I am personally a fan of larger battleships, although being baptized on an Iowa class might make me a bit biased.

Some updates.

The basic layout of the ship.
[ img ]

Victoria during the early war, when Japanese ships, particularly submarines, ranged in the Makassar Straight and along the Borneo coast. To protect the ship in the shallows, the Navy adopted Measure 13.1, officially Coastal Jungle Mix, but known to the sailors as Borneo Freckles or Borneo Pox.

[ img ]

And for a sad story. Victoria was planned to be lead ship of a class of two. Her sister ship, Dauntless, was under construction in north Borneo when the Japanese invaded. the ship, in the process of fitting out it's weapons and electronics, was scambled from her berth incomplete and made a run for it. two days out of the North Borneo Shipworks, the untested, overworked boilers in the forward boiler rooms exploded. The explosion broke the ship in two, and within 2 hours she was totally gone with the loss of 180 sailors.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
denodon
Post subject: Re: From-scratch BattleshipPosted: May 8th, 2013, 6:40 am
I'm not sure a boiler explosion would destroy a battleship but that depends on where the boiler is too I suppose.

Also excellent work with that camouflage

[Profile] [Quote]
Navybrat85
Post subject: Re: From-scratch BattleshipPosted: May 8th, 2013, 10:22 am
I actually needed to ask about that, I used a technique for doing the camo that, thinking about it, I'm not sure is "Shipbucket legal". I spent a few hours playing around with a green background and the pencil and paintbucket features. the work being unsatisfactory, I used an image of a jungle, and put it through several of paint.net's effects filters. somewhat satisfied by the Borneo Freckle, I set it as the background, added the ship in a layer over it, and used varying shades of semi-transparent green as a filter.

[Profile] [Quote]
Navybrat85
Post subject: Re: the Republic of TequilapoliPosted: May 8th, 2013, 11:24 am
Thar be warships here, Maties!

[ img ]

Her aviation facilities are lookin' alive, she's got screws and rudders in place, sonar is pinging.

And her big sister is here.

[ img ]

I'm calling this the Avenger class CG

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: the Republic of TequilapoliPosted: May 8th, 2013, 11:48 am
Please, if you don't mind, replace those God-awful air intakes on your Avenger-class' stacks. They seem to somehow completely break up the funnel structures; really shatter them. You don't necessarily need to have the intakes on the funnel sides. There are other solutions, much neater. And, while you're at it: are those bridge windows more or less circular? Whatever form they are, they seem to be rather narrow, which would be detrimental for your navigation officer! The bridge is actually fine, just enlarge its windows.

[Profile] [Quote]
Navybrat85
Post subject: Re: the Republic of TequilapoliPosted: May 8th, 2013, 12:08 pm
yeah they are small, circular windows. As far as the stacks go I can work on those. I threw the intakes on as a placeholder and never replaced them. Whatever solution I come up with I'll also apply to the frigate (same goes for bridge windows)

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: the Republic of TequilapoliPosted: May 8th, 2013, 4:04 pm
Ok, that's fair enough. Then I'll await further development before critiquing.

[Profile] [Quote]
Navybrat85
Post subject: Re: From-scratch BattleshipPosted: June 6th, 2013, 4:46 pm
One thing I still have to figure out: American (And british, I think) large warships used large, silk powder bags for the propellant in large caliber naval guns. the Germans, from what I remember, used a large brass case and 1 silk bag for a full-service charge on their large naval guns. From what I remember, this gave a ship like Bismarck a rate of fire of 3 rounds per minute (I might be wrong on that...) while British and American ships were limited to 2 rounds a minute. My thinking was this: using the faster loading charge types would give the ship a maximum rate of fire of 36 14" shells per minute. Using a different powder mechanism than british or American ships, however, means that the ship would have to have a Tequilapolian ammunitition tender following it around, or have ammunition tenders running to various allied ports on the chance the Victoria puts in for stores. Using 4 or 6 silk bags is slower to reload, but also gives the ship a chance at using the same powder as American or British 14" guns, meaning that the logistical matters are easier to work out on farther ranging missions (more than 16 hours steaming out of home port, or 450 miles).

[Profile] [Quote]
Navybrat85
Post subject: Re: From-scratch BattleshipPosted: June 12th, 2013, 3:09 am
Moderators and Admins, if possible and preferable, I would have no objections with this thread being merged with the Republic of Tequilapoli thread in the AU Section

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: the Republic of TequilapoliPosted: June 12th, 2013, 3:59 am
Done.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 14 of 16  [ 154 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 112 13 14 15 16 »

Jump to: