Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 11 of 12  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page « 18 9 10 11 12 »
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: The Republic of the United States of DentonPosted: February 8th, 2012, 12:31 am
Blackbuck wrote:
*bashes head off table* You will be limited in the variety of stores that you can fit inside that bomb bay no matter how you poke it. Aircraft don't just use bombs. Drag isn't that much of a problem when you have copious amounts of thrust/power.
Drag is a problem if you're concerned about range but your point still stands. His aircraft have quite a few problems but I'm honestly not so concerned about it because it's a small part of a bigger picture of problems.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: The Republic of the United States of DentonPosted: February 8th, 2012, 1:36 am
klagldsf wrote:
I'm honestly not so concerned about it because it's a small part of a bigger picture of problems.
Then what problems are there? The aircraft or the carrier? I'm really interested in getting the carrier going and then I can decide the airwing.

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: The Republic of the United States of DentonPosted: February 8th, 2012, 5:05 am
ezgo394 wrote:
I'm really interested in getting the carrier going and then I can decide the airwing.
That's probably for the best. Since you're restricting yourself to the size of Charles de Galle, I recommend you look at the Shipbucket drawing for that. Or better yet some other nations' carriers, like in the Never Built section.

And you can probably ditch the turboprop altogether, Hornets/Super Hornets are the only offensive tactical aircraft operating off of US carrier decks anyway and they're suitable for bombing/attack. Probably better than the turboprop anyway, unless you want a sub hunter:
ezgo394 wrote:
I'm looking for 200-300KIAS with a max of maybe 350-360KIAS, to get out of tight situations.
Jesus Christ I've gone 200 KIAS in a Sierra....

The Warhog is a very slow aircraft even for an attack aircraft because in a lot of ways it's pretending to be a helicopter, doing a role normally associated with helicopters (dedicated armor attack). It's never been in contested airspace. Ever. The USAF will likely never use it in contested airspace, it'd be a waste of airframes and pilots in scenarios that call for better performing, more numerous aircraft.

Also, there's a huge difference between 200 KIAS and 300 KIAS. About equal to the difference between a Toyota Camry and a Bugatti Veyron. That's a wide, vague envelope to draft aircraft performance requirements around. You'd probably be able to get 360 out of a turboprop in "tight situations" as you say (BTW that's only useful to get out of range of small AA fire at best) but honestly a jet will do you just as well at that point.

And I have no idea why you think putting the engine out back and putting a long drive shaft through the whole plane is a smart idea to a relatively small problem. As for your jet fighter, it's simply fundamentally awful. The over/under engine arrangement isn't bad per se but things like "all the fuel is in the wing roots" seems to suggest that you lack serious aircraft-related training or knowledge.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: The Republic of the United States of DentonPosted: February 8th, 2012, 7:17 am
klagldsf wrote:
And I have no idea why you think putting the engine out back and putting a long drive shaft through the whole plane is a smart idea to a relatively small problem. As for your jet fighter, it's simply fundamentally awful. The over/under engine arrangement isn't bad per se but things like "all the fuel is in the wing roots" seems to suggest that you lack serious aircraft-related training or knowledge.
Ok. The reason I put the engine in the tail section was because of the inclusion of a bomb bay. Originally it was supposed to be a middle engined turboprop.

The jet fighter? Hell, I don't know shit about how they're designed. My forte is cargo aircraft, as in the Fairchild C-119 Boxcar. I'm more of a bush pilot, rather than a fighter pilot. I don't care for killing people, I'd rather just transport cargo to destinations unreachable by land.

My point being, I've been on this forum for 2-3 years? I've enjoyed all the ships, and you know I've tried to make something workable. There's only one ship that I would call a shipbucket standard ship, and that is the McKinney Class frigate. Everything else I have done, lacks in detail, full understanding of the design or just wasn't good. So now, I'm starting to realize, maybe I should just stop. Like I've said before I have been on this forum for 2-3 years and have only had one fantastic ship. Maybe that means I should just enjoy the work that has been done by other people, rather than trying to mimic their work.
I guess that means that I'm not gonna keep going with the USD. I might try to come up with a short history, like the WIP posted a few pages ago, but as for the ships, 5 frigates and a handful of patrol boats will be enough for my 4 million pop country.

I have a few personal designs that I am working on, and I might post those sometime in the future, but right now, I'm done drawing.
I thank everyone for the help that you have given me these past few years.

ezgo394

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: The Republic of the United States of DentonPosted: February 8th, 2012, 9:09 am
ezgo394 wrote:
Ok. The reason I put the engine in the tail section was because of the inclusion of a bomb bay. Originally it was supposed to be a middle engined turboprop.
Why is it so critical to have the engine anywhere but up front in the nose? It doesn't make any sense.
Quote:
My forte is cargo aircraft, as in the Fairchild C-119 Boxcar. I'm more of a bush pilot, rather than a fighter pilot.
So are you telling me that you are literally a bush pilot? Or do you mean that you are more a transport aircraft enthusiast?

My point is that so far your aircraft designs do not reflect a lot of basic knowledge on the science principles of aircraft (not engineering, just the science) regardless of the aircraft's role. Even passive aircraft enthusiasts know that the wings serve as the aircraft's primary fuel tanks, with fuel stored elsewhere in the fuselage for example where necessary (or the designers just accept the range penalty which happens).
Quote:
My point being, I've been on this forum for 2-3 years? I've enjoyed all the ships, and you know I've tried to make something workable. There's only one ship that I would call a shipbucket standard ship, and that is the McKinney Class frigate. Everything else I have done, lacks in detail, full understanding of the design or just wasn't good. So now, I'm starting to realize, maybe I should just stop. Like I've said before I have been on this forum for 2-3 years and have only had one fantastic ship. Maybe that means I should just enjoy the work that has been done by other people, rather than trying to mimic their work.
I guess that means that I'm not gonna keep going with the USD. I might try to come up with a short history, like the WIP posted a few pages ago, but as for the ships, 5 frigates and a handful of patrol boats will be enough for my 4 million pop country.

I have a few personal designs that I am working on, and I might post those sometime in the future, but right now, I'm done drawing.
I thank everyone for the help that you have given me these past few years.

ezgo394
Honestly the problem you have is the same problem APDAF has, just not as bad. Both of you seem incapable either of listening, or in applying what people tell you. In some cases I wonder if you've spent enough time looking at pictures of ships to understand the general concept of a ship.

But the biggest issue is practice, and while you've certainly practice, applying that practice matters as much as raw practice. I didn't want to bring this up but...I have essentially a dual education in literature/language and aerospace (and in order to not give the wrong impression, I'm about on the same level as a first year aerospace engineering dropout, but it's more than just reading Wikipedia articles). I can apply my knowledge to the understanding of the aerodynamic principles of how an aircraft flies...but try as I might, no matter how hard I practice I cannot draft up an adequate software control system.

Or to use a better example, I can practice and practice endlessly, for dozens of hours a week on how to draft a business letter or even a basic analytical/critical thought essay - but you're not going to be able to knock out an award-winning novel on your first try if that's all you've been practicing. Or hell, to use a sports example, Tim Tebow can and has practiced all he wants but experts still don't know if he's quarterback material.

My point is (and to APDAF who should be reading this too) is that most of the practice you've been doing has been going towards ships that are frankly ill-conceived at best. This is why I've said the both of you should work on drawing real vessels before you start creating your own.

When I started out, my artistic skill was worse than yours. But because I practiced, and because I listened to people and because I correctly applied that practice I was able to draw stuff like this and this (and no that's not just a chop job of a 688) and even go on to draw stuff like this (which has undergone numerous drafts as a result of input from other members) and this which as you'll note is still undergone drafting, and I'm not even afraid to admit I've had to partially pawn this off to AVALMA for additional drafting and suggestion.

So my advice is: don't give up. I don't want to chase you from this board and the whole reason why I'm writing this is because if anything I want to force you to stay here and improve. But I want you to refine your skills and knowledge regarding real life vessels first, so you can apply those lessons to fictional ships.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: The Republic of the United States of DentonPosted: February 8th, 2012, 1:47 pm
I wanted to leave room for the cockpit.

I'm not a bush pilot, but that's one of my dreams. But what you said, yes. I am a transport aircraft enthusiast.

Im not giving up and you're not running me off. I can't tell tell you how long I've spent trying to get some of my ships to look realistic. Point being, I like ships, but I don't know enough about them. I know how a ship floats, and how a plane flies. But when it comes to structural engineering, I don't know jack. I'm still going to draw here and there, mainly because I have a few ideas but like I said I'm done with trying to make an AU.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: The Republic of the United States of DentonPosted: February 9th, 2012, 1:51 am
ezgo394 wrote:
I wanted to leave room for the cockpit.
Of course there'd be room for the cockpit. Only a UAV wouldn't leave room for the cockpit.

Here, look at this. It's got an engine up front, and it still has a cockpit! Incidentally, it's in about the same size and speed range of what you originally described. You seem to be looking for clever solutions to problems that don't necessarily exist.
Quote:
I'm not a bush pilot, but that's one of my dreams. But what you said, yes. I am a transport aircraft enthusiast.
Well, good luck with that. You should know that becoming a bush pilot means low pay and very hazardous flying. You should visit a local small airport and ask if you can speak to a flight instructor if you're truly serious about it.
Quote:
Im not giving up and you're not running me off. I can't tell tell you how long I've spent trying to get some of my ships to look realistic. Point being, I like ships, but I don't know enough about them. I know how a ship floats, and how a plane flies. But when it comes to structural engineering, I don't know jack. I'm still going to draw here and there, mainly because I have a few ideas but like I said I'm done with trying to make an AU.
At least, just for what the purposes of an AU are concerned, you learn quick once you start drawing real ships and learn to draw the individual components - in the process at least figuring out what a ship typically needs. It's also a very quick way to learn what a ship actually looks like - as you learn to study it rather than just look at it.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: The Republic of the United States of DentonPosted: February 9th, 2012, 3:44 pm
I decided to finish one of the own design aircraft I've never used in my AUs (published or unpublished) for usage if you wish. It's somewhere between the A-9 and Su-25 in layout. Two engines in separate nacelles with a high set wing. In theory you could hang four Harpoons off of it if you so desired...
Quote:
Generic Naval Strike Aircraft:

[ img ]

General Characteristics:
Unit Cost: $18.43Mn
Crew: 1 or 2
Length: 17.06m
Wingspan: 13.71m
Wing Area: 45.96m²
Height: 5.18m
Empty Weight: 11250kg
Loaded Weight: 19550kg
Max. Takeoff Weight: 25750kg
Payload: 6200kg
Powerplant: 2x non afterburning GE F412-GE-D5F2 turbofans
Dry Thrust: 58kN
Thrust with Reheat: n/a
Fuel Capacity: 7750kg Internal + 2x 1350L external tanks

Performance:

Max. Speed: 710km/h @100m
Max. Sustainable Speed / Cruising Speed: 580km/h @100m
Ferry Range: 5000km on internal fuel
Combat Radius: 600km
Service Ceiling: 14000m
Wing Loading: 425.31kg/m @ normal loaded weight
Thrust/weight: 0.60 @ normal loaded weight

Armament:
Guns:2x Oerlikon KCA 30mm x173 Revolver cannons (Or BK27) with 250rpg or 300 for the 27mm
Hardpoints:11 - Ten under wing (Inboard @1000kg - Mid @550kg Outer @250kg) One under fuselage @1000kg Inboard wing pylons are plumbed for tanks.
Avionics:
  • I-Band multi-mode radar (Air-Search & Track - Surface-Search & Track and mapping) as fitted - PESA/AESA fitted later
  • Laser range-finder / marker fairing under nose for self lasing
  • IR/Laser jammer in tail along with countermeasure dispensers in wing-tips and under fuselage
I hope it proves of use to you, if not I'll probably find a place for it in one of my other AUs.

~Mark.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: The Republic of the United States of DentonPosted: February 9th, 2012, 5:56 pm
klagldsf wrote:
ezgo394 wrote:
I'm really interested in getting the carrier going and then I can decide the airwing.
That's probably for the best. Since you're restricting yourself to the size of Charles de Galle, I recommend you look at the Shipbucket drawing for that. Or better yet some other nations' carriers, like in the Never Built section.

And you can probably ditch the turboprop altogether, Hornets/Super Hornets are the only offensive tactical aircraft operating off of US carrier decks anyway and they're suitable for bombing/attack. Probably better than the turboprop anyway, unless you want a sub hunter:
ezgo394 wrote:
I'm looking for 200-300KIAS with a max of maybe 350-360KIAS, to get out of tight situations.
Jesus Christ I've gone 200 KIAS in a Sierra....

The Warhog is a very slow aircraft even for an attack aircraft because in a lot of ways it's pretending to be a helicopter, doing a role normally associated with helicopters (dedicated armor attack). It's never been in contested airspace. Ever. The USAF will likely never use it in contested airspace, it'd be a waste of airframes and pilots in scenarios that call for better performing, more numerous aircraft.

Also, there's a huge difference between 200 KIAS and 300 KIAS. About equal to the difference between a Toyota Camry and a Bugatti Veyron. That's a wide, vague envelope to draft aircraft performance requirements around. You'd probably be able to get 360 out of a turboprop in "tight situations" as you say (BTW that's only useful to get out of range of small AA fire at best) but honestly a jet will do you just as well at that point.

I know you think you are an Internet badass but I am really getting tired of reading your posts. Please be nice, even *I've* learned how to do it recently and it's much easier than being a dickhead all the time. Plenty of other people on this forum are more than capable of saying what you just said minus the condescending sarcasm and the rudeness.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: The Republic of the United States of DentonPosted: February 10th, 2012, 5:05 am
Colosseum wrote:
I know you think you are an Internet badass
...and that's where I rolled my eyes and stopped reading.

I'm trying to help ezgo here. How you, specifically, interpret that help, I honestly don't give a damn.

I'll give a damn if Erik or Timothy has a problem. But they'll have to let me know.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 11 of 12  [ 114 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 18 9 10 11 12 »

Jump to: