Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 11 of 21  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page « 19 10 11 12 1321 »
Shigure
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: August 7th, 2016, 8:43 pm
Krakatoa wrote:

The biggest problem you have is where Antara is. Once Japan takes over Antara in early 1942, all building stops. Any ships that survive the invasion would retreat to either US ports or Australian ports. These ships you are posting as being completed in 1943 just will not exist.
I've been spending lots of time trying to think of how the rest of WW2 would play out for Antara. My first thought would to have Japan eventually withdraw their ongoing invasion after a couple of months due to Antara's powerful army. But if that were to happen it would mean that Japan suffered too many losses and couldn't keep fighting, basically making them even weaker by the time the US enters the war. If Japan retreats, Antara can resume production of new warships and such, but by then Japan is already too weary and the war would end a lot quicker. I don't really want that :D

My original idea was not to let Japan occupy the whole of Antara for too long, hence why I have ships designed after 1942, but the idea of the Antaran army and navy having to return to their country later in the war to take it back sounds really interesting! But this means I might have to ditch my newer designs. That would be fine with to a certain extent because I love prewar ships, especially cruisers and battleships. I was also gonna design a super battleship to rival the Yamato, but I don't think the government could've even afforded it :)

Also if the Antaran navy needed to stop at US ports, they would no doubt later be outfitted with American equipment, which would make for some interesting designs.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: August 7th, 2016, 9:38 pm
The other way of course is to Dr Who, Antara, to somewhere else in the world where it can still have an impact on WW2. For what you want, think about placing the bottom island of Antara just north of where New Caledonia is, in that part of the South Pacific. Your ships would be heavily engaged in the Solomon Islands campaigns, defending itself and Papua-New Guinea (Battle of the Coral Sea) and then joining the US in reclaiming the islands in 1943-45.

Give you plenty to do and draw.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: August 7th, 2016, 9:44 pm
I'm already fully on board with the previous idea. But thanks for the suggestion though :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: August 8th, 2016, 12:26 am
Krakatoa wrote:
The crane debate is very simple. You have 4 sets of boats from beside the forefunnel to the rear of the accommodation block. How do you launch and retrieve all of these boats? Your crane is not long enough to reach the two sets of boats forward or aft. I hope your face is now red. With a bit of homework, you may have got the answer right. Do some study and see what you can come up with. You can not expect the rest of us to tell you all of the answers.
That's part of the issue and it was what I was hinting at, but the core of the issue is that you don't launch boats that big with cranes if you can avoid it. An LCVP is quite heavy and their centre of gravity is by necessity towards the rear. In order to control one safely the USN used big purpose made davits like the one in BB1987s picture.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: August 8th, 2016, 12:40 am
"I don't really have the time to study boat cranes", OK well we don't really have the time to keep hitting our foreheads against our desks helping you but for some reason we still do (even though you generally tend to ignore all our advice!)

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: August 8th, 2016, 7:09 am
I think I fixed it. Somebody on the site drew the Crosley APD so I was able to look at the crane a bit clearly.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: August 8th, 2016, 7:23 am
No, no you have not.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: August 8th, 2016, 7:41 am
I'm just gonna delete this ship and move on. I've lost interest and the idea isn't fun anymore.

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: August 8th, 2016, 7:53 am
I don't really understand how the crane works on the Crosley anyways. The boats are behind the crane, and so how does that work?

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: August 8th, 2016, 10:12 am
Simple, it's not used to launch the boats at all, it's only used to transfer material into them once they're in the water. See that big rectangular gantry around the boats? That's called a davit and that's what you use to launch them with.
This is a more modern version, but the principle is the same and it should be obvious how it works.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 11 of 21  [ 201 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 19 10 11 12 1321 »

Jump to: