Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 7  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 57 »
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Epicnopolis- Designs for a friend's AUPosted: August 8th, 2010, 4:37 am
57mm is not the way to do it. The 57mm shell is relatively light weight and is used almost exclusively with the idea to defeat small craft (i.e., for the littoral patrol or policing role) and has far insufficient range to be bombarding land targets. 5-inches is what you're looking for, but inappropriate for a ship like this.

Actually the type of gun you have is appropriate for a ship like this, just that the role you describe is not.

Also you deleted the wrong radar - I'd rather have kept AEGIS.

[Profile] [Quote]
Wikipedia & Universe
Post subject: Re: Epicnopolis- Designs for a friend's AUPosted: August 8th, 2010, 5:36 am
klagldsf wrote:
57mm is not the way to do it. The 57mm shell is relatively light weight and is used almost exclusively with the idea to defeat small craft (i.e., for the littoral patrol or policing role) and has far insufficient range to be bombarding land targets. 5-inches is what you're looking for, but inappropriate for a ship like this.

Actually the type of gun you have is appropriate for a ship like this, just that the role you describe is not.

Also you deleted the wrong radar - I'd rather have kept AEGIS.
I'll heed the radar thing. Good thing the original drawing is in the first post.

As for the 57mm, it is not the main fire support element. Long-range strikes on the tougher nuts would be conducted by 127mm, missiles, and airstrikes. Once control of the air and sea is established, the vessel can pull in close to the shore (but still far away enough not to beach itself) and fire at closer ranges and perhaps even conduct airburst attacks on hostile combatants on the shore.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Epicnopolis- Designs for a friend's AUPosted: August 11th, 2010, 12:25 am
It's kind of funky.

For a ship with no major anti-air weapons, I cannot imagine the purpose for both SPS-48 and SPY-1. You sure don't need three major illuminators for this ship. All you'll be doing is local air control, for which SPY-1 is more than sufficient. At that point... do you even need the giant mainmast? I don't know what purpose it serves. If I were you, I would remove it in favor of two helo landing spots (increasing the possible tempo of simultaneous operations). Add at least a 16-cell Mk 41 block for quadpacked ESSM, with perhaps two small Dutch STIRs or something (SPG-62 is major overkill). Move the SLQ-32 to the location currently occupied by the Sea Sparrow box launcher. The space you've used for two 57mm is massive overkill - you could fit either a serious VLS block (for navalized MLRS, maybe?) or a 5/54. Actually, I'd drop one of the 57mm in favor of both of the latter. And there's no point whatsoever in shipping Phalanx when you have even a single 57mm for CIWS duties.

Sorry that came out kind of stream-of-consciousness.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Epicnopolis- Designs for a friend's AUPosted: August 11th, 2010, 3:12 am
Nah, you've said it better than I could have.

[Profile] [Quote]
Wikipedia & Universe
Post subject: Re: Epicnopolis- Designs for a friend's AUPosted: August 13th, 2010, 8:49 pm
I overhauled my design based on erik_t's suggestions.

My changes:
  • Drastically shrunk down the unnecessarily large mainmast, deleted SPS-48.
  • Enlarged helideck, added large hangar.
  • Placed shrunken mast on top of the hangar (the hangar has a thick roof and walls to absorb and spread out the weight).
  • Deleted foremost 57mm, replaced with VLS for ESSM and Nulka launcher.
  • Moved AN/SLQ-32 to where the ESSM box launcher used to be.
  • Where the SLQ-32 used to be, I placed a 4,000,000 candela trainable focusable searchlight/fog-light (remote controlled).
  • Placed red and green lights on the side of the hangar for multi-purpose use, including signaling.
  • Removed SPG-62
  • Moved Phalanx to other side of superstructure where SPG-62 was.
  • Placed SeaRam where Phalanx used to be.
  • Added more rails around the hangar and the superstructure.
  • Added ladders around the hangar as well as on the shrunken mast, the latter being chiefly for maintenance personnel.
  • Added crew manning rails.
  • Emblazoned side of hangar with Epicnopolian roundel and Naval Ensign.
  • Made some other minor changes (mostly moving small parts around).

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Epicnopolis- Designs for a friend's AUPosted: August 13th, 2010, 9:35 pm
RAM missile should be horizontal not vertical because it's not in a VLS
Not sure about the Phalanx placement, there is a honking great mast in front of it reducing it's field of fire to stern.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Epicnopolis- Designs for a friend's AUPosted: August 13th, 2010, 9:44 pm
Anti-air missiles are shown vertically, anti-surface missiles horizontally (unless they're in a VLS in which all are shown vertically).

[Profile] [Quote]
Wikipedia & Universe
Post subject: Re: Epicnopolis- Designs for a friend's AUPosted: August 13th, 2010, 9:59 pm
I see what you mean about the Phalanx and the mast not agreeing, Blackbuck. Phalanx removed. Also thanks Colo, even though my missile placements on this were correct I'll need to go and fix some of my other designs where the RAM missile was horizontal.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Epicnopolis- Designs for a friend's AUPosted: August 13th, 2010, 10:15 pm
You still have a "blind spot." You probably need a Phalanx in the rear, and you could place it aft of the mast.

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Epicnopolis- Designs for a friend's AUPosted: August 13th, 2010, 10:22 pm
Three things:
1: Your prop guard looks like a random squiggle.
2: What is the purpose of the exposed deck next to the LRAD?
3: What are those random black lines on the front of the hull.
4: The red and green lights serves little purpose. Between you Sensors and you abundance of SatComs you have all the signalling capability you'll ever need. A simple Morse lamp is more than enough for visual signalling.
5: I'd be hard pressed to finds a worse spot for the liferafts. They are too close to the VLS and far away from where the crew is and you risk having them washed away in heavy weather.
6: I'd move the LRAD up on deck. It'll have a wider field of fire and be less exposed to seawater.
7: Why the sidemounted exhaust? As a command ship, it's primary "weapon" is its comm facilities, and with you current setup your antennas will be covered in exhaust.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 7  [ 61 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 57 »

Jump to: