Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 19  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 519 »
Redhorse
Post subject: Re: Republic of Texas 2.0Posted: March 19th, 2016, 10:49 pm
[ img ]

Austin was built in Baltimore in 1839 and served as the flagship of the Texas Navy. Laid up in 1842, she was refitted extensively in 1845 with other vessels in the Texas Navy and returned to service.

She was armed with sixteen 24lb medium guns, two 18lb medium guns, and two 18lb long guns in the bow.

Austin carried 24 Naval Officers, 133 Sailors, 1 Marine Officer and 16 Marines.

Placed in reserve again in 1856, she was sold in 1857 after her replacement was commissioned.

Current Projects:
Republic of Texas Navy
FD Scale F-14s

[Profile] [Quote]
Redhorse
Post subject: Re: Republic of Texas 2.0Posted: March 19th, 2016, 10:54 pm
[ img ]

Potomac was a commercial vessel used as a receiving ship until 1845, when she was converted for war service. The conversion was expensive because she had to be fitted with a complete set of masts and rigging in addition to her armament. She was not as fast or as handsome as the other brigs, but provided reliable service.

When converted, she was given ten 12lb medium guns and two 18lb long guns.

Ship's complement was 139: 19 Naval Officers, 107 Sailors, 1 Marine Officer and 12 Marine Enlisted.

She was still in service in 1859, but planned to be struck and sold when her replacement was commissioned.

Current Projects:
Republic of Texas Navy
FD Scale F-14s

[Profile] [Quote]
Redhorse
Post subject: Re: Republic of Texas 2.0Posted: March 19th, 2016, 11:02 pm
[ img ]

Liberty was the second ship to bear the name and was also a schooner. Authorized in 1853, she was the first ship in the building program to replace the older vessels of the Texas Navy and the first ship built from the keel up at the Galveston Navy Yard. She served as a dispatch vessel for the Navy and a revenue cutter when a Customs agent was aboard.

Unlike her predecessors, she was armed with a 32lb medium gun and an 18lb long gun.

Complement was 8 Naval Officers, 44 Sailors, and 1 Marine Officer or Customs Agent and 5 Marines.

In 1860 a refit replaced her original armament with two 20lb Armstrong rifled breech loading cannon.

Current Projects:
Republic of Texas Navy
FD Scale F-14s

[Profile] [Quote]
Redhorse
Post subject: Re: Republic of Texas 2.0Posted: March 19th, 2016, 11:07 pm
[ img ]

Campeche was the second ship constructed at the Galveston Navy Yard. Authorized in 1854, she replaced the Austin two years later. Austin's armament was installed in Campeche's hull to reduce construction costs.

Complement was 24 Naval Officers, 133 Sailors, 1 Marine Officer and 16 Marines.

Current Projects:
Republic of Texas Navy
FD Scale F-14s

[Profile] [Quote]
Redhorse
Post subject: Re: Republic of Texas 2.0Posted: March 19th, 2016, 11:13 pm
[ img ]

The Angelina Class brigs were the last ships built to replace the older, worn out ships. Three were planned: Angelina, Blanco, and Bosque. Angelina and Blanco were built a year apart; Bosque was not authorized until 1859 and would be completed with different armament.

Angeline commissioned in 1857; Blanco in 1858. They were both armed with fourteen 18lb medium guns and two 18lb long guns, a simple and economical arrangement.

Crew size was 19 Naval Officers, 107 Sailors, 1 Marine Officer and 13 Marines.

Bosque will have the same complement but will be armed with the new 20lb RBLs. Her sisters will receive the upgraded weapons during their scheduled refits in the next decade.

Current Projects:
Republic of Texas Navy
FD Scale F-14s

Last edited by Redhorse on March 21st, 2016, 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Redhorse
Post subject: Re: Republic of Texas 2.0Posted: March 19th, 2016, 11:16 pm
The Texas Navy in 1859. Ships are shown with their replacements on the second line.

[ img ]

Current Projects:
Republic of Texas Navy
FD Scale F-14s

[Profile] [Quote]
nighthunter Mk2
Post subject: Re: Republic of Texas 2.0Posted: March 20th, 2016, 2:42 am
These look fantastic, Red!

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Republic of Texas 2.0Posted: March 20th, 2016, 3:07 am
Wow...being a Texian, looking at these absofrigginlutely insanely beautiful and superbly crafted and drawn vessels, makes my heart race of excitement and throb of sheer affection! You've nailed it down to perfection, Red!

[Profile] [Quote]
adenandy
Post subject: Re: Republic of Texas 2.0Posted: March 20th, 2016, 3:59 am
BEAUTIFUL drawings Red :!:

Jolly WELL DONE I say :D

If I may ask though, are you sure you've got your establishments right :?: You seem very top heavy with the amount of Naval Officers on board. From what I know of British ships of similar size, a Sloop would have been commanded by a Commander with 2 or 3 Lieutenants (depending on size) and a Brig would have 2 Lieutenants. Both vessels would have carried a number of Midshipmen, but again, no more than 5 or 6. Or are you counting Warrant Officers in your figures as well? But even then, only the Master and the Purser (and perhaps a Surgeon if carried, but unlikely on such small ships) were authorised to eat in the Wardroom.

And finally, Marines in the Royal navy would generally only be carried on 6th rate vessels (Frigates) and above.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Republic of Texas 2.0Posted: March 20th, 2016, 9:46 am
Excellent sailing ships!
Ahead of my time so I can't comment on accuracy and details but they look very good to me. Its nice to see more pre-20th century AUs too.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 19  [ 188 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 519 »

Jump to: