Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 56 of 65  [ 648 posts ]  Go to page « 154 55 56 57 5865 »
swin_lad
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: March 30th, 2013, 8:34 pm
Why not ASRAAM or even the (believed to be ) planned version of CAMM as a SRAAM?

Also why the air-launched ESSM, isn't it a bit bulky for what it offers to be worth aerial carriage?

Finally doesn't Dual-Mode Brimstone kinda take on and better the roll of the Mavrick (Providing you carry one or the other operationally)

Nick

@ashwellkennedy

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: March 30th, 2013, 8:54 pm
Stockpiles my good man, stockpiles. Also note that quite a few stores aren't actually fielded (or indeed even used by Atlantia) rather they have undergone integration and separation testing etcetera should either the need arise to be used in actual combat or should an export customer wish them.

ASRAAM hadn't actually crossed my mind, as far as I know it is like IRIS-T requiring very little integration into the core systems.
The big booster AMRAAM idea comes from discussion over at F-16.net about murmurs of fitting the 10" body of the ESSM to an AIM-120 forward section to create an interim LRAAM for the F-22.
DM Brimstone does lots that the Maverick does except having a 136kg warhead which when collateral damage is not a primary concern is somewhat of a benefit, despite the relative bulk and age of the system when compared with something like AASM.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: What ho bitches!Posted: July 25th, 2013, 4:26 pm
Well after a protracted development (drawing) time I've got around to finishing the millionth iteration of the Gemstone, this time actually with some thought put into it.

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

Abstract:

Stemming from the CNGF project the Gemstone class of destroyers as one can probably tell ended up being full on destroyers in both displacement and capability terms leading to another design to replace aging frigates. Like the UK Atlantia decided to leave the partnership that would end up with the Horizon class to develop what they had already developed. The result was a family of destroyers outwardly similar in appearance to the Horizon class albeit being slightly larger in all respects.
Unlike the Horizon class the Gemstones were designed to make use of the COGES style of propulsion rather than CODOG. During development there was talk of retaining the proven American VLS rather than SYLVER, politics however decided that SYLVER would be installed to promote European trade and relations (that said IRL SYLVER is to undergo integration of Mk41 capable munitions).

Future:

There are currently 34 Gemstones in service with the Altantian Navy, their future is pretty much guaranteed for several decades current pipepline upgrades include operational integration of UAV/UCAVs, integration of NSM to replace Sea Eagle, Updating of ASTER, operational clearance of CAMM and possible integration of Mk41 munitions.

Specifications:
  • 'Gemstone' class guider missile destroyer
  • Produced:2004-2013
  • In Commission: 2006 Onwards
  • Displacement: ~8,500 Tonnes
  • Length: 168.25m
  • Beam: 21.03m
  • Draught: 5.6m nominal
  • Propulsion:
    • 4x Rolls Royce Marine MT30 gas turbines rated at 36MW ea.
    • 40x MagPower MAFC fuel cells for a total of 200kW
    • 200x Solar panels for a potential capacity of 50kW either into directly into the grid or into 4x 150 cell batteries
    • 1x retractable auxiliary propulsor and 2x azimuth thrusters
  • Speed: Cruise:20 knots Sustained: >30 knots Limited Sprint: 35 knots
  • Complement and Accommodation: Crew: 200 Permanent Accommodation: 220 Surge Accommodation: 30
  • Endurance: 60 days before resupply
  • Range: 15,000km @ 17 knots
  • Armament: Various
    • Group 1: 4x 76mm/62 capable of firing 'dart' and 'vulcano' as well as the plethora of more common rounds - 1x 48 cell SYLVER A50 block 3x A35 blocks
    • Group 2: 1x 127mm/64 capable of firing 'dart' and 'vulcano' as well as the plethora of more common rounds - 1x 48 cell SYLVER A70 block 3x A35 blocks 2x 8 cell SYLVER A70 blocks
    • Group 3: 1x 127mm/64 capable of firing 'dart' and 'vulcano' as well as the plethora of more common rounds - 1x 48 cell SYLVER A43 block (fitted for A50)
    • Group 4: 2x 76mm/62 capable of firing 'dart' and 'vulcano' as well as the plethora of more common rounds - 1x 48 cell SYLVER A50 block 3x A35 blocks
    • Group 5: 2x 76mm/62 capable of firing 'dart' and 'vulcano' as well as the plethora of more common rounds - 1x 48 cell SYLVER A70 block 3x A35 blocks
    • Common: 2x triple lightweight torpedo tubes for MU90 - 8x BAE Sea Eagle AShMs - 2x Oto Melara 30mm Marlin WS - 2x Oto Melara Hit Role 12.7mm RWS - All except group 5 - 4x 40mm/70 CIWS (group 5 has two)
    • Aviation: Dependent on group either 1 or 2 Bell 212 / WS70 or 1 or 2 AW101s
    • Boats and landing craft: 2x optionally armed RHIBs for rescue and boarding duties
    • Noteworthy Sensors:
      • Selex EMPAR MFR
      • BAE S1850M
      • Chemring Centurion countermeasures dispenser (4x)
      • Rheinmetall MASS countermeasure dispenser (2x)
I think that I can possibly finally lay the Gemstone to rest at last. :roll:

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: July 25th, 2013, 5:05 pm
As always B' top quality work.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: July 25th, 2013, 5:08 pm
I love the detail in this.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: July 25th, 2013, 7:03 pm
Very impressive work! :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: July 26th, 2013, 11:55 am
Cheers for the kind words all!

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: July 26th, 2013, 7:28 pm
Beautiful drawings, but I can't help but express extreme skepticism at fitting both 30mm and 40mm weapons. I also confess I'm not totally clear why the countermeasures dispensers occupy such privileged real estate.

Meanwhile, 50kW of solar is likely not feasible. Optimistically, you're looking at like 300m^2 of panels for that power output.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: July 26th, 2013, 10:40 pm
Regarding the 30mm/40mm the size difference both in propellent and round size make a wide enough margin between the two for inclusion of both, especially when you start chucking out 3P.
Regarding the countermeasure dispensers, as far as I could deduce I'd placed them reasonably...
Regarding solar, is it actually feasible to get a reasonable result for the work to put it on in the first place?

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: July 31st, 2013, 8:50 pm
While these vessels look good, I personally don't think them the equals to the your earlier iteration of the class on page 37 of this AU. The earlier vessels are much more formidable and distinct looking compared the more recent designs, IMHO. They feel too long and light, for some reason.

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 56 of 65  [ 648 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 154 55 56 57 5865 »

Jump to: