Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 8  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 58 »
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: CCSPosted: December 10th, 2010, 5:31 pm
comments on your city class:
-will flip over when the masts are placed
-S1850 and I-mast can not work together. use the one or the other, and if you choose the S1850 you will need other systems as well
-old drawings of both radar systems
- helicopter will not fit in the hangar
- drawing is not up to current standards

btw, aster needs illimunators, I don't know which one though..... but most modern phased array radar systems should be able to handle them.
for the liferafts: one liferaft can hold around 25 people. 1 lifeboat can hold 30 people or so. that's why on warships, these rafts are prefered: they take a lot less space and are less vulnerable.

btw, don't take this as bitching on your drawings, but you should put a whole lot more effort to make your ships realistic and good, and I am trying to help to improve them.

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: CCSPosted: December 10th, 2010, 5:45 pm
Quote:
I did it with British ones due to the fact that they were the easiest to aquire at the time of the break up. For self defence RAM and ESSM will do but for longer range I prefer ASTER purely for the fact more nations closer to home use it. Largs Bay is in the process of being aquired for 100,000 due to the fact that Wales can stop Birmingham's water so quickly the English will give us almost anything we want.

Also with regards to the Spruance there is the process of acquiring a Cavor based Cat and Trap carrier to operate Sea Gripen, Merlin, E-2 and F-35C

If you are wondering how there is a huge budget it is because England is billed for lots of little things (including Elan Valley water) and me being a Welshmen whom fells quite at home with defence spending fell this is the best thing to do.

Also the City Class was aquired cheap as the radars were there test BAe ones and the Sea Wolf was taken off the Type 22
I've never been a fan of Sea wolf, and ESSM seems like a much better missile, though I can understand using it, if you are able to get a bunch of them cheap, or nearly for nothing. Still, not a great longterm solution, though. If you are going the Aster route, then you might think of using some version of FREMM as your frigate. They aren't badly priced, and offer reasonable capability, and commonality with several NATO nations, at least regards systems, though the British did some odd monkeying around with their version of Aster, from what I recall. (I could be wrong of course)

Sounds like this is reasonably well thought out. Cavour is my choice my own AU; there really isn't much not to love about it on the whole, and it can be upsized & upgraded. Likewise, Sea Gripen is likely an effective system that meets your likely threat level at a decent price--l expect cheaper than navalized Typhoon, though I'd really have to see a detailed price comparison between the two to know for certain. In light of the huge cost, you might consider doing away with F-35. I can't even justify it for Pallamara, which has a larger budget than the UK. (76 vs 69.3 Billion) Other nations have already backed out of the programme as well, and I take that as a strong hint. Unfortunately, there aren't many other options available for now, but the price will (hopefully) come down at some point.

I'd be interested in hearing about the setup for your airforce. Tornado ADV (F-3?) seems like a decent idea in the short term, and the RAF is trying to get rid of it. You could likewise go for the F-15S, which can do about anything you'd need-- expensive, though I can't imagine anything nearly as bad as F-35. Stick a few of these in the Falklands, and Argentina won't even dream about going near the place. The threat over your own territory is almost nonexistant, but you could do worse than to bring a couple of Squadrons of Silent Eagles to the NATO table. 50 of them gives you 15 for the Falklands, two squadrons for home or NATO, and a few spares. Given the multirole nature of the aircraft, it can replace a lot of other types of stuff in the inventory. A (very) slightly less capable aircraft is Superbug, and I'd go with the two seater F version of that.

Another area of interest is what political relations with Eire are like, given both the Celtic nature of the commonwealth, and the inclusion of Northern Ireland?

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: CCSPosted: December 10th, 2010, 5:58 pm
Could just go for legacy model F/A-18s seeing as the Sea Gripen is just a concept.

IIRC we have gotten rid of the Tornado F.3s bar one squadron. As for the F-15 idea, it's something I did for my AU albeit the K model. Again you could just go with legacy Hornets for both the naval and land based aviation.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: CCSPosted: December 10th, 2010, 6:04 pm
sea gripen is an concept that might be used! it is closer to being build then the navalised eurofighter. it is an good alternative for the f-35, as the jsf is some time away too, so of all but hornets they have to wait.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: CCSPosted: December 10th, 2010, 6:09 pm
Indeed, though still an existing design makes more sense for a commonwealth of Scotland, NI and Cornwall as said commonwealth is not going to be able to afford any meaningful amount of F-35s, ever.

[Profile] [Quote]
swin_lad
Post subject: Re: CCSPosted: December 10th, 2010, 6:20 pm
With regards to the air force I am running 50 Gripen (all are navalised for rotational deployment), 30 F-35C (because I wanted a stealth a/c for first day strike and it was the logical choice), 12 Ex-USN Prowler (can be land and sea based) and am thinking about replacing the Prowler as my budget is huge (from selling England all that water from Wales = Higher GDP than Saudi Arabia). With transport have CN-235 and Tristar which will go for a few more years along with a C-17. I do need to replace my ageing handful of C-130 and am looking at C-17 and CN-235. The 235 will also furfil the requirement for MPA and also Special Ops (3 Modified for ISTAR). Training is done with a handful of Hawks and 30 Super Tucanos (also do COIN)

Here is the carrier of which I have ordered 1 from CDS Ltd. with an option for a further 1.

@ashwellkennedy

[Profile] [Quote]
swin_lad
Post subject: Re: CCSPosted: December 10th, 2010, 6:30 pm
SpamBot 454 wrote:
Another area of interest is what political relations with Eire are like, given both the Celtic nature of the commonwealth, and the inclusion of Northern Ireland?
These are fine die to the fact that the border with Ireland is open and has extreme free trade. Ditistant republicans have now disappered due to the fact that although we are a Commonwealth we are a republic. We also bailed Ireland out of the recent Recession

@ashwellkennedy

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: CCSPosted: December 10th, 2010, 6:36 pm
Don't forget an important consideration for any system is available tech support. You have to look at the total cost of the system, which includes training, tech support, maintaince, spares, and the entire supply chain. While System A might be cheaper off the shelf than System B, when you consider the total package, the numbers might look rather different.

As far the buget goes, selling water to England isn't going to pay for that much--try to extort too much, and they may well decide that it is cheaper to invade you than to keep paying out the arse for water. A far better scenario is the discovery of a much larger North Sea oil field, that falls within Scotland's EEZ.

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: CCSPosted: December 10th, 2010, 6:41 pm
That carrier seems to be based off the old VSS design, meaning it will not hold that kind of airwing.http://warships1discussionboards.yuku.c ... rwing.html

The USN rejected the design on the basis that for what it offered, it wasn't worth the price. The design does not have enough room for the fuel and munitions for sustained operations.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: CCSPosted: December 10th, 2010, 6:50 pm
for the carrier: it can't operate E2C's, I am missing CIWS, and it is highly doubtful you could put 2 types of fighters on a ship like this (because of logistics and so on) on an larger carrier it would be possible, but for this one it is undoable.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 8  [ 76 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 58 »

Jump to: