Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 22 of 34  [ 336 posts ]  Go to page « 120 21 22 23 2434 »
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Norseland: The Viking AUPosted: November 15th, 2012, 4:14 pm
Hel in 1929. Some guns have been removed and the openings plated over. Six 5"/20 AA guns have been added and the five 13mm AA guns have been replaced with 30mm guns.

[ img ]

Belisknir naturally recieved a similar refit in 1929.

[ img ]

Hel was slated for a complete overhaul in 1939, but the unrest and later war in Europe prevented her from being withdrawn. Instead, she recieved a refit, the 4 inch huns were replaced with 5 inch guns and extra 30mm AA guns were added. All the lifeboats on davits were removed.

[ img ]

Belisknir was being overhauled, recieving new engines, extra armor on par with battleships, five inch dual purpose guns, many 30mm and 40mm guns and a new superstructure. I`m sort off stuck on the superstructure. Should I make a new superstructure style or should I make one similar to the other modern Norse ships?

[Profile] [Quote]
denodon
Post subject: Re: Norseland: The Viking AUPosted: November 16th, 2012, 12:48 am
The type of superstructure you go for is namely for the role it will serve as a part of the ship. If its a flagship then the superstructure will need to contain command and control rooms, the admirals quarters and bridge, Etc. if its not, you can get away with a reduced superstructure provided it doesn't hamper the equipment fit within.

Personally in your case I would go a hybrid of the rebuilt Renowns/QE class with the more modern Norse ships to give it that air of having been upgraded with expanded equipment (such as better fire control. Radars, etc).

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Norseland: The Viking AUPosted: November 26th, 2012, 3:01 am
While I`m figuring out how the 1940 refit of the Beliskner will turn out I have some ideas for a guided missile cruiser built in the late 70s´. She`s a big fat mama with lots of missiles and a big modern dual 6"/70 guns for lighting up commies.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Norseland: The Viking AUPosted: November 26th, 2012, 10:02 am
one large problem: CIWS and VLS were not around yet in the 1970's.

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Norseland: The Viking AUPosted: November 26th, 2012, 1:32 pm
VLS did exist, it was developed in the 60s and 70s. The Mk 41 wasn`t designed until 1976 but subs had VLS, why can`t ships have them at the same time. As I wrote, late 70s as in 1977-1979.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Norseland: The Viking AUPosted: November 26th, 2012, 1:53 pm
The real problem isn't really the VLS itself but rather the missiles. Specifically, the missile have to be able to turn towards its target. Not a big issue when you're targeting a city a thousand miles away, quite something else when you're trying to hit a sea skimming target 20 miles away.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Norseland: The Viking AUPosted: November 27th, 2012, 9:51 am
I have removed the CIWS` and the VLS and have replaced the VLS with two twin arm launchers for the Mach 3 ASuW missile and two twin arm launchers for the medium range mach 2 SAM missiles. The launchers for the ASuW will alsi be able to launch a long range SAM missile that I am yet to draw.

[Profile] [Quote]
kellyj
Post subject: Re: Norseland: The Viking AUPosted: November 28th, 2012, 5:37 am
The CG is an interesting 70s design, but I'm not getting a feel for the 4 launchers. The magazine drums on those things were huge. So much so I don't think you would have room for 4 sets of launchers...especially with only 4 directors.
Perhaps getting rid of 1 launcher off each end. Move the aft launcher to the main deck, then build up a helo pad and hanger where the launchers currently sit. Perhaps with a NATO Seasparrow launcher on top. This will also give you a place to add CIWS in a later upgrade.
Forward I'd dump the upper deck launcher and convert the magazine deckhouse into Flag Quarters. This gives you another natural space to add CIWS forward later. You have a big bow sonar...perhaps an ASROC launcher between the stacks. This could also be upgraded later by putting ASROC in the missile magazine and replacing the ASROC launcher with 2 quad Harpoon sets between the funnels. You also need some torpedo tubes.

Regardless, a nice looking ship with clean lines...but missing the design style of the 1970s.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Norseland: The Viking AUPosted: November 28th, 2012, 8:21 am
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
maybe this helps
source: http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewto ... =16&t=2755

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Norseland: The Viking AUPosted: November 28th, 2012, 10:03 am
If it were me, at least for the super CG I'd probably install a pair of Mk10s (probably the diagonal variants) with a pair of super-firing Mk26s. Along the way I'd probably fit BPDMS when it comes online amidships P&S.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 22 of 34  [ 336 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 120 21 22 23 2434 »

Jump to: