Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 7  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 57 »
Novice
Post subject: Re: Dracan Commonwealth AUPosted: November 22nd, 2010, 9:48 pm
nighthunter wrote:
PB, the aft Pom-Pom or Quad two pounders are stationed outboard, not directly behind Turret 3, so as to afford them a decent field of fire, and will be replaced after 1942 with 40mm guns. Your help would be greatly appreciated in this as I don't know which 40 mm the Brits and Australians used on vessels, and the 12.7 quads will get replaced by 20mm duals.
Royal Navy weapons are in the parts thread, published by Hood
Here and Here are the various electronics

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: Dracan Commonwealth AUPosted: November 23rd, 2010, 1:05 am
Okay, but some are modern weapons as well, I need just the WW2 stuff, because After WW2 they are Purely American or home built vessels.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Dracan Commonwealth AUPosted: November 23rd, 2010, 6:03 am
40mm twin mounting (Mk.5) was used from the time of the war (around 1943-1944) untill the 1970's (by that time the last ships to have a twin mounting were either scrapped, sold abroad or had the mounting replaced by a single mounting).
20mm gun is essentially the same mounting from WW2 till at least the 1980's (during the Falkland campaign many ships had single 20mm mountings bolted on as an emergency measure).

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Dracan Commonwealth AUPosted: November 23rd, 2010, 7:20 am
Quote:
Your help would be greatly appreciated in this as I don't know which 40 mm the Brits and Australians used on vessels, and the 12.7 quads will get replaced by 20mm duals. I would be honored if you would do the RAN version including modernizing them through the war.
Sorry, I haven't got a lot of time at present; I'm involved in a new AU with three other members :o Which means a lot of discussions and drawings being done 'behind the scenes'. But I take your point on the weapons; I'd meant to say that having multiple Vickers machine guns alongside 20mm Oerlikens would be a bit strange, as they belong to different generations of weapons. But overall you can't go wrong by comparing existing drawings at various stages between the mid to late thirties and into the early to late forties - RN and RAN that is. But if (as you say) you're going to refit with USN weapons at some stage its just a case of including like sytems from contemporary warships. I know there were quite a few refits of RN ships during the war that included a similar outcome. Anyway, good luck with a most interesting project. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Maple-leaf-Warrior
Post subject: Re: Dracan Commonwealth AUPosted: November 23rd, 2010, 10:54 pm
Alright, this is what I've got so far. If anyone could tell me if the aditional AA guns are plausable and what kind of Radars and Masts I should put on her I would aprreicate it (I'm not the greatest Naval expert) ;)

And guardian angels sang this strain:

"Rule, Britannia! rule the waves:
"Britons never will be slaves."

[Profile] [Quote]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: Dracan Commonwealth AUPosted: December 1st, 2010, 4:06 am
Thanks to MLW's brilliant war upgrade I was able to make the midwar version of the RDN's Dominion class BC. The Defiant and Dracan were both heavily damaged during the Battles of the Java Sea, seeing both the ABDDA HNLMS De Ruyter and HMS Exeter lost at sea, and both barely making it home under their own power, but crippling the IJS Nachi, and damaging the IJS Haguro. That damage caused a minor refit for weapons, as the "Pom-Pom" 2 pounders flaws became readily apparent, as was the requirement for more AAA on the ships as most of the damage was done by bombs from the IJAAF and IJNAF. The Dracan was a bit better off than the Defiant as the Defiant had taken 2 destroyer torpedoes, one on each side, and both forward 15" turrets were knocked out of action by a bomb, killing 24 servicemen.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Dracan Commonwealth AUPosted: December 1st, 2010, 6:52 pm
Please note that the secondaries of the Dominion class is the Mk.XX twin 4.7"/50 gun mounting. This mounting (at least in Real Life) was restricted to 50 degrees elevation, and thus was not a true AA weapon.
I know this is just a AU scenario, but if you are both using Royal Navy weapons you might consider using the Mk. III 4.5" mounting for instance which was also used on HMS Scylla (AA cruiser)

[Profile] [Quote]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: Dracan Commonwealth AUPosted: December 2nd, 2010, 12:17 am
Thanks for the input, Novice, but I like the look of the Mk. XX mount, and the gun could be a 4.5" AA, for the sake of making it work :P

[Profile] [Quote]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: Dracan Commonwealth AUPosted: December 10th, 2010, 9:25 am
Okay, enough WW2, time for most of the modern Dracan Commonwealth Navy:

First up is the New Paisley class DDG 2007 modernization, from its humble beginnings as a OHP class frigate. The Drac's felt it necessary to upgrade their aging fleet of New Paisleys, even though they were being replaced, although slowly by the Ministry class DDGs.
[ img ]

Next in line is the Ministry class DDGs. A home design, the Ministry class were built on a modified OHP hull, allowing for longer service life and an upgrade in weapons.
[ img ]

The MEKO 200 New Eire class FFGs were built in Dracan shipyards using a modified set of plans from Germany (with Permission at a hefty price). The first ships were commissioned in 1995.
[ img ]

The Caliburn class Customs Frigate was another home design. More for enforcing sea laws and keeping illegal whaling and fishing down, but also has ASW capabilities. One has actually sunk an illegal Japanese whaler in Dracan waters. Another was sent down to Antarctica to help the Steve Irwin enforce whaling laws. The Drac's don't mess around with conservation. First one was Commissioned in 2001.
[ img ]

Like its neighbor to the west, the DCN decided to go the submarine route rather than the Super Carrier route. The DCN has used Diesels for years and all of them home designs. Well the US and DC designers got together to help develop the Seawolf class attack SSN and in the process the DC was able to build its first class of Nuclear Attack submarine, the Mako class. There are currently 3 boats commissioned, and they are rumored to be better than the Los Angeles 688-i class, and just below the Seawolf class in performance. But the DCN did not forget its excellent Diesels either, the most recent diesel-electric submarine is the Shark class which performs on par or better than the Japanese diesels of the same size and far better than the German built 212's.
[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Dracan Commonwealth AUPosted: December 10th, 2010, 1:27 pm
OHPs can't take a VLS array where you put one on the New Paisley Class Destroyer.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 7  [ 68 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 57 »

Jump to: