Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 23 of 24  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page « 120 21 22 23 24 »
Hood
Post subject: Re: The Alternative Postwar Royal NavyPosted: October 15th, 2011, 10:48 am
Knut,

I agree Sub-Dart gives a ballistic-course anti-ship role, it could drop a dual-role homing torp near a surface contact or of course a nuke depth-charge... Same goes for a nuclear shore strike option but really thats not where I'd like the put this ship. In any event the CVA-01 with these ships has 18 Buccaneers with enough oomph to deal with Soviet units on the surface. IMHO subs tend to be the biggest threat along with air-launched ASMs.

As yet the Grey Line Faction amongs ourselves haven't chosen a final SSM contender but certainly Sub-Martel will make an appearance so some kind of early Sea Eagle SSM is likley.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
knut 75
Post subject: Re: The Alternative Postwar Royal NavyPosted: February 16th, 2012, 5:20 pm
As a keen follower of this brilliant design school (grovel grovel) hoping to seem some more of your excellent alt RN soon

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: The Alternative Postwar Royal NavyPosted: February 16th, 2012, 5:40 pm
knut 75 wrote:
As a keen follower of this brilliant design school (grovel grovel) hoping to seem some more of your excellent alt RN soon
WTF!!!!

[Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: The Alternative Postwar Royal NavyPosted: February 16th, 2012, 6:16 pm
knut 75 wrote:
Thanks; and, as a matter of fact I've spoken recently to Hood about some further ideas; now, if we can get Novice and Bombhead back on board :P

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: The Alternative Postwar Royal NavyPosted: February 17th, 2012, 10:47 am
Don't worry Knut we ain't finished yet! ;)

Super-Darings

[Profile] [Quote]
rifleman
Post subject: Re: The Alternative Postwar Royal NavyPosted: February 17th, 2012, 10:46 pm
Maybe a sugestion for missiles could be some other British missiles
EG Raiper,Blowpipe, Javelin, Starburst, Starstreak ,Firestreak and Skyflash in SAM role and Sea Skua, Martel and Sea Eagle in SSm and sub Surface- Surface. Could Blue Steel be fitted with a conventional warhead and fired from surface like a cruise missile?

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: The Alternative Postwar Royal NavyPosted: February 22nd, 2012, 9:17 am
Sub-Martel?I want to see this variant of Martel.

[Profile] [Quote]
knut 75
Post subject: Re: The Alternative Postwar Royal NavyPosted: February 24th, 2012, 12:47 pm
Bill and Hood Many thanks. I hope all comes together.

Rifleman

A Blue Steel derived ship missle would have been a nightmare to handle because of the
fuel. Also, as the creators have explained this Alt RN has a sizeable carrier component.
An RN without carriers was looked at in the early 60s but rejected because of the cost and
poor value of long range anti ship missiles. According to Friedman in his book on Destroyers and Frigate of the RN in the late 60s the RN looked at a long range missile again, this time the long range Otomat.
However, by the 70s the problem had been addressed by SSNs (Sub Martel, eventually Sub Harpoon) and frigates with Sea Skua. However, this Alt Royal Navy thread is not the place for an all missile RN, but maybe some other creators would like to take up the challenge. Hood, Bill, sorry if I went off the thread but I do find this part of RN history fascinating.

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: The Alternative Postwar Royal NavyPosted: February 24th, 2012, 3:34 pm
The Old Grey Funnel Line Faction (OGFLF) will, like the four Musketeers, one day, reform and recommence, but I would think at present we're all pursuing private projects, one of mine being applying for my own job :lol: So for me personally, time is becoming limited here; but thanks for the interest chaps; and, we will return!

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: The Alternative Postwar Royal NavyPosted: February 25th, 2012, 10:33 am
Future projects that need refining that I'll get round to are;
CVA-01 with Type 985 arrays
CVH-01
AU Type 43

As Bill says we're doing all sorts of stuff but I'm sure we'll having something to show in a month or so.

Super-Darings

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 23 of 24  [ 236 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 120 21 22 23 24 »

Jump to: