Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 60 of 90  [ 900 posts ]  Go to page « 158 59 60 61 6290 »
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: February 2nd, 2012, 10:06 am
Carthaginian wrote:
Some 'civilian' Sealift Command vessels are armed; the Mars class combat stores ships had as many as six 3" guns mounted at one time or another.
And if one really desires to get technical- ALL U.S. Coast Guard ships were owned by the Department of the Treasury or the Department of Transportation until 2002. This means that they were not military vessels at all, but armed civilian law enforcement vessels- occasionally rather heavily armed ones at that!

I see little real difference here- if the vessel's operational crew was taken for the Reich's 'Coast Guard Equivalent,' then it could probably get away with being armed while still being 'civilian' in nature.
And how many of the MSCs or USGCs ships do you think make port calls that haven't been arranged at governmental level?

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Carthaginian
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: February 2nd, 2012, 4:28 pm
Thiel wrote:
Carthaginian wrote:
Some 'civilian' Sealift Command vessels are armed; the Mars class combat stores ships had as many as six 3" guns mounted at one time or another.
And if one really desires to get technical- ALL U.S. Coast Guard ships were owned by the Department of the Treasury or the Department of Transportation until 2002. This means that they were not military vessels at all, but armed civilian law enforcement vessels- occasionally rather heavily armed ones at that!

I see little real difference here- if the vessel's operational crew was taken for the Reich's 'Coast Guard Equivalent,' then it could probably get away with being armed while still being 'civilian' in nature.
And how many of the MSCs or USGCs ships do you think make port calls that haven't been arranged at governmental level?
Who says this ship wouldn't prearrange it's ports-of-call in a similar manner?
I was unaware that any ship 'simply walked into Mordor' without some kind of advance approval. If a NOAA vessel is planning to stop in Japan, even though it's unarmed and crewed by civilians, it's still a foreign flag vessel and has ask the Japanese government for permission to enter harbor- right?

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: February 2nd, 2012, 4:38 pm
It depends, but civilian vessels in general are handled by the local harbour authorities.
In that regards research ships are considered the same as any other civilian ship.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Sternenschweif 1956Posted: February 3rd, 2012, 11:34 am
In 1956, after several voyages to the south atlantic, the 'Sternenschweif' received a second refit. All armament was given away, the bridge was stretched forward over the old mountings, the catapult was replaced by a large deckhouse with labs. Therewith the Kriegsmarine renounced the reserve status of the ship.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: February 3rd, 2012, 11:48 pm
Very nice Ashley, but I think you don't need the directors if you don't have any guns?

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Rusel
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: February 4th, 2012, 5:10 am
If I may be so bold
"of course the commercial success of Anton Flettner's designs made some enemies in OKW and he did not find his machines taken up in any great number within the armed forces. A pity given that so many others copied his designs and did receive support from their governments! For instance that communist thief Kamov used Flettner's fuselage concepts nearly line for line, while that capitalist Kaman virtually stole the whole of his small utility design for his so called Huskie. This is why is most cases you will not see any Flettner hubshrauber in illustrations."
A little poetic license, hope thats ok with everyone.
ciao

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Ultradreadnought USS Maine BB-69Posted: February 6th, 2012, 3:24 pm
Text follows, I'm in hurry, wait for edit, please.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: February 6th, 2012, 3:53 pm
That IS not a very American design, I'm afraid to have to say! Bow, stern, number of funnels all look un-American; especially the stern, which looks almost like a blown-up Spähkreuzer stern!
Ashley, this one you really need to work all over again. Also lose the incredulous row of scuttles in the hull. It's supposed to be a US BB, not a German!

[Profile] [Quote]
Carthaginian
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: February 6th, 2012, 5:51 pm
Also, the 'dent' in the hull is out of place. Only the South Dakota had that- and only then because of her unique armor layout. No other vessel class had that.

[Profile] [Quote]
SrGopher
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: February 6th, 2012, 8:12 pm
You might want to extend the stern maybe 20-30 feet. It looks like you have the rudder gear placed where the hanger for the floatplanes should be. The bow itself is fine. It is American-esque, but it looks 1910's-1920's clipper style. Same goes for the quarterdeck (If thats its name). It seems very Super-dreadnought-like. The overall spread out design of the main turrets, the bow and excess room leads me to believe that this may be a modernization of that 1912 Lexington class deign that Chuckshipart drew. As mentioned above, the stern looks very European. Even so, this is a very nice ship!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 60 of 90  [ 900 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 158 59 60 61 6290 »

Jump to: