Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 21 of 24  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page « 119 20 21 22 23 24 »
APDAF
Post subject: Re: The Alternative Postwar Royal NavyPosted: October 9th, 2011, 5:30 pm
I think it is for Gulf of Aden work.

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: The Alternative Postwar Royal NavyPosted: October 9th, 2011, 5:56 pm
Carthaginian wrote:
I don't think you could have picked a prettier Flower!
She is a handsome looking ship, and a worthy successor to the name.

My only real concern is that she has a sonar, but only short-range ASW weapons; any kind of longer-range weapon upgrade planned? As she has no integral helo support, the lack of any kind of stand-off weapon means that she is rather at a disadvantage.

Any 'upgrades' planned for her?
My idea was for an out lying sonar picket,maybe working in pairs.The helo deck is for refueling choppers short on juice far from their parent ship so extending endurance at a critical time during a sub hunt.I did another version armed with asroc type rockets.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: The Alternative Postwar Royal NavyPosted: October 9th, 2011, 6:19 pm
Great design!! I love the phanx on the last one :P

[Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: The Alternative Postwar Royal NavyPosted: October 9th, 2011, 8:16 pm
Hood wrote:
Well it took about five takes to get this ship to what you see now. In hindsight the capability to handle Wessex is the major stumbling block. You can see now wy the Counties had that akward sideways hangar, its just hard to get an aft SAM launcher and two FCR when you need a clear stern and a hangar.
Anyhow here are the never-were versions of this AU ship; (WARNING: you may need shades to protect your eyes!!)
[ img ]
[ img ]
AARGH!
Hood wrote:
[ img ]
Here is the revised variant with some equipment changes and removal of the hangar for a Wasp helicopter. I think this one is perhaps the best looking and most all-round ship.
Oh damn, that's a lot better looking.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: The Alternative Postwar Royal NavyPosted: October 10th, 2011, 8:22 am
Beautiful ship,I think she deserves a better name (the leader of the Class).Now for AU version,I thought some African countries,such as Kenya,Kongo and Thailand.

[Profile] [Quote]
knut 75
Post subject: Re: The Alternative Postwar Royal NavyPosted: October 10th, 2011, 11:19 am
Bombhead

The Flower class corvette is excellent! There are little bits of Vosper and Brooke Marine
in the design which is very much a 70s sleek ship. Interestingly the various Offshore Patrol Vessel
(OPV) designs considered by the RN after the Falklands War were far less attractive.

The Danish Navy's Stanflex ships and the Blohm/Voss MEKO concepts of modular weapons fits for
different roles and customers would really suit this vessel and make it attractive to numerous users.

In RN use in the 70s it would offer a good means of replacing the 2nd rate frigate force in various patrol
(this is NOT a task force ship I think) roles.
My favourite Seacat 2 missile system would be a necessary weapon. But you have a whole host of options with this ship

[Profile] [Quote]
Carthaginian
Post subject: Re: The Alternative Postwar Royal NavyPosted: October 10th, 2011, 12:07 pm
Bombhead wrote:
I did another version armed with asroc type rockets.
This was more the kind of armament that I would envision a modern Flower having!
She's a very specialized ASW ship- not the most expensive to build, but now she is something that that would make any sane sub captain think a little harder about closing with her convoy. The Phalanx also means that there is something onboard that can defend against missile attacks when the Backfires come... also a good idea for an outlying picket, who will generally be outside the SAM window of the convoy.

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: The Alternative Postwar Royal NavyPosted: October 10th, 2011, 3:31 pm
Thanks for the comments mates,I'm pleased you like the ships and the ideas behind them.

[Profile] [Quote]
rifleman
Post subject: Re: The Alternative Postwar Royal NavyPosted: October 12th, 2011, 8:31 am
deleted

Last edited by rifleman on October 12th, 2011, 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Morten812
Post subject: Re: The Alternative Postwar Royal NavyPosted: October 12th, 2011, 9:45 am
Hood wrote:
[ img ]
Here is the revised variant with some equipment changes and removal of the hangar for a Wasp helicopter. I think this one is perhaps the best looking and most all-round ship.
First of all, a amazing drawing

I like this very much - very pleasing lines and a well conceived armament with both the longrange Sea Dart and Sub Dart - great idea.
I miss a anti-ship missile like Exocet MM38, should be able space to fit these.

My first post i these great forum :-)

Regards
Morten Jensen
Denmark

Morten Jensen
Randers
Denmark

Traffic Manager

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 21 of 24  [ 236 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 119 20 21 22 23 24 »

Jump to: