Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 18 of 90  [ 900 posts ]  Go to page « 116 17 18 19 2090 »
Ashley
Post subject: BC Juan Manuel de RosasPosted: April 8th, 2011, 7:47 am
The plans for the argentine battlecruisers were revised completely soon after keellaying. The concept of a compact ship with complete firepower concentrated at the foredeck was rejected in favour of a more traditional design. The ARA Rosas became a large cruiser featuring many details of Scharnhorst class with some improvements. A second ship of the class was ordered with 15" twins but delayed, as the german shipyards were flooded with orders for Kriegsmarine.
[ img ]
Yes, looks like a reworked Scharnhorst. Be sure, it isn't.

[Profile] [Quote]
BrockPaine
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: April 8th, 2011, 1:26 pm
That's a better design, yes.

Incidentally, you might be interested to see here where the Wesworld Argentine player (Hood) ordered a German-designed and built battlecruiser class.
Ashley wrote:
Thank you guys for your really useful replies. I wish all forummates would give that qualified answers. I see, the design is really not that easy as I thought. While I won't redo it lets fire and forget it.
You're welcome. I feel a helpful response is better than a sneering one (although I've been accused of being sardonic even when I'm trying to be helpful... eh well...)
klagldsf wrote:
I don't think the design is entirely invalid. Like with Rodney and Nelson, it allows for a shorter armor belt, plus the Japanese did this a lot, particularly with Tone which most outright resembles this ship. It doesn't have to appease British design (they were never operationally satisfied with this design anyway) but it could be considered experimental.
Tone has a longer, less weighed-down aft deck which is dedicated to aircraft catapults; the greatest portion of her weight is forward and amidships. I believe Tone had several issues with the placement of her concentrated armament causing severe strain on the hull particularly in heavy seas.

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: April 8th, 2011, 1:59 pm
BrockPaine wrote:
Incidentally, you might be interested to see here where the Wesworld Argentine player (Hood) ordered a German-designed and built battlecruiser class.
Interesting design, too. Looks more like a Scharnhorst-derivate. My Rosas is half a step closer to the Bismarck-class. According to the story, it is in commissioning while Bismarcks keel is layed down.

I am not too satisfied with placement of the 10,5cm aa of Rosas. The firing angle is limited by the mid 15cm-twins. I'll do a halfsister in 1946s style with some improvements. Btw. the 10,5cm are reworked after examining some good photos. When old Kriegsmarine get refreshed, I would be pleased if my turrets were used.

Tone:
Tone was a very extraordinary design. I think, full broadsides would have shortened the hull lifetime extremely. Maybe this was accepted at contstruction and a special salvo frequency for the four turrets was used?

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: April 10th, 2011, 9:13 am
Good design, I like it.
Maybe move the 10.5cm outboard so that the deckhouse is flush with the hull side. That should give them better arcs.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: 2nd BC Juan Facundo QuirogaPosted: April 12th, 2011, 9:52 am
The second BC of the Rosas-class was more a halfsister. Equipped with the latest techs in gun direction it had multiple and redundand radars plus optical directors for land/sea-targetting and anti-aircraft guns. All gun armament of the Quiroga was radar-directed. Missiles were not adopted. Seaplanes were not supported, the 'Wuerzburg-Riese'-radar could monitor hundreds of km² in minutes.
The main artillery was the brand new 12"L70-gun, three triple turrets installed at classic positions. The secondairy were still the same 6" twins as installed on Rosas, but the positons were slightly changed to give the 3"aa a better firing arc. Heavy aa was 3" twins as followups to the old 10,5cm-twins, med aa was 5,5cm twins with barrel stored ammo. Light aa was not installed, but several positions are prepared for taking up 3cm-quads.
The hull was stretched a little bit for taking up the 25% higher powered machinery. The Quiroga was launched in 1945 and ready for shakedown cruises in 1946, shortly after the british defeat.
[ img ]

Last edited by Ashley on April 26th, 2011, 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
SrGopher
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: April 19th, 2011, 11:49 pm
Well, I'm new to Shipbucket. But, I've got some experience around the world of alternate universes and histories, and am myself in the process of making my own. I've presented my ideas to various audiences, getting mixed results about my designs. Some were constructive, some were encouraging, yet about half of them were just plain rude and unhelpful. Your designs are vastly superior to what I've seen come out of many people, Ashley. I know it's been said, but ignore any politics. Just focus on your own view.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rusel
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: April 22nd, 2011, 12:15 pm
Hi All
The derivation of such a three turret vessel doesn't have an historic background, other than the Scharn and Gneis twins. The length of the bow on your design looks as though A turret is going to be very wet. S and G evn after their clipper bow refits were still wet up front. Whether design effort would have gone into extending forward ala USS Iowa class ratios would have depended on the success of the luftflotten officers. Insight there are the half carrier half panzerschiffe designs of '44. I just don't see the KM putting all that effort into a purely big gun ship after '43.
With the USA sidelined, GB is holding out by lend-leasing anything they can get, (hasn't GB just finished paying off WWI?). This would mean that the KM would rely on a technical superiority of its aircraft ie early Me262 use with ju004 engines using Ukraine rare earth metal alloys. So the KM would operate under an umbrella of Me262 Ar440 Ta152 Ju288 He277 Me264. My favs would be He100 Fw187 He119 Hs127 Ju288 He277 as the core and then Me264 and navalised Ar440 Fw190D and say a single wing Fi267. Lots of zerstorer but with 128 Fk40, maybe Mboote come kanoneboote with 128Fk40, and Sboote. The big ships would probably all be lossed in an invasion just due to british stubborness in attack depending on successful laying of mine fields to shelter the invasion approach route. Eletro Uboote especially tXXIII would be ideal to defend such a fleet.
So if an invasion was being planned from say '42 onward with a three year lead time -
a) aircover is a necessity
b) electro UB a necessity
c) lots of big hitting small vessels to cover the invasion ships.
hmm enough waffle now
ciao

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: April 23rd, 2011, 2:06 am
I'd go back and put a medium-caliber AA turret on top of the bridge thingie. I'm feeling too ill to draw it out for you, so I'm going to guess you know what I mean.

[Profile] [Quote]
Mitchell van Os
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: April 23rd, 2011, 11:46 am
1st tower behind the funnel has no colour.

Embarked on: HNLMS Karel Doorman A833
To do list:
-Zeven Provincien class cruiser
-Joint support ship all sides
-F124 Sachsen class frigate
-F125 Baden-Württemberg class frigate
-Clemencau class aircraft carrier
-Zeven provincien class frigate
-Poolster class AOR
-Amsterdam class AOR
-Minas Gerais aircraft carrier

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: April 26th, 2011, 7:44 am
MitcheLL300 wrote:
1st tower behind the funnel has no colour.
Painters sacked, tower painted, thanks.

@ klagldsf: what bridge thingie are you about? I don't get it.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 18 of 90  [ 900 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 116 17 18 19 2090 »

Jump to: