Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 5  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
TurretHead
Post subject: Re: Rhodesia 1991Posted: August 8th, 2010, 2:48 am
Colosseum wrote:
Very well done, but make sure to color the railing to match the camo.
OK I missed that. Was copying the pattern dimensions from Psilander's Spica class but didn't see he had done the railings in a more suitable color. I've edited the picture and deleted the old one from Photo Bucket but it doesn't seem to be refreshing here? Update: had to change the file name for the image to update, but done and looking better.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Rhodesia 1991Posted: August 8th, 2010, 4:40 am
TurretHead wrote:
Here is my first Rhodesian ship! Just a modification but of the bucket Saar 4.
Eh, it works, but to really wow the mods you'd draw a ship entirely from scratch, after looking at some of Golly's, AVALMA's or Darth Panda's works :)

[Profile] [Quote]
TurretHead
Post subject: Re: Rhodesia 1991Posted: August 8th, 2010, 8:54 am
Here is the RhN Mozambique class, formerly corvettes of the ARA Espora class two of which were brought via Mozambique in 1986 and another partially built pair finished for Rhodesia. Until British recognition of Rhodesian independence in 1991 they flew the Mozambique flag.

[ img ]

They have been extensively modified in RhN service with weapons that couldn't be transferred to a third party replaced by indigenous Rhodesian weapons. This includes the twin Breda 40mm turrets replaced by Rhomel 42mm Serval guns (copies of the Oerlikon RK 421) and the MM40 Exocet replaced by Rhomel Hungwe (Fish Eagle) a license built IAI Gabriel III missile. The 76mm Oto Melara was replaced by a Rhomel 105mm gun turret in a later upgrade to improve shore bombardment capability. Secondary weapons include triple "Devil Cat" mounts for Rhomel 20mm Kiti guns (copies of the Mauser MG151/20) and the Rhomel 81mm Mk 6 clip or muzzle feed automatic mortar (copy of the Soviet 2B9 Vasilek). The extending helicopter hangar is shown closed.

Edit: Added the Rhomel Skylark Mk 3 helicopter. Second edit: Minor improvements, increase size of turret 'monster mouth' that no one has commented on!

Last edited by TurretHead on August 27th, 2010, 7:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Vossiej
Post subject: Re: Rhodesia 1991Posted: August 8th, 2010, 9:35 am
For a ship like that I would advice some manpads for surface-to-air defence.

[Profile] [Quote]
Mitchell van Os
Post subject: Re: Rhodesia 1991Posted: August 8th, 2010, 10:36 am
I dont know why, but i like this guy :lol:

Good job on this AU until now!
Can't wait to see more.
*take vossiej's advice serious he is good*

Mitch 8-)

Embarked on: HNLMS Karel Doorman A833
To do list:
-Zeven Provincien class cruiser
-Joint support ship all sides
-F124 Sachsen class frigate
-F125 Baden-Württemberg class frigate
-Clemencau class aircraft carrier
-Zeven provincien class frigate
-Poolster class AOR
-Amsterdam class AOR
-Minas Gerais aircraft carrier

[Profile] [Quote]
TurretHead
Post subject: Re: Rhodesia 1991Posted: August 8th, 2010, 10:49 am
klagldsf wrote:
Eh, it works, but to really wow the mods you'd draw a ship entirely from scratch, after looking at some of Golly's, AVALMA's or Darth Panda's works :)
Thanks but I’m mostly interested in tanks and guns and drawing my AU. Have to make the ships fit the history so they are off the shelf. I am however working on the Muramba combat boat in 20 pixels equals a meter which is original. I have drawn it in 2 pixels = a foot and will include it in my AU with the other shipbucket scale but it looks pretty small and unimpressive. I’m not out to impress or wow anyone but myself and hope the moderators and other senior members will appreciate my input for what it is.
Vossiej wrote:
For a ship like that I would advice some manpads for surface-to-air defence.
Thanks but how do you draw a manpads? Like 7.62mm MGs I’ve left them out. The Rhodesians in my AU have limited guided missile technology and industry so focus it on air to air and long range anti-surface missiles. They have captured SA-7s and a few Stingers passed on by UNITA but these are mostly used by special forces and have limited shelf time.

The 42mm Serval is the best anti aircraft gun in the world. It fires a 42x348mm shell that blasts a 1 kilo shell at over 1,000 mps which is a 80% increase in muzzle energy over the 40mm Bofors. It shoots these rounds at 450 per minute through a seven chamber revolver serving two barrels. This gun is of course stolen from Oerlikon and details are here: http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/RED%20QUEEN.htm While no gun is as good as a guided missile against a course changing target the Serval is no slouch. It can also blast coastal and fishing boats being used to infiltrate terrs and their supplies.
MitcheLL300 wrote:
I dont know why, but i like this guy :lol:

Good job on this AU until now!
Can't wait to see more.
*take vossiej's advice serious he is good*
Thanks, anyone called Mitch can’t be bad so I like you too. In my family military service is a must so I know my stuff as well but not so much boats and ships though I like their looks.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Rhodesia 1991Posted: August 9th, 2010, 12:15 pm
unpinning this topic. This is a good AU scenario, but lets not favour anyone over anyone elses.

Golly

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Rhodesia 1991Posted: August 9th, 2010, 3:52 pm
... repinning the topic. Any good AU we find should be stickied, that's how we used to do it anyway. Sticky yours if you want.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Rhodesia 1991Posted: August 9th, 2010, 5:43 pm
We have good AUs, but then again, we shouldn't favor anything above something so I stickied them all

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Rhodesia 1991Posted: August 9th, 2010, 5:44 pm
Unpin the Iot thread. Its not a good scenario, and I dont consider it to be better than others.

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

Last edited by ezgo394 on August 9th, 2010, 11:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 5  [ 50 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: