Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
acelanceloet
Post subject: FMLACPosted: December 30th, 2012, 8:16 pm
[ img ]
from friedmans US destroyers:
Quote:
the focused mission local area combatant (FMLAC) was the low end of the COEA series, corresponding to the smallest of a possible family of ships (concept 3D2, the Tailored Maritime Support Ship). it was essentially a frigate, a perry replacement; it can also be thought of as an american equivalent to the French Lafayette class stealthy frigate. in fact the french ship defined the level of signature control desired. as initially envisaged, it would have selectable modules: a 32 cell vertical launcher, area air defense capability, medium range gunfire support, a special operations support module, a humanitarian support module, a disaster relief capacity, and the capacity to support an armed helicopter. this concept is not too far from the current danish command/support ship, which is actually an modular frigate with similar capacities (except for area air defense). Unit price was set at 550 million in FY 95 terms. the ship was armed with NATO Sea Sparrow, initially in eight vertical cells (quad packed, for an total of 32) but ultimately in a 32 cell Mk-48 launcher, plus a 5-in./62 gun, two 25mm guns, and a helicopter. the short upper mast carries a TACAN and an IR search/track sensor. As in Lafayette, there is no hull sonar. the pair of SRBROC decoy launchers on the deck would be shielded from radar by bulwarks. unlike the other COEA designs, this one had conventional rotating radars (TAS Mk 23 and the NSSM director) they were enclosed type of low-cross-section mast (AEMS). the forward tower would have carried, from top to bottom, a sea sparrow director, a TAS Mk 23 search radar, an SPQ-9B horizon search radar, and the SLQ-32(V)2 ESM system. the short mast aft would have carried a second sea sparrow director(it was not an uptake). a larger version with variable depth sonar was offered. dimensions were 403.4(overall) x 45.9 ft, for an displacement of 4260 tons. like other COEA sketch designs, this one used integrated electric drive, with two PGM-1 plus a PGM-3 emergency generator. speed was 30 knots, and accommodation would have been provided for 212.

[Profile] [Quote]
Cybermax
Post subject: Re: FMLACPosted: December 31st, 2012, 4:28 am
Interesting. Look like the US Navy should have gotten this as a Perry replacement instead of the LCS.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: FMLACPosted: December 31st, 2012, 2:38 pm
Pretty ugly (no reflection on Ace's work, it just looks ugly!) but probably might have been a smart move for the USN.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
kellyj
Post subject: Re: FMLACPosted: December 31st, 2012, 6:54 pm
The 5" looks out of place for the hull size. I think the Oto 76mm would fit better. You could save $$$$ by using the gun strait from decom FFG7 assets. Looks like room on the hanger for a Phalanx or RAM also.
In either case, this would probably prove much more useful than the LCS.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: FMLACPosted: December 31st, 2012, 7:03 pm
kellyj wrote:
The 5" looks out of place for the hull size.
That's what would've been on the boat. The 76mm gun would've been inadequate for the NGS mission the vessel would've been partially designed for.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: FMLACPosted: January 4th, 2013, 12:00 am
It needs a helo on the helo pad, and other than that it looks complete.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: FMLACPosted: January 4th, 2013, 5:21 am
Well, while it's probably as complete as the source material will let you, I'd venture at least a bit into the speculative realm in order to give it that final touch.
Morring gear, shutters over the RHIB bay, that sort of thing.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: FMLACPosted: January 4th, 2013, 9:23 am
sh*t! forgot the helo.
I will look at the other points as well, but there are shutters over the rhib bay.... well at least, nothing really is visible on similar shutters on the lafayette and burkes.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: FMLACPosted: January 4th, 2013, 9:42 pm
well, did some modifications, IMO this is about it. note that this ship will always look bland and empty because all details I could possibly add would be clustered in the same positions (the rear of the hangar, the bridge windows, the 25mm guns, the rhib bay) due to the ships stealthiness.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: FMLACPosted: January 5th, 2013, 4:00 pm
Since the 25mm are in an enclosed bay, some very aggressive shading behind them would seem appropriate. On the other hand, the knuckle at main deck level seems too boldly shaded - it's a much less sharp angle than the shading would make it appear. Masker belts would seem almost a given (two, as wide apart as possible, in the compartment forward of the main machinery space). Another nice drawing feature, IMHO, would be a little side drawing of the mast (and after ESSM director) cut away, without the low-observable cladding. This would neatly illustrate what's actually inside.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 11 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: