Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 8 of 18  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page « 16 7 8 9 1018 »
Cybermax
Post subject: Re: German WW1 and WW2 carrier projectsPosted: May 10th, 2013, 3:32 am
Running out of adjectives to describe your work there so I guess I'll agree with everyone here. :D

[Profile] [Quote]
DG_Alpha
Post subject: Re: German WW1 and WW2 carrier projectsPosted: July 4th, 2013, 6:59 pm
In November of 1916, SMS Roon was disarmed and used as a training and barracks ship. By 1918, the need for mobile aircraft support had become apparent. The conversion of the light cruiser SMS Stuttgart had been the first step, but the smaller ship's capacities for aircraft were limited. Plans were made to convert SMS Roon in a similar fashion, but due to the ship's size, she would be able to carry four seaplanes.

The aft superstructure and hull would be cut down and replaced with a hangar. All the casemattes and torpedo tubes were closed up and the 150mm side turrets and 88mm guns removed. Instead, 150mm half-open mounts and 88mm single Flaks would take their place. The main 210mm front artillery would be replaced with two side-by-side mounted 150mm guns as well, for a total of 6 x 150mm and 6 x 88mm. A new type of tower was included as well, in a similar style to Stuttgart.

The plans for conversion never came to fruition. The Navy instead decided to rely on Zeppelins and focus on the conversion of the steamer Ausonia and later, U-boats. Roon was finally decomissioned in 1920 and scrapped in 1921.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: German WW1 and WW2 carrier projectsPosted: July 4th, 2013, 8:24 pm
Very interesting and splendidly made.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: German WW1 and WW2 carrier projectsPosted: July 5th, 2013, 12:52 am
Interesting concept...nice work!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: German WW1 and WW2 carrier projectsPosted: July 5th, 2013, 8:12 am
I wondered whether we would see the planned seaplane conversion, and here it is in full glory and with a top-view too! Great work.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Radome
Post subject: Re: German WW1 and WW2 carrier projectsPosted: July 5th, 2013, 12:38 pm
This is awesome! the top view looks great!

[Profile] [Quote]
BrentD15
Post subject: Re: German WW1 and WW2 carrier projectsPosted: July 5th, 2013, 1:43 pm
Very nice stuff! I wonder if Roon will get the full CV conversion. ;)

However, what confuses me about the GZ are those brass rods below the bow of the ship.
What are those, exactly?

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: German WW1 and WW2 carrier projectsPosted: July 5th, 2013, 3:45 pm
BrentD15 wrote:
However, what confuses me about the GZ are those brass rods below the bow of the ship.
What are those, exactly?
Those are Voith-Schneider propellers.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
BrentD15
Post subject: Re: German WW1 and WW2 carrier projectsPosted: July 6th, 2013, 1:00 am
Thiel wrote:
BrentD15 wrote:
What are those, exactly?
Those are Voith-Schneider propellers.
Oooh! :)

[Profile] [Quote]
DG_Alpha
Post subject: Re: German WW1 and WW2 carrier projectsPosted: July 6th, 2013, 5:21 pm
Exactly. Like all German warships, GZ had to pass the Kiel Canal. However, with her huge hull she posed a large area of attack for side winds and her maximum speed in the canal (9kn) wasn't enough to compensate. These Voith-Schneider propellors were there to keep her steady. They were also powerful enough to accelrate the whole carrier alone to a whopping 4kn, given there was no current, wind or any form of rough sea... (The propellors were also completely retractable).

I don't think there was ever a full carrier conversion planned for Roon, as far as I know, so there are no plans for me (at the moment). Currently, I'm trying to get the Hipper-class done.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 8 of 18  [ 175 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 16 7 8 9 1018 »

Jump to: