Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 6 of 17  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page « 14 5 6 7 817 »
Thiel
Post subject: Re: CV 58 - United StatesPosted: January 27th, 2012, 5:24 am
Remember, the 3" guns have solid black barrels.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: CV 58 - United StatesPosted: January 27th, 2012, 6:14 am
Agree with Tim here! It promises to be a real cracker of a carrier! And, you've vindicated the hapless Secretary of Defense (formerly of the Navy) James V. Forrestal, who either committed suicide or was shadily murdered because of the inter-service fights about whether to spend money on this class of super carriers or develop a new inter continental jet bomber with nuclear payload. This ship should definitely have been built!

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: CV 58 - United StatesPosted: January 27th, 2012, 6:36 am
Awesome work indeed!! I Remember started a Dutch style version of it a while back, for more reason you make me want finnish it haha!

[Quote]
Hawkeye
Post subject: Re: CV 58 - United StatesPosted: January 27th, 2012, 10:27 am
Have disovered a big mistake (flightdeck, front area and starboard cat and the first starboard elevator).
Have fixed it. Am working on the radomes for the AN/SPS-6C antennas and think about to fill the free space
on the port side. The barrels of the 3"/L70 guns are black again.
The little towers becomes windows (the little tower on the starboard side is the PFC,
the little tower on the port side is the SFC, the big tower on the starboard side is the
command and navigation bridge, the big tower on the port side is the Admiral bridge).
Time for brunch.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hawkeye
Post subject: Re: CV 58 - United StatesPosted: January 27th, 2012, 4:43 pm
Here's the new update
I have find a source in the net totally unknown for me before.

http://books.google.de/books?id=YyQDAAA ... &q&f=false

So I have changed somethings (but not all). There are gunnery and navigation bridges on the corners of the flight deck
and they're under glas.
I have draw four radomes 'Cause I don't believe in three for this carrier. One of the first designs of the
Forrestal-Class was a flushdeck carrier with three radomes. One on the stern but there are no guns.
To get the full 360 degree of scanning you need four devices in this case. I'm absolutly sure.
In the URL above you can see a pic of the towers with two rows of windows. All other sources talking about one row.
That's why I have draw just one row. I have changed the little towers (PFC/SFC) 'Cause there was a little bit to small (2pxl)
and now they have windows too.
And it's a PNG-Format now.

Here it is:

[ img ]

-Michael-

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: CV 58 - United StatesPosted: January 27th, 2012, 5:18 pm
I'm moving this to the Never Built section. It doesn't belong in the Beginner section anymore ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Biancini1995
Post subject: Re: CV 58 - United StatesPosted: January 27th, 2012, 5:32 pm
pretty good ship.

Now for aircraft ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: CV 58 - United StatesPosted: January 27th, 2012, 5:34 pm
Hear, hear! Good move, erik! This vessel is really taking an awesome form!

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: CV 58 - United StatesPosted: January 27th, 2012, 8:30 pm
erik_t wrote:
klagldsf wrote:
And I think operational wisdom - especially with the Japanese and the few fully enclosed-hangar carriers they produced - bore out the wisdom of USN operational doctrine.

Of course what's practical now has changed quite drastically and no longer resembles what's practical back then.
Well, the flight deck is the strength deck now, so one simply cannot have an open hangar. Of course, large elevator cutouts provide substantial ventilation as required.
That reminds me, I know the Midways were the last carriers with a below-flight deck strength deck (and were probably pushing it then) and the Forrestals the first with the flight deck being the strength deck; would United States have followed the same pattern as the Forrestals?

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: CV 58 - United StatesPosted: January 27th, 2012, 8:56 pm
The Forrestal evolved quite explicitly from the CVA-58 design studies, so yes. CVA-58 was the first design to have the flight deck as the strength deck, and this was forced exclusively by the need to have a tall ship girder to compensate for the immense length. At first, it was not a popular decision.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 6 of 17  [ 162 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 14 5 6 7 817 »

Jump to: