Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 11 of 23  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page « 19 10 11 12 1323 »
BB1987
Post subject: Re: USA - Montana Class BattleshipPosted: May 25th, 2014, 7:15 pm
Colombamike wrote:
1944/1945 & 1948 refs is approaching
Just keep in mind that 1945 and 1948 ones are those that need less references as they are mainly a work of upgrading to the newer parts what's already there ;)

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: USA - Montana Class BattleshipPosted: May 25th, 2014, 7:19 pm
Looks excellent. Funnily enough I had actually considered doing my own version of the Montana with all the new stuff, but seems you've beat me to it. ;)

I'm in the process of moving apartments this weekend, but when I get some time I'll pull the boat cranes from the BB-55 drawing and post a "clear" version for you.

Re: help with the smaller stuff, rest assured I'll take a look at it later this week when I get some time. Looks great so far!

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: USA - Montana Class BattleshipPosted: May 25th, 2014, 7:36 pm
Colosseum wrote:
Looks excellent. Funnily enough I had actually considered doing my own version of the Montana with all the new stuff, but seems you've beat me to it. ;)
Basically chance made thing go this way, I have new and better sources for Yamashiro incoming, so I've put her on hold until they arrive. I so thought about working on something else in the meantime, and your North Carolina class and USN master sheet basically suggested me it was a good time to update the Montanas. :lol:
Colosseum wrote:
I'm in the process of moving apartments this weekend, but when I get some time I'll pull the boat cranes from the BB-55 drawing and post a "clear" version for you.
Re: help with the smaller stuff, rest assured I'll take a look at it later this week when I get some time. Looks great so far!
Thank you very much!

-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: USA - Montana Class BattleshipPosted: May 26th, 2014, 5:15 am
As promised here's the boat crane from BB-55: [ img ]

The 5"/54 mounts envisioned for this class (the Mark 41 mount) would not have resembled 5"/38 dual mounts (at least in my opinion). I can't find any schematics (real or otherwise) for the 5"/54 Mark 41 dual gun mount - but there's plenty available for the single Mark 39 mount (as used ultimately only aboard the Midway-class carriers). The NavWeaps page is a good place to start, and here's the HNSA Gun Mount and Turret Catalogue entry for the Mark 39 single mount. I think in practice a dual mount would just look very similar to the single mount (at least a side elevation view as required by Shipbucket). Unsurprisingly I can't find any official entries for the Mk.41 mount (probably because it was never actually in service). The 5"/54 gun mount has a very distinctive "beveled" upper aft edge which I think should be reflected in the drawing.

Use the front-facing drawings on the beam-mounted Mk.37 directors! I drew those for a reason! :) :p

I think it's very difficult to imagine this ship reaching any stage of completion without receiving an enclosed catwalk around the middle of the fire control tower, probably at the 07 or 08 level above the main deck.

That's all I have for now (it's midnight and I'm exhausted from moving stuff all day). Hopefully later in the week I can make a more detailed group of suggestions!

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: USA - Montana Class BattleshipPosted: May 26th, 2014, 1:29 pm
Colosseum wrote:
As promised here's the boat crane from BB-55: [ img ]
Thank you very much,
Colosseum wrote:
The 5"/54 mounts envisioned for this class (the Mark 41 mount) would not have resembled 5"/38 dual mounts (at least in my opinion). I can't find any schematics (real or otherwise) for the 5"/54 Mark 41 dual gun mount - but there's plenty available for the single Mark 39 mount (as used ultimately only aboard the Midway-class carriers). The NavWeaps page is a good place to start, and here's the HNSA Gun Mount and Turret Catalogue entry for the Mark 39 single mount. I think in practice a dual mount would just look very similar to the single mount (at least a side elevation view as required by Shipbucket). Unsurprisingly I can't find any official entries for the Mk.41 mount (probably because it was never actually in service). The 5"/54 gun mount has a very distinctive "beveled" upper aft edge which I think should be reflected in the drawing.
You raised a fair and valid point, so I think I'll craft a 5"/54 Mk-41 fromthe Mk.39 just as i crafted from the 5"/38, this surely for the 1945 and 1948 versions. As for the 1941/1943 plans I might do too although I'm a bit undecided as I'm trying to stick exactly on what the offical models showed. Although it is pretty, and highly, possible that the fact the mounts seen on those models resembled the standard 5"/38 was just motivated by the fact that the actual 5"/54 mounts had not been finalized yet, and those on the models were pretty much like "placeholders".
Colosseum wrote:
Use the front-facing drawings on the beam-mounted Mk.37 directors! I drew those for a reason! :) :p
In the making! :D
Colosseum wrote:
I think it's very difficult to imagine this ship reaching any stage of completion without receiving an enclosed catwalk around the middle of the fire control tower, probably at the 07 or 08 level above the main deck.
This is reflected in the 1945 and 1948 drawings, as I was saying, at least for the 1941/1943 drawings I want to stick as close as possible to what the offical USN models of the Montana Class showed. The 1948 reflects the most plausible fit at completion (with commissioning after the end of WWII like the Des Moines CAs, as a consequence of the priority given to CV constructions), the 1945 is the most "what if" of the five, showing Montana commissioned by mid 1945 with constructon stared by mid 1942 as initially planned sporting the "classic" suite of 40mm bofors and 20mm orelikons, much like as she is usually shown in every BB-67 model shown around the web.
Colosseum wrote:
That's all I have for now (it's midnight and I'm exhausted from moving stuff all day). Hopefully later in the week I can make a more detailed group of suggestions!
Thanks, I'll wait :)

Also, I take the opportunitiy to land the 1945 and 1948 WIPs too.
[ img ]
[ img ]

-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: USA - Montana Class BattleshipPosted: May 26th, 2014, 3:16 pm
on you'r 1945: look at the main gun barrel... upsi!

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: USA - Montana Class BattleshipPosted: May 26th, 2014, 5:08 pm
heuhen wrote:
You mean the barrels being half blue on their upper side? If that's the case, fear not, because both North Carolina and Washington were painted that way :D

-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: USA - Montana Class BattleshipPosted: May 26th, 2014, 5:40 pm
BB1987 wrote:
heuhen wrote:
You mean the barrels being half blue on their upper side? If that's the case, fear not, because both North Carolina and Washington were painted that way :D
wow..

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: USA - Montana Class BattleshipPosted: May 26th, 2014, 6:11 pm
Deleted, to save space thread

Last edited by Colombamike on May 29th, 2014, 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: USA - Montana Class BattleshipPosted: May 26th, 2014, 6:54 pm
heuhen wrote:
The upper part of the barrel is painted in the Measure 22 color

As a side note the French navy used the gun 5"/54 as well in twin mountings on the cruisers De Grasse and Colbert and the Surcouf class of destroyers (in fact to utilize the available USN ammunition) and so the size and weight of the French mounting can be used as reference as regards the size.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 11 of 23  [ 223 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 19 10 11 12 1323 »

Jump to: