Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 7  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 57 »
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: HMS Incomparable: Jackie Fishers 6 20 inch gun battlecruPosted: December 3rd, 2012, 9:14 am
just an quick update: new turrets!

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: HMS Incomparable: Jackie Fishers 6 20 inch gun battlecruPosted: September 20th, 2014, 1:37 am
A little while ago, Ace passed on his WIP of HMS Incomparable to me for detailing. Ace had completed 90% of the drawing and it only required detailing which I have done.

[ img ]

With little more than the line drawing to work from, I have used parts from the Renown and Courageous classes to complete it.

In my view if Incomparable was to be proceeded with, it would have been laid down in 1917 and could not have completed before 1922, especially with the go slow that unfinished ships at the end of WW1 were subject to. While the original drawing reflects those ships then being built (Renown and Courageous classes) the final design would have more reflected the later designs of the Admiral class and Furious. I.e. the secondary battery would have gone away from the triple 4" and replaced them with the 5.5" guns fitted to the later designs, with the 4" AA guns as per those on Hood.

If anybody has any views on this prior to me doing my rendition, I am willing to listen to views other than my own

Nigel

Last edited by Krakatoa on January 29th, 2015, 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
ailgin
Post subject: Re: HMS Incomparable: Jackie Fishers 6 20 inch gun battlecruPosted: September 20th, 2014, 1:40 am
After you do the editing you have mentioned, I would hope that you will do a WW2 version.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: HMS Incomparable: Jackie Fishers 6 20 inch gun battlecruPosted: September 20th, 2014, 8:23 am
Excellent work. Looks like a Courageous on steroids mixed with a beefed-up Renown! A true battlecruiser pedigree.
I think you've done a good job on the details, filling in outline plans is hard, especially when the ship has no real comparison in service.
I can't wait to see the 'as completed' version with Admiral and Furious inspiration.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: HMS Incomparable: Jackie Fishers 6 20 inch gun battlecruPosted: September 20th, 2014, 10:34 am
As requested the "As Completed" version through to 1930.

Please note, I have added three octuple 2pd mountings that would not have been fitted to the ship prior to 1927-30.

[ img ]

Last edited by Krakatoa on January 29th, 2015, 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: HMS Incomparable: Jackie Fishers 6 20 inch gun battlecruPosted: September 20th, 2014, 10:45 am
Looks good!
Pardon me just one tweak. On the 1916 drawing view from the conning tower seems to be completely blocked by the "B" 20-inch gun turret.

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: HMS Incomparable: Jackie Fishers 6 20 inch gun battlecruPosted: September 20th, 2014, 10:52 am
Incredible! She would've been a beautiful ship, and probably made the Germans rethink arming the Twins with 11-inchers!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: HMS Incomparable: Jackie Fishers 6 20 inch gun battlecruPosted: September 20th, 2014, 10:54 am
Thanks BB1987,

I had seen that but was not sure whether I should change it as that was how it was shown on the line drawing.

I will raise the conning tower and see how it looks.

Complete set of drawings on one sheet.

[ img ]

Last edited by Krakatoa on January 29th, 2015, 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: HMS Incomparable: Jackie Fishers 6 20 inch gun battlecruPosted: September 20th, 2014, 2:53 pm
good work Krakatoa! the only thing I am concerned about is the amount of windows: I think I followed refs with my original hull windows, are you sure there should be so many?

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: HMS Incomparable: Jackie Fishers 6 20 inch gun battlecruPosted: September 20th, 2014, 7:27 pm
Hi Ace,

For the hull portholes I followed the Renown layout which has the same belt armour placement as Incomparable. I looked at using the Admirals placement but they have much more side armour than Incomparable and they do not pierce any armour so have a large blank space between the B and Y turrets that is porthole free.

Nigel

Edit: I also used the artists impression that showed the portholes all along the hull.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 7  [ 64 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 57 »

Jump to: