Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Scifibug
Post subject: The Carrier Dock Multimission (CDM)Posted: April 23rd, 2011, 6:46 pm
In the early 1990's Popular Mechanics had a ship design from the David Taylor Center. The design was called The Carrier Dock Multimission a large (40,000+) ton platform that would serve as the base design for most naval ships. These would replace most ships in the fleet and complement the large Nimitz class carriers (CVNs) support groups of smaller "Scout fighters". A later Proceedings article called a similar ship called "Carrier of large objects". It was similar to the previous idea but included late Burke classes as Battleforce ships.
There was a similar drawing captioned as the LX in a 1980’s Surface Forces Review, but I don’t know if its ralated.
[ img ]

Designing the Future U.S. Naval Surface Fleet for Effectiveness and Producibility

The Industrial Perspective Conference Proceedings Meeting Minutes

I thought I posted this already but couldn't find it under my posts, If I did, sorry.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: The Carrier Dock Multimission (CDM)Posted: April 24th, 2011, 12:41 am
It looks like a very nice drawing. I wish I knew more about the concept; I'll try to find some resources myself. Certainly it needs an aft-facing (and port-facing) SPY-1 face, although I don't know how to fit those in without going against the art. Depending on what the article said, I doubt that the flight-deck-level turret is Goalkeeper, and I am having trouble figuring out how the after mount could work.

I'm excited to watch this drawing progress. It's clear that you can make it as good as the resources we find will allow.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: The Carrier Dock Multimission (CDM)Posted: April 24th, 2011, 9:01 am
An interesting proposal, a landing ship on steroids or a very modern LHA with obvious self-defence and limited offensive capability as well.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: The Carrier Dock Multimission (CDM)Posted: April 24th, 2011, 2:33 pm
Another nice on SciFi :) You seem to be the source for never built USN projects.

[Profile] [Quote]
Scifibug
Post subject: Re: The Carrier Dock Multimission (CDM)Posted: April 25th, 2011, 6:17 pm
A long history of collecting misc. crap, much to my wife's concern. But you should of seen my uncle, he had Popular Sciences from the 40's and 50's. GREAT STUFF!
Heardd his daughter trashed it all after he died. :cry:

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: The Carrier Dock Multimission (CDM)Posted: April 25th, 2011, 8:14 pm
Sacrillage.Had she not heard of 'cash in the attic' ?

[Profile] [Quote]
Scifibug
Post subject: Re: The Carrier Dock Multimission (CDM)Posted: May 13th, 2011, 10:24 pm
First pass, I really don't know what else to do with it.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: The Carrier Dock Multimission (CDM)Posted: May 13th, 2011, 10:37 pm
Nuclear is it?

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Scifibug
Post subject: Re: The Carrier Dock Multimission (CDM)Posted: May 13th, 2011, 10:55 pm
integrated electric gas turbine :oops:

Things I forgot list:
1. Gas turbine intakes and exhausts

[Profile] [Quote]
Carnac
Post subject: Re: The Carrier Dock Multimission (CDM)Posted: May 14th, 2011, 3:32 am
Is it just me, or does that "goalkeeper" in the picture look more like a 57mm gun?

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: