Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 10 of 14  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page « 18 9 10 11 1214 »
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: USS New Hampshire (BB-55)Posted: June 19th, 2014, 3:16 pm
Here the assumption is that She did not undergo the 1943-44 refit; but rather, was at Pearl Habor and was severly damaged enough to undergo a rebuild along the lines of the Tennessee.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Wolfman
Post subject: Re: USS New Hampshire (BB-55)Posted: June 19th, 2014, 3:22 pm
Looks really good!

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: USS New Hampshire (BB-55)Posted: June 19th, 2014, 3:23 pm
Wolfman wrote:
When the DP 6" comes along, assuming the war carries on long enough, you could replace the 6" with those... or you could simply put 5"/38 turrets onto those barbettes, like was done with the Wyoming when she was a gunnery training ship (AG-17)...
I agree; however, the 6" DP guns were not designed until 1943 and did not enter service until 1948

NavWeapons states

"These guns did not prove reliable in service, possibly because of the high rate of fire and need for any-elevation loading. Another contributing cause was that they used a dual projectile hoist system - one for AP and one for HC/AA shells - which proved to be a source of jamming. And the dual-purpose performance came at a steep price in weight, with these twin turrets weighing about 20% more than the triple turrets used on the previous Cleveland class. In this regards, it should also be noted that the late-war equivalent 5"/38 (12.7 cm) armed Atlanta class AA cruisers carried the same number of guns on less than half the displacement of Worcester. In other words, two Atlantas carrying a total of 24 of the excellent 5"/38 (12.7 cm) guns could be built for less tonnage than one Worcester carrying half as many guns, albeit more powerful ones."

They go on to say that a triple mount would have had a theoretical 20-25 round per minute rate of fire.

[Profile] [Quote]
Wolfman
Post subject: Re: USS New Hampshire (BB-55)Posted: June 19th, 2014, 3:27 pm
Okay, the 6" DP is out. So that leaves putting the twin 5"/38 turrets on the 6" barbettes. I know it could be done because I've seen pictures of Wyoming as AG-17 with the twin 5"/38 turrets mounted in the barbettes of A, B, and Y turrets...

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: USS New Hampshire (BB-55)Posted: June 19th, 2014, 4:27 pm
It looks so top heavy! I'd reduce the superstructure by at least one level... maybe even two.

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: USS New Hampshire (BB-55)Posted: June 19th, 2014, 4:37 pm
Colosseum wrote:
It looks so top heavy! I'd reduce the superstructure by at least one level... maybe even two.
I thought so too. Then I compared her to Missouri:
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Wolfman
Post subject: Re: USS New Hampshire (BB-55)Posted: June 19th, 2014, 4:50 pm
Hmm, looks like you've got yourself something to think about...

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: USS New Hampshire (BB-55)Posted: June 19th, 2014, 5:02 pm
One level shorter, any shorter and the #2 Turret obscures the conning tower.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: USS New Hampshire (BB-55)Posted: June 19th, 2014, 5:18 pm
Edit: my bad, i misunderstood about the conning tower...
[ img ]
I'd also move the foremost 5-inch gun towards the stern.

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: USS New Hampshire (BB-55)Posted: June 19th, 2014, 5:36 pm
That looks much better. It's important to remember the Iowas were new designs vs. something that was essentially "bolted on" to an existing ship... the modernized old battleships always have a "squat" appearance that I think should be reflected in this drawing. It looks fine to me now.

Somehow the old and inaccurate SG radar drawing has crept back into this version of the ship... it's amazing to me how resilient some parts can be...

Also: why is there a Mk.44 director still present atop the pilot house? By this point all light AA directors would be Mk.51s or Mk.57 (possibly). Now that I look in depth, there are many Mk.44 directors still present along with the old (out of scale) Mk.51...

One stylistic complaint I have with all these drawings is the use of the darkest shade on the gun tubs. Very few USN gun tubs of the period were equipped with wind deflectors (come to think of it, it may just be an error from my old Iowa drawings), and either way, the overhang is not drastic enough to warrant that dark shade color. I would use the lightest shade color on the first pixel under the overhang if at all necessary. This nicely represents the outboard slope of the splinter shield top without being distracting and ugly. Large areas of black and dark grey really detract from the drawing and should be minimized whenever possible.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 10 of 14  [ 132 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 18 9 10 11 1214 »

Jump to: