Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 5  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 »
bezobrazov
Post subject: British Armoured Cruisers: Duke of Edinburgh-ClassPosted: March 5th, 2011, 3:24 am
Well, as I did promise. Here's my rendition of one of my favorite cruisers all time: The infamous and famous Duke of Edinburgh-class. I've depicted the HMS Black Prince during one of her happier days, in 1912/13, stationed in the Mediterranean at Valetta, Malta. Eventually I hope to have some time over to make her as of 1916 with her very low (and useless) 6" battery suppressed and with three 6" a side instead between the wing 9.2" turrets.

Basically these ships, designed by Sir Phillip Watts were marked by their handsome, graceful lines, uncluttered superstructure and very powerful main battery. Both ships were quite fast; the Black Prince doing well over 23 knots at trials. That she met such a gruesome end on the night of 31 May/1 June 1916, wasn't her design's fauult, but rather the final act of an immensely haughty, arrogant and tragic admiral's decision to put honor before reason.

Anyway, I hope I've done the ship the honors she so richly deserves.

Here is HMS Black Prince as of 1912/13 with raised funnels and the splendid inofficial Coat of Arms contributed by KimWerner, which shows the three plumes of Wales on a black thrice pronged shield with the ship's name band beneath and a Corona Navalis cresting it:

[ img ]

Last edited by bezobrazov on December 20th, 2011, 11:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
darthpanda
Post subject: Re: British Armoured Cruisers: Duke of Edinburgh-ClassPosted: March 5th, 2011, 3:25 am
Loving it!

- RHKAAF / HKGFS - 皇家香港輔助空軍 / 政府飛行服務隊
- Gunbucket - LINK

天滅中共全黨死清光!

[Profile] [Quote]
WhyMe
Post subject: Re: British Armoured Cruisers: Duke of Edinburgh-ClassPosted: March 5th, 2011, 3:43 am
Great drawing!
A couple of concerns on the ship's badge though.
The sails and flags in the crown shouldn't be painted; the crown is all gold (except for the gems).
Also I think you might have misinterpreted colors of the head; it should be all silver with golden crown jeweled red and blue. Here is a good example:
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: British Armoured Cruisers: Duke of Edinburgh-ClassPosted: March 5th, 2011, 4:04 am
Hey WhyMe, Can I use that - if you drew it? Absolutely gorgeous! But, as for the sails and the flags, they are actually painted! I've based the crest on an original showing that. But otherwise yours is so totally complete! But, it was hard to attempt to draw it, I admit to that! 8-) :) ;)

Thank you Darthpanda. To you and Bombhead goes a big gratitude and thanks in having taught me how to best draw this period's ships. I've studied yourdrawings and practically disected them pixel by pixel!

[Profile] [Quote]
WhyMe
Post subject: Re: British Armoured Cruisers: Duke of Edinburgh-ClassPosted: March 5th, 2011, 5:06 am
bezobrazov wrote:
Hey WhyMe, Can I use that - if you drew it? Absolutely gorgeous! But, as for the sails and the flags, they are actually painted!
Sorry, I didn't draw it; I just googled for HMS Black Prince badge and this image came up.
About the painted sails and flags: I understand that you based it on a real thing yet it's not correct from heraldry point of view. My guess is that it was someone's willful touch ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: British Armoured Cruisers: Duke of Edinburgh-ClassPosted: March 5th, 2011, 7:13 am
Very nice.
However, the pulleys on the masts and booms should be outlined in black, the searchlights seems sub-par compared to the rest of the drawing and the searchlight platforms should be done in three pixel width rather than two.
A rule of thumb is if it can support a man it has to be three pixels thick/wide.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: British Armoured Cruisers: Duke of Edinburgh-ClassPosted: March 5th, 2011, 8:21 am
Simply BEAUTIFULL :D

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: British Armoured Cruisers: Duke of Edinburgh-ClassPosted: March 5th, 2011, 10:15 am
Beautifull bezobrazov, an excellent rendition of a very beautifull ship.
One point concerning the Union flag at the top, as I don't think it was ever flown from a masthead.
In the RN the flag is called Union Jack, for the simple reason that it is flown when anchored (usually), from the jack.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: British Armoured Cruisers: Duke of Edinburgh-ClassPosted: March 5th, 2011, 10:28 am
WOW a very nice drawing there bezobrazov.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: British Armoured Cruisers: Duke of Edinburgh-ClassPosted: March 5th, 2011, 10:54 am
For Thiel: I'm not so sure, since, like I said, I've dissected both Bombhead and Darthpanda's excellent drawings for the time period. I've used Bombhead's pulleys whichI found most appealling! As for the platforms, I'll look into it come Monday...

Novice, normally you'd be darned right. But the Union Flag at the foretop denotes the presence of a high-ranking officer onboard. And, yes, there are pictures of her with that arrangement.

And thank you, Bombhead! But I owe a great debt to you for teaching me how to!

Colombamike: Thank you, thank you! Very kind of you!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 5  [ 42 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: