Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 5  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 »
David Latuch
Post subject: French Heavy Cruiser AlgériePosted: February 12th, 2016, 5:23 pm
Here is a redrawing of the French Heavy Cruiser Algérie, first drawn by Karle94.

The French heavy cruiser Algérie was the final French treaty cruiser built to counter the Italian Zara-class cruisers. Algérie was a radical departure from her predecessors possessed improved armor protection and a tower foremast rather than a tripod mast which allowed her to mount her main gun director atop the tower with her secondary directors flanking the main director in sponsons just bellow and slightly aft, giving her a unique appearance.

Algérie, September 15, 1934
[ img ]

Algérie, After First Refit, January 1941
[ img ]

Algérie, August 24, 1942
[ img ]

Algérie, Two Months Later Scuttled at Toulon November 27, 1942 Along with 77 Other Ships
[ img ]

Last edited by David Latuch on March 28th, 2021, 6:13 pm, edited 8 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
maomatic
Post subject: Re: French Heavy Cruiser AlgériePosted: February 12th, 2016, 5:26 pm
Excellent work!
Very nice looking cruisers.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: French Heavy Cruiser AlgériePosted: February 12th, 2016, 5:35 pm
David....
Your 1942 Algerie still contains various errors :roll:
We will correct them in the following weeks/months when we get to....Algerie
but I think right now you have to do other drawings :mrgreen:

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: French Heavy Cruiser AlgériePosted: February 12th, 2016, 5:39 pm
...and where are the white squadron band we talked about, mon cher ami? :D (and, please ignore Mike's "orders", if he's so darn eager, why can he not do it himself? - oh, wait, he CANNOT! Yes! that's it! Just follow your patch, you're doing a helluva job, friend!)

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: French Heavy Cruiser AlgériePosted: February 12th, 2016, 5:43 pm
really good work!

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: French Heavy Cruiser AlgériePosted: February 12th, 2016, 5:52 pm
bezobrazov wrote:
...and where are the white squadron band we talked about, mon cher ami? :D (and, please ignore Mike's "orders", if he's so darn eager, why can he not do it himself? - oh, wait, he CANNOT! Yes! that's it! Just follow your patch, you're doing a helluva job, friend!)
Ari,

I wasn't shure about Algerie 1934 and 1940's bands :D Are they the same as the 1942's?

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: French Heavy Cruiser AlgériePosted: February 12th, 2016, 6:21 pm
If you were unsure, that's fine, but you could've communicated with me! In 1942 the Algerie did not carry any squadron bands, so my advice was only for the ship up, until 1940/41.

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: French Heavy Cruiser AlgériePosted: February 12th, 2016, 6:25 pm
bezobrazov wrote:
If you were unsure, that's fine, but you could've communicated with me! In 1942 the Algerie did not carry any squadron bands, so my advice was only for the ship up, until 1940/41.
Oh very well; I'll fix them. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: French Heavy Cruiser AlgériePosted: February 12th, 2016, 6:36 pm
Here's a constructive criticism of the 1942 version: A 5m stereoscopic R/F is missing on the top of the C/T; the masst/antenna on the fore tower needs to be much lower. Yours is very detailed and attractive, but alas wholly wrong! The Carley(?) floats appears to be needing to be rearranged; the "pergola" has some features that did not exist and needs to be overhauled to agree with photos. The "B"-turret and ""Y"-turret both lack the neutrality markings (both 1940 and -42 versions!) And, finally, the aircraft doesn't have the striped red/yellow tail markings, typical for Vichy French ships thus equipped.

These are the things I can immediately spot. Otherwise a clear and substantial improvement on the previous versions!

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: French Heavy Cruiser AlgériePosted: February 12th, 2016, 6:41 pm
bezobrazov wrote:
Here's a constructive criticism of the 1942 version: A 5m stereoscopic R/F is missing on the top of the C/T; the masst/antenna on the fore tower needs to be much lower. Yours is very detailed and attractive, but alas wholly wrong! The Carley(?) floats appears to be needing to be rearranged; the "pergola" has some features that did not exist and needs to be overhauled to agree with photos. The "B"-turret and ""Y"-turret both lack the neutrality markings (both 1940 and -42 versions!) And, finally, the aircraft doesn't have the striped red/yellow tail markings, typical for Vichy French ships thus equipped.

These are the things I can immediately spot. Otherwise a clear and substantial improvement on the previous versions!
Thanks for the direction, I'll get on it. As for the pergola, I did a lot of looking at drawing, photos and models of it. But, I'll re examine it.

Thanks again Ari.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 5  [ 44 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: