Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ] 
sailor82
Post subject: Bay class minesweepersPosted: November 1st, 2013, 7:09 pm
This was a class of twenty units that were built in the early 1950's. The ships were built to a British postwar design, with 14 vessels initially planned for the RCN. Six units were sold to the French Navy in 1954 and were replaced by six more new construction units with the same name but different pennant numbers. Four units were sold to the Turkish Navy in 1958. Of the remaining 10 units, two were paid off in 1964, and the other eight vessels were relegated to patrol and training purposes. The last of these units was paid of in 1998 and have since been replaced by the Maritime Coastal Defense Vessels (MCDV).

As built:
[ img ]
With bridge awning:
[ img ]
With midships crane removed and radio antenna moved:
[ img ]
As training vessel:
[ img ]

Source material is very hard to come by on the web. I started out with Portsmouth Bills drawing of HMAS Curlew and borrowed some components from Acelanceloet's drawing of the Dokkum class.

Last edited by sailor82 on November 1st, 2013, 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Bay class minesweepersPosted: November 1st, 2013, 7:21 pm
pretty nice. I am not entirely content with the way you have done the streaks along the hull, but hey, each his own preference.
what I am wondering about is the masts drawn in grey (per sb standard it should be black) the prop axis (I really thing 3 pixel looks better) the gun looks huge and did she use the same radar as the dutch one? (which was an signaal build radar, IIRC)

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Bay class minesweepersPosted: November 1st, 2013, 7:25 pm
Nice effort, but I'd say that mast outline, propeller shafts, "pillars" below the sides of the bridge should be IMHO outlined fully in black (3-pixel rule). Also I'd make a black line on the bilge keels-hull connection.
And I'd make the streaks differently too, but that's more a matter of personal preference. ;)
Oh, and the maple leaf on the smokestack looks too anti-aliased to me.

Anyway, nice to see the "less glamorous" class of ships ("less glamorous" than CV's, BB's, DD's and the like ;) ) being done. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
sailor82
Post subject: Re: Bay class minesweepersPosted: November 1st, 2013, 7:36 pm
I prefer to use 2-pixel wide in this case as the masts and pillars seemed way too bulky and disproportionate for the size of vessel in this drawing. It's a compromise, but it's something that I have been playing with.

Yes, that is a Dutch radar. It more closely resembles a Sperry MkII radar. I think I am going to update that one though.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Bay class minesweepersPosted: November 1st, 2013, 7:41 pm
well, I prefer to think my dokkum class drawing shows that 3 pixel works fine.
(and on even smaller vessels like the van straelen http://www.shipbucket.com/images.php?di ... raelen.png)
certainly the mast and bridge stuts can be 3 pixel, or maybe some parts even 1 pixel instead. I think most of sb prefers 1 pixel even over 2 pixel lines, even if they are grey.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Bay class minesweepersPosted: November 1st, 2013, 7:55 pm
Quote:
Also I'd make a black line on the bilge keels-hull connection.
im not sure...the way its done here is actually looking quite good. The 2 pixel is however basicly against the SB style and rules, so there I adjoind the other comments. Otherwise nice ships, and I like the tone of the color quite alot actually.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Bay class minesweepersPosted: November 1st, 2013, 9:07 pm
Nice drawings, and I join the others in their praise, as well as their comments.
The Sperry Mk.2 radar can be found on the Canadian St Laurent class frigates, as well as the other 'Cadillac' types. You also may find the 'Maple-leaf' emblem on their funnel.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
sailor82
Post subject: Re: Bay class minesweepersPosted: November 1st, 2013, 9:52 pm
I will see what I can do about the 2-pixel style. I agree about the 1 or 3-pixel style, but when trying to illustrate masts or support posts (pillars) on small vessels such as minesweepers and patrol craft, I was hoping for a middle ground where either style seems too bulky or too weak.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs”

Jump to: