Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 4  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 »
Navybrat85
Post subject: Portland ClassPosted: May 22nd, 2013, 8:34 pm
If someone has done this, please forgive me. I did a quick search and did not come up with any results.

This is a work in progress

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: Portland ClassPosted: May 22nd, 2013, 8:40 pm
Portland was a modified Northampton and we have them in archive. You can use them as reference.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Navybrat85
Post subject: Re: Portland ClassPosted: May 22nd, 2013, 11:23 pm
Thanks, Rhade. Just looking at the designs, I can see a lot of similarities, but from my references there are a number of differences...Are those the actual 5/25 mounts there? I didn't see those in the parts sheet, so I have the open pedestal 5/38s standing in.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Portland ClassPosted: May 22nd, 2013, 11:47 pm
Navybrat85 wrote:
Are those the actual 5/25 mounts there? I didn't see those in the parts sheet, so I have the open pedestal 5/38s standing in.
If you know the correct Mark and Mod you can get schematics of the guns on the Historic Naval Ships Association Gun Catalog page.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Portland ClassPosted: May 23rd, 2013, 4:42 am
1. What specific ship is this?

2. Are you going to represent each ship of the class?

3. What year are you representing with this drawing?

These questions are crucial and must be answered before you continue.

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Portland ClassPosted: May 23rd, 2013, 6:06 am
Based on the appearence of the ship, I`d guess 1942-1943.

[Profile] [Quote]
Navybrat85
Post subject: Re: Portland ClassPosted: May 23rd, 2013, 6:40 am
Right now, it's USS Portland. I'll have to look, but until 1945 weren't Portland and Indianapolis identical? I know one of Indy's catapults was removed prior to her final mission.

Once I have the '42 look down, I'll go back to the original configuration and the later configurations.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Portland ClassPosted: May 23rd, 2013, 12:28 pm
You better either get this one absolutely correct, mate or let someone more proficient do it! Right now your picture does NOT represent this class even by a wide, generous margin! The hull is wrong, so is the superstructure. Also, on the latest iteration of the Northamptons I did completely redraw the 5"/25s, so those are the ones to be used. Main turrets are wrong too. As for the Portland specifically, she ad a different (taller) funnel than her sister for most of her career, and she was lost at Guadalcanal in Nov. 1942. If you decide to proceed, I'll keep a close eye on the development of this project. Also, if you decide to draw the Indy as of the New York Fleet Days of 1935, from which event history has brought us several attractive images of her, thanks to her association with one of our greatest-ever presidents, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, I drew the presidential flag for the USS Houston already.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Portland ClassPosted: May 23rd, 2013, 1:20 pm
bezobrazov wrote:
As for the Portland specifically...and she was lost at Guadalcanal in Nov. 1942.
Um, U.S.S. Portland survived the war, although she was badly damaged at Guadalcanal in November 1942.

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Portland ClassPosted: May 23rd, 2013, 1:40 pm
bezobrazov wrote:
You better either get this one absolutely correct, mate or let someone more proficient do it! Right now your picture does NOT represent this class even by a wide, generous margin! The hull is wrong, so is the superstructure. Also, on the latest iteration of the Northamptons I did completely redraw the 5"/25s, so those are the ones to be used. Main turrets are wrong too. As for the Portland specifically, she ad a different (taller) funnel than her sister for most of her career, and she was lost at Guadalcanal in Nov. 1942. If you decide to proceed, I'll keep a close eye on the development of this project. Also, if you decide to draw the Indy as of the New York Fleet Days of 1935, from which event history has brought us several attractive images of her, thanks to her association with one of our greatest-ever presidents, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, I drew the presidential flag for the USS Houston already.
This is a little bit too harsh - your words are not really helpful or encouraging at all. You are not the final arbiter of who gets to draw what. You should be encouraging and helping Navybrat, not insulting him and lording your superior grasp of various trivia over him and the rest of us.

Anyway, to Navybrat's question, I am not really an expert on these ships, but from a cursory glance at Friedman's Cruisers - I would draw Portland as built, Portland in 1942 (during the Guadalcanal campaigns), and Portland at the end of the war. I don't have a scanner with me otherwise I'd send you the drawings and photos from Friedman's. This class is documented fairly well, though, so using Navsource and other websites should be easy.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 4  [ 34 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: