Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 4  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 »
paul_541
Post subject: USS Nimitz CVN-68Posted: February 28th, 2013, 10:11 pm
Hi everybody ! I am abourt finishing the TOTALL redrawing of the old USS Nimitz. Could I have some help for the electronics onboard ? :?
[ img ]

Thanks in advance. ;)

HMCS Bonaventure CVL-22 and later alterations
Paul 2024

Last edited by paul_541 on September 22nd, 2015, 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: USS Nimitz CVN-68Posted: March 1st, 2013, 12:17 am
This is a critical question - what year are you drawing it?

[Profile] [Quote]
paul_541
Post subject: Re: USS Nimitz CVN-68Posted: March 1st, 2013, 12:23 am
circa 2008's

Paul 2024

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: USS Nimitz CVN-68Posted: March 1st, 2013, 12:57 am
There is no "circa". A drawing should show the ship as it appeared at an exact date.

I'm also not a fan of people who draw one of "variants", and don't draw the whole series. The Nimitz needs a drawing of its commissioning date, and then another drawing for the rest of its evolutions.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: USS Nimitz CVN-68Posted: March 1st, 2013, 1:04 am
I had to ask because the electronics fit on the carriers changes on a semi-regular basis. While it's a bit later than you were initially looking for, Navsource has a good image that should show what you are looking for. The ship has an SPQ-9B atop the mast flanked by sat-com dog-dishes. I can't quite tell where they mounted the surface search set, but it's not the mesh-backed one that you have floating above the SPS-48. It's going to be a bar type antenna, likely the SPS-67. And, if I had to guess, it would go forward of the SPN-43 set (the thing that faces aft). I'll get you the updated sat-com set when I get a chance later this evening, but it looks good. The main sets (other than surface search) look good.
Colosseum wrote:
There is no "circa". A drawing should show the ship as it appeared at an exact date.

I'm also not a fan of people who draw one of "variants", and don't draw the whole series. The Nimitz needs a drawing of its commissioning date, and then another drawing for the rest of its evolutions.
He could probably get away with not drawing all of the versions as you'd get a lot of overlap between Nimitz on one date and Ike or Vinson on a similar date. This presumes he does all 10 Nimitz 'class' ships.

[Profile] [Quote]
paul_541
Post subject: Re: USS Nimitz CVN-68Posted: March 1st, 2013, 1:50 am
TimothyC wrote:
I had to ask because the electronics fit on the carriers changes on a semi-regular basis. While it's a bit later than you were initially looking for, Navsource has a good image that should show what you are looking for. The ship has an SPQ-9B atop the mast flanked by sat-com dog-dishes. I can't quite tell where they mounted the surface search set, but it's not the mesh-backed one that you have floating above the SPS-48. It's going to be a bar type antenna, likely the SPS-67. And, if I had to guess, it would go forward of the SPN-43 set (the thing that faces aft). I'll get you the updated sat-com set when I get a chance later this evening, but it looks good. The main sets (other than surface search) look good.
Colosseum wrote:

He could probably get away with not drawing all of the versions as you'd get a lot of overlap between Nimitz on one date and Ike or Vinson on a similar date. This presumes he does all 10 Nimitz 'class' ships.
I can try this ;) And also I have no good references for the commissionning (especially for the pictures) so I just begin with the latest version with picture as in 2008.

Paul 2024

[Profile] [Quote]
Gator_Country
Post subject: Re: USS Nimitz CVN-68Posted: March 1st, 2013, 12:30 pm
Well, Nimitz and Ike had SPS-48C, SPS-49, SPS-10F, and the MK 25 BPDMS when commisioned. Nowadays they have MK 29 ESSM, MK 49 RAM, NO CIWS, SPS-48E, SPS-49, SPS-64(V), SPS-67(V), and SPQ-9B AFAIK, if this helps any.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: USS Nimitz CVN-68Posted: March 1st, 2013, 6:47 pm
may I advice to use the latest parts for the Mk 29, Mk 49 RAM, some of the dog dish satcoms and the Mk 95 NSSM illuminator?
also, a little less dark cutout colour and a sneak peak into the hangars would look really nice.... is the bilge keel really that straight and is the anchor really gold?

[Profile] [Quote]
paul_541
Post subject: Re: USS Nimitz CVN-68Posted: September 14th, 2015, 2:48 am
acelanceloet wrote:
may I advice to use the latest parts for the Mk 29, Mk 49 RAM, some of the dog dish satcoms and the Mk 95 NSSM illuminator?
also, a little less dark cutout colour and a sneak peak into the hangars would look really nice.... is the bilge keel really that straight and is the anchor really gold?
Noted for the sneak peak into the hangars and I tried to have the latest parts fors the electronics. ;)

[ img ]

Also, here is an another update of my work. I am also asking some help for some measures of the ship like distances between 1: the aft and the 3rd elevator 2: between the bridge block and the bow 3: between the bridge block and the aft... Someone could help me ?

Paul 2024

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: USS Nimitz CVN-68Posted: September 14th, 2015, 5:33 am
For the OE-82 SatComms I'd warmly recommend you "cannibalize" any of the Canadian Tribal (Iroquois-) class post-TRUMP or Halifax-class FFGs. I've wholly redrawn them for those classes, giving them more depth and "content". Remember though, they usually are paired, so any one you'd pick need to be turned in the same direction! - Otherwise splendid effort so far!

My Avatar:ะŸะตั‚ั€ ะะปะตะบัะตะตะฒะธั‡ ะ‘ะตะทะพะฑั€ะฐะทะพะฒ (Petr Alekseevich Bezobrazov), ะ’ะธั†ะต-ะฐะดะผะธั€ะฐะป , ั†ะฐั€ัะบะฐั ะ’ะœะค ะ ะพััะธะธ(1845-1906) - I sign my drawings as Ari Saarinen

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 4  [ 31 posts ]  Return to โ€œReal Designsโ€ | Go to page 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: