Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 5  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 »
acelanceloet
Post subject: Oliver Hazard Perry class frigates & subclassesPosted: February 11th, 2012, 6:32 pm
Well after an relatively long wait, finally the first of this set of drawings are ready to be posted. This class really doesn’t need an introduction, as these are probably one of the most well known warships.

This again is an case of the always improving standards of the bucket. It was an long consideration if I would start on the most kitbashed ship of the bucket, but after I had done an Dutch version of the ship, so many problems and small mistakes emerged that it became clear an redraw was in order. The old drawing was never more off than 10 pixels…. But it was off 10 pixels everywhere! Seeing that I had exquisite source material thanks to TimothyC and Erik_T, I decided to do an complete redraw.

After the ship was more or less finished, one part stood out. The mk 13 wasn’t really fitting in the new drawing. After some discussions we decided to update. More about this in an separate thread.

I chose to use the first and one of the last build ships to represent the long and short hull classes. Updated versions of both are coming soon, and the foreign versions will most likely be updated too. (in case I lack time, I will give (some of) those away, and if somebody wants to volunteer doing one of them, just ask ;) ) updated parts are going into the parts sheets with the next update as well.

First of all, an comparision of the old and the new:
[ img ]
The old one:
[ img ]
And the actual new drawings:
FFG-7
[ img ]
[ img ]
FFG-7 class (short hull representative)
[ img ]
[ img ]
FFG-60 (long hull representative)
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
I will keep updating this first post every time I finish another version.

Well, hope you all like, and please comment.

Last edited by acelanceloet on November 30th, 2013, 8:43 pm, edited 9 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Oliver Hazard Perry class frigates & subclassesPosted: February 11th, 2012, 6:36 pm
could go easy with the riggin, since they are not sailships, and every pixel counts ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Oliver Hazard Perry class frigates & subclassesPosted: February 11th, 2012, 6:43 pm
Fantastic improvement.

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Oliver Hazard Perry class frigates & subclassesPosted: February 11th, 2012, 7:04 pm
Yes, but the screw? Is it really that huge?

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Oliver Hazard Perry class frigates & subclassesPosted: February 11th, 2012, 7:06 pm
You've gone from being, at best, an ok drawer with some odd drawing habits to probably and honestly the most valuable asset we have on Shipbucket now. Well done.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Oliver Hazard Perry class frigates & subclassesPosted: February 11th, 2012, 7:33 pm
Good job turning an ugly design into an awesome drawing!

The only advice I would offer is to go easy on the rigging, it's a bit distracting, but other than that it looks great.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Oliver Hazard Perry class frigates & subclassesPosted: February 11th, 2012, 7:54 pm
@ colo and golly: for the rigging.... well I think that is just my style of drawing. without the wire antenna I miss an important part of the ship, so the only thing I might really edit something is the flaglines. I might try to experiment a bit with the colour of the wires so they don't 'jump out' that much. I will take a look, but I can promise nothing. and @golly, on the sailships, you have seen the ones I drew...... those are even worse in case of 'draw every line possible :P

@ PB: apparently, it is. it might be 1-2 pixels off, as the source material was vague on this and I only had an line that showed the largest diameter, this should be about it. still, considering it is only one, the prop be about twice as big as that of an similar displacement ship with 2 props, and that is about right: http://www.shipbucket.com/Real%20Design ... 201975.png.
also, I have drawn her with the blades as much in the length direction as it could be, opposed to most prop drawings in the bucket, which makes her look larger as well. an rather special design does the rest

@ klagldsf: I am a bit proud you are saying that :shock: anyways, shipbucket made me choose my current education, where I am learning more about ships every day, so I am glad to be able to do something back ;)

and at all: thanks a lot, I am glad you like it!

[Profile] [Quote]
paul_541
Post subject: Re: Oliver Hazard Perry class frigates & subclassesPosted: February 11th, 2012, 8:34 pm
AWESOME IMPROVEMENTS ! :shock:

Greetings. ;)

HMCS Bonaventure CVL-22 and later alterations
Paul 2024

[Profile] [Quote]
Chuck ship art
Post subject: Re: Oliver Hazard Perry class frigates & subclassesPosted: February 11th, 2012, 9:07 pm
when I first open the post I thought I am on the computer to much I am seeing double. :lol:

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Oliver Hazard Perry class frigates & subclassesPosted: February 11th, 2012, 10:51 pm
Great work Ace. Really really good.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 5  [ 46 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: