Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 10 of 19  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page « 18 9 10 11 1219 »
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico As Build 1918Posted: May 11th, 2014, 7:27 pm
Spike wrote:
I don't know what it is about superstructure details that they just keep catching my eyes lately. However, there are some minor changes needed to the conning tower on both the 1918 and the 1933 drawings.

1.) The shape of the supporting structure beneath the conning tower is not identical in shape to the conning tower itself. It is a series of flat panels.

2.) The row of viewing slits that you illustrate well down on the conning tower appear to actually be the objects on surface of the conning tower support structure. I have no idea what these objects actually are. They aren't viewing slits and they are too small to be portholes. I doubt that these objects, whatever they are, are worth including in the drawing.

3.) There are too many viewing slits in the conning tower. Only 3 should be visible in a broadside view. Remember, the more holes you make in armor plate, the weaker it becomes.

4.) This on concerns the 1933 drawing only. The height of the conning tower is too low. A captain looking out of the viewing slits in that tower would only see the rear plates of Turret #2. Just copy in the 1918 tower - I'd leave the object that you have atop the conning tower, my photos from NavSource don't show anything there. Are you confusing that with the searchlight that was mounted immediately aft of the tower on the forward edge of the superstructure?

This photo of Idaho fitting out helps explain the first 2 or 3 points.

I hope this helps.

[ img ]
This is closer to your photo.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Spike
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico As Build 1918Posted: May 11th, 2014, 9:08 pm
It does look better. Since we can see a ledge where the conning tower and siding over the supporting structure meet, you might consider moving the siding out by one pixel at the front. If there is enough space.

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico As Build 1918Posted: May 11th, 2014, 11:29 pm
[quote="Spike"]It does look better. Since we can see a ledge where the conning tower and siding over the supporting structure meet, you might consider moving the siding out by one pixel at the front. If there is enough space.[/quote

Will do.

How's this?

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico As Build 1918Posted: May 14th, 2014, 7:09 pm
Help!

Hi, I'm working on a drawing of the New Mexico after her 1941 refit. I know that her orginal 5"/51s were removed to make room for anti-aircraft guns (from a couple of photos I have from NavSource, I know that some were 1.1" quads). Does any one have any referrance material forthis period. She still had not received the 40mms nor 20mms.

Here's what I've been able to do so far.

[ img ]

Thanks

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico As Build 1918Posted: May 14th, 2014, 11:01 pm
New Mexico had the modified measure 12 in december 1941. http://www.shipcamouflage.com/measure_12_modified.htm

[Profile] [Quote]
Spike
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico As Build 1918Posted: May 19th, 2014, 5:29 am
OK, you're going to hate me now. I found an oopsie. The superstructure as you currently have it is . . . USS Idaho. The drawing is missing New Mexico's pilothouse, which was unique to that ship. The raised pilothouse meant that the platforms on the foremast were also higher than those of her sisterships. The mainmast platforms either need to be raised or the searchlight platform lowered. As usual, pictures to help explain.

[ img ]

[ img ]

and for a little more on the shape of the pilothouse.

[ img ]

[ img ]

Just for reference purposes, Mississippi

[ img ]

and Idaho as well.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico As Build 1918Posted: May 19th, 2014, 8:36 am
:o :D :oops: :o :D :roll: Spike I couldn't hate you. Excellent photo research! You're the man. Now it's back to the shipyards to fix the Lady.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico As Build 1918Posted: May 19th, 2014, 12:46 pm
Don't change the drawing; make a copy of it and modify it to show New Mexico. Use the original, change the credits, and you've got USS Idaho. :)

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico As Build 1918Posted: May 19th, 2014, 1:39 pm
I thoroughly second the Emperor on this! Do that! Remember, I love to see all the sisters in any class, because they usually have discernible differences!

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico As Build 1918Posted: May 19th, 2014, 2:12 pm
The Arizona and the Pennsylvania also had a second bridge level like that in the 20s. Also of note, the New Mexico was not commisioned with a second bridge structure like that, it was added shortly after.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 10 of 19  [ 181 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 18 9 10 11 1219 »

Jump to: