Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 9 of 11  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page « 17 8 9 10 11 »
Hood
Post subject: Re: French-built ships for foreign NaviesPosted: August 9th, 2014, 9:06 am
Nice work and an interesting fact, I never knew they were painted khaki. Probably makes sense in the coastal role.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: French-built ships for foreign NaviesPosted: August 9th, 2014, 9:39 am
Yes, it make sense in East Mediterranean, coastal waters seems greenish from air in several areas. Do not forget that both Gal and Dolphin Class submarines were painted green instead of he more usual black or grey. A color more close to Israeli submarines should be better, but this khaki is adequate. Not sure for Aegean though, which is more close to blue than green.

[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: French-built ships for foreign NaviesPosted: August 9th, 2014, 11:07 am
Hello again!

First, thanks for the praise!

Second, the colour I used is my personal guess what khaki-ish green might look like, I have no firm knowledge about the true formula. Since the Turkish fleet was not very active during the war, the camouflage was probably thought to hide the ships while at anchor; given the local vegetation (or lack thereof, especially in the formerly ottoman territories to the south), the Khaki might actually have been much browner, who knows. I'll stick with my version if it is considered uploadable, but I'll bow to anyone with superior knowledge. I can't really say if that illustration of Colombamike's qualifies, because I could not check the site Colombamike took the illustration from; it tried to install a trojan when I opened it, which does not improve my trust in its contents :evil:.

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: French-built ships for foreign NaviesPosted: August 9th, 2014, 2:41 pm
Excellent, very interesting addition!

[Profile] [Quote]
maomatic
Post subject: Re: French-built ships for foreign NaviesPosted: August 10th, 2014, 3:41 pm
Excellent work!

Very interesting to learn about the khaki camouflage of the Ottomans.

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: French-built ships for foreign NaviesPosted: August 21st, 2014, 1:17 pm
Breath-takingly-beautiful-UGLY ships :D I'm with Bezo on that point, but so fantastically well done. I bow before you Master. :oops:

Last edited by David Latuch on September 23rd, 2014, 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: French-built ships for foreign NaviesPosted: September 22nd, 2014, 7:23 pm
Hello again!

A little afterthought to the French destroyer series: The Vnymatelniy- and Lovkiy-Classes of the Imperial Russian Navy.

The first five - Vnymatelniy, Vnuzhitelniy, Vynosliviy, Grozovoj and Vlastniy - were very similar to the French Durandal-Class, but with one less 47mm gun (at no loss for the broadside, because the aft gun was mounted amidships); the main gun in front of the bridge was slightly heavier (75mm instead of 65mm). They were ordered in 1898 and completed in 1902. All fought in the Russo-Japanese war; three were lost. They were initially painted in the white-buff russian tropical livery:
[ img ]

For the war against Japan, they were painted olive green:
[ img ]

The two survivors were retrofitted with a second 75mm gun; the 47mm pieces were all landed. Both served in the first world war in the arctic.
[ img ]

The second group of 11 ships - Lovkiy, Letushiy, Likhoy, Izkusniy, Ispolitelniy, Krepkiy, Legkiy, Leitenant Burakov, Moshchniy, Moledetskiy and Metkiy - belonged to the huge number of destroyers which were ordered during the war against Japan, but completed too late to participate in it. They had the same length, but were beamier and had more draught than the first group and carried two 75mm and four 47mm guns; the torpedoes were of larger caliber (18' instead of 15'). All served in the Baltic during the first world war.
[ img ]

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: French-built ships for foreign NaviesPosted: September 22nd, 2014, 7:34 pm
Excellent work! :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Jackie Treehorn
Post subject: Re: French-built ships for foreign NaviesPosted: September 23rd, 2014, 2:13 am
Wow, great again. Good to see that it will continue with the excellent destroyer series. There were some more French destroyer classes sold to Russia after the Russo-Japanese War. Will they also come?

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: French-built ships for foreign NaviesPosted: September 23rd, 2014, 7:22 am
Really nice work,

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 9 of 11  [ 106 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 17 8 9 10 11 »

Jump to: