Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 5 of 27  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page « 13 4 5 6 727 »
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: February 16th, 2014, 3:47 pm
Karle, I believe your correct. In my emersion into the history and photos of Tennesse I happerned upon the addition of the 5"/25s but I'm still trying to locate the article. I believe it was akin to Hazegray.

The catapult is a placeholder while I find an earlier on.

Its still very much a WIP.

Thanks for the comments and recommendations all. Ace, I'm going to experiment with your idea.

[Profile] [Quote]
Syzmo
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: February 16th, 2014, 4:07 pm
Speaking of the radar, the one you have looks like the smaller SC radar that was on destroyers, not the CXAM that was on capitol ships, check the parts sheet for a better version. Also, only California, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania had radar by Dec. 7.

The drawing is coming along nicely, I know its too early to start getting nitpicky about the details, but right now the drawing is a mix of some 1941 stuff on the as built drawing. A lot things have to be changed especially on the boat deck, armament, masts, and superstructure to make this look like she would have on the day of infamy.

I look forward to seeing this class progress!

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." Thomas Edward Lawrence, The Seven Pillars of Wisdom

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: February 16th, 2014, 4:15 pm
The early 1942 superstructure looked like this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/939 ... ee1942.png

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: February 16th, 2014, 4:29 pm
Having done a bit of examining photos of Tennessee, I now understand the shutters on the 5"in casement guns. Nice touch.

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: February 16th, 2014, 6:26 pm
Okay, so I added some preliminary rails, changed the bridge superstructure, and moved the 5in/25s on the boat deck around to meet one of Tennessee's configurations.

[ img ]

Am I even getting close?

[Profile] [Quote]
Syzmo
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: February 20th, 2014, 3:50 pm
Now you're getting there. Poke around the sight some and found pictures of other US ships from 1941 to get any parts you need and extra detail pieces you can add. Things that still look like they need to be done (seems like a lot but really just a bunch of small detail stuff):

-redo the masts
-the birdbath on the mainmast (aft) should fully encircle the control tower.
-there are better .50 cal guns out there and there should be another pair on that platform that sticks out just above the #2 turret
-add the 3"/50 guns
-add the fc directors around the superstructure
-add float planes if you want, they would have been aboard during the attack
-if you want you can change the paint scheme to measure 1, some people draw their ships with the proper camo schemes some just draw them plain grey so the features stand out better, its up to you. typically if you are drawing a general view (ex. how the ship looked in the 1930's) plain grey works, if you are drawing a specific date or event (ex. how the ship looked on Dec. 7, 1941) you would draw the camo
-then its just a matter of finishing up the rigging and youll be onto your next iteration of the ship

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." Thomas Edward Lawrence, The Seven Pillars of Wisdom

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: February 20th, 2014, 9:13 pm
Thanks for the direction Syzmo.

I've slowed down . . . I was getting to impetuous using shortcuts with stock catapults. I've already redone the masts adding a denser latice. I noticed that around1941-42 that the 5" AA guns on the boat deck were replaced by enclosed single 3" mounts. I'm not sure,but I'm inclinded to draw three versions: as built, as she was during the Pearle Harbor Attack, and her reconstruction.

Here's my redraw.

[ img ]

I think it's closer.

Dave

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: February 20th, 2014, 9:21 pm
Here's the best photo I was able to find of tennessee's aft mast.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: February 20th, 2014, 10:06 pm
Also, I'd recommend you using the 5"/25s I drew for the Northampton-class. They're featured on Karle94s splendid Lexington-class. (And before anyone says it: Yes! I know I never got to upload them to the parts sheet, but since Karle has used them, they're actually readily available!)

As for the guns, I used official BuOrd-drawings to get them as accurate as possible.

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: February 21st, 2014, 1:07 pm
Okay, Here is Tennessee with 3"/50s amidships on the boat deck. I believe they were replaced with 5"/25s.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 5 of 27  [ 265 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 13 4 5 6 727 »

Jump to: