Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 5 of 10  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page « 13 4 5 6 710 »
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: more French destroyersPosted: February 9th, 2013, 7:00 pm
We seem to have a difficulty, with some non drawing members attempting to establish corrections via drawings; when, as far as I can see the actual artist has made decisions based on their own research including critically photographic evidence that may not agree with certain drawings; and logically, we will always defer to photographic evidence. To members, both new and old, who aren't interested in drawing, maybe they could respect the fact that those who do draw are in the business of getting the best likeness for the purpose of adding to the archive. I doubt if every drawing is that accurate anyway ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: more French destroyersPosted: February 9th, 2013, 10:00 pm
Absolutely right Bill you can't beat a photo.Drawings can be wrong as I have found to my cost a few times.It's also particularly erksome as an artist to be continually corrected by someone who produces nothing.Keep up the good work Garlicdesign you're doing good mate. :geek:

[Profile] [Quote]
mda224
Post subject: Re: more French destroyersPosted: February 10th, 2013, 4:58 am
Dear All,

This is my first post although I am a regular follower of the site, I have followed this thread with interest and am glad that you more established members are finally supporting a person who was only recently started posting drawings, I think these are very good with an obvious great amount of time and care taken and am pleased to see more French ships on the site (GD - would love to see Chacal and Guepard class DD's and Suffren class CA's!!)

As a currently non - drawing member, to be honest with you I have been put off trying by all the condecending and negative comments especially in the beginners forum (some encouraging and positive but not often) and especially from people who have not posted their own attempts on site. I have attempted a couple of ships and realize how difficult and time consuming it is so am full of admiration for those who produce really good work and who obviously have reserched their subject well.

I realize for work to be accepted it needs to be very good and constructive criticism can help, but all too often there seems to be a rush to rubbish some peoples work by others who seem to want to prove they are the font of all knowledge. Not healthy for the site to discourage newer members from trying to add work by this attitude.

Regards, MDA224

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: more French destroyersPosted: February 10th, 2013, 9:55 am
mda224, Please try posting a drawing in beginners and I guarantee you'll only receive sincere advice and encouragement. Every single one of us began with a blank screen, and learnt as we went along, so there is no place here for discouraging comments. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Weisman
Post subject: Re: more French destroyersPosted: February 10th, 2013, 10:12 am
Portsmouth Bill wrote:
We seem to have a difficulty, with some non drawing members attempting to establish corrections via drawings; when, as far as I can see the actual artist has made decisions based on their own research including critically photographic evidence that may not agree with certain drawings; and logically, we will always defer to photographic evidence. To members, both new and old, who aren't interested in drawing, maybe they could respect the fact that those who do draw are in the business of getting the best likeness for the purpose of adding to the archive. I doubt if every drawing is that accurate anyway ;)
I totally agree with Portsmouth Bill. Now I have similar problems with IJN Settsu and will have to take some compromise.

My Worklist

http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewto ... f=5&t=3504

[Profile] [Quote]
Dima11
Post subject: Re: more French destroyersPosted: February 10th, 2013, 1:24 pm
))))
Everybody who has write here knows that he DOES artworks having nothing with reality. Please do not speak to me about adjusting drawings by photos. I really enjoy forum. But some absolute unprofessionalism and unwillingness to recognize mistakes depress....

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: more French destroyersPosted: February 10th, 2013, 2:31 pm
Dima11 wrote:
))))
Everybody who has write here knows that he DOES artworks having nothing with reality. Please do not speak to me about adjusting drawings by photos. I really enjoy forum. But some absolute unprofessionalism and unwillingness to recognize mistakes depress....
So an adherence to what a ship actually looked like is not needed? We disagree. You can adhere to confirmation with reality, or leave.

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: more French destroyersPosted: February 10th, 2013, 4:21 pm
Also, its a hobby, right? If folk like Dima want 'blueprint' drawings they may need to look elsewhere. That said it seems most of us are in agreement that the Forum is doing just fine with some exciting stuff being produced by newer members :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Cascadia
Post subject: Re: more French destroyersPosted: February 10th, 2013, 4:45 pm
All this sounds familiar. Didn't we have a similar conversation some time ago about the Yamato?

BTW: GD, your drawings are amazing.

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: more French destroyersPosted: February 10th, 2013, 4:49 pm
Cascadia wrote:
All this sounds familiar. Didn't we have a similar conversation some time ago about the Yamato?

BTW: GD, your drawings are amazing.
Yes. And it's starting to really annoy some of us.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 5 of 10  [ 91 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 13 4 5 6 710 »

Jump to: