Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 5 of 6  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: CL-55 ClevelandPosted: February 19th, 2012, 4:27 am
An update to the Clevelands, with thanks to Bezo for his rendition of the underwater hull. From now on I will not be releasing Shipbucket Standard grey drawings unless requested. If I am going to show the ship as it appeared during a certain year, I think it's a bit strange for it not to be colored properly.

Grey versions without camo will, of course, be supplied at anyone's request.

[ img ]
CL-55 in 1942, wearing my crude approximation of Ms12 modified. Unfortunately there were no "official" documents on how to make this camo so ships' crews applied it themselves. The only way to render the camo accurately is to look at old blurry photos, which alas makes this task very difficult. It also doesn't help that the colors for Ms12 seem to vary so much between ships. This literally became a case of "pick the color from a photo with the eye dropper and go from there". One of the only times I strayed from my USN camouflage colors paint chips...

[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Clonecommander6454
Post subject: Re: CL-55 ClevelandPosted: February 19th, 2012, 4:39 am
Looks like an awesome series of Cleveland Class. Do you plan to do every single one of them?

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: CL-55 ClevelandPosted: February 19th, 2012, 5:11 am
Probably not. The class was so numerous and there were so many different variations that I'd probably go crazy trying to do them all.

That said, I may do a few of the more interesting camouflage examples later on, but for now I'm focusing work on the Atlanta class.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: CL-55 ClevelandPosted: February 19th, 2012, 5:25 am
IMHO (to both Colosseum and Bezo), the unique hull shaping should be rendered in a very dark gray/brown rather than the brownish shade. The latter is so light that, even knowing I should look for a change, it took half a minute before I could find it.

Excellent drawing all the same, of course.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: CL-55 ClevelandPosted: February 19th, 2012, 6:50 am
One of the things I've never been particularly good at is the detailing of the underwater hull. MConrads' method (which I view as the only acceptable method) views the addition of the underwater hull as an extra bonus and not a super-necessary part of the drawing. This is why we only have 3 different colors for detailing the underwater hull.

Personally it has never been a very interesting aspect of a ship for me. This style does not lend itself to rendering the complex curves of the underwater hull to begin with, so it's never really been something I've worried too much about. I get the shafts, screws, rudder, and bilge keels as correct as possible and call it a day.

Hence why I've left underwater hull modifications solely to bezo!

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: CL-55 ClevelandPosted: February 19th, 2012, 12:55 pm
Yeah I agree on that. it's a bonus!

And ...:
(But when I draw ships for my AU, the shading I have on the hull is hove it will look like if the boat was in dry-dock and the light come only from one direction. The only thing is that I like to exaggerate the darkness in the shading from time to time!)

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: CL-55 ClevelandPosted: February 19th, 2012, 2:56 pm
What I did for Ian was to give him a template basically. He was kind enough to request my advice with regards to the exact shape if these rather unique, but in my humble view, very poignant features of this and other US cruiser classes. I did not want, however, to take anything away from Ian fixing it/adjusting it to confirm to his preferred style. But, I can take a closer look, once back at home, to find a better way to display these features. I, personally, though, believe that the current way that it's been done is well nigh enough and satisfactory.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: CL-55 ClevelandPosted: February 19th, 2012, 4:25 pm
I don't want to over-emphasize this point - we really are talking about the most minor of minor details in this case. What I probably should have done is trade colors myself to see if it looked better, rather than opining from the peanut gallery.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: CL-55 ClevelandPosted: February 19th, 2012, 5:06 pm
Yes personally I am tired of worrying about it and I think bezo's take on it works just fine.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: CL-55 ClevelandPosted: February 19th, 2012, 5:22 pm
This might seem like a dumb question, but when putting camo like this on ships, are there templates that automatically do it, or do you have to draw it yourself?

-Matt

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 5 of 6  [ 53 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

Jump to: