Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 24 of 27  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page « 122 23 24 25 26 27 »
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: June 6th, 2014, 4:04 pm
Karle94 wrote:
According to Navweaps the Tennesee had the SC and SRa radars before her rebuild. As you can see here: http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_Radar_WWII.htm
She was refit after Pearle harbor in 1942--which I'm depicting-- and later that year she was rebuild which is what I think they intended.

Here are two photos I pulled from NavSource.

[ img ]

They show a radar but not the SC or SRa.

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: June 6th, 2014, 4:08 pm
emperor_andreas wrote:
David Latuch wrote:
emperor_andreas wrote:
Very nice work!
Thank you for your service Sir.
Thank you...you're actually the first person who's ever thanked me.
I'm a Vet and know quite a few others--I work at a VA Hospital in Vermont--we've won several awards and are not implicated in the present scandal.

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: June 6th, 2014, 4:31 pm
I think the small radar is the SC, it certainly isnt a SG-radar, they were not in widespread use in 1941, The larger, wider radar looks to be the SRa. Either that or it is a Mk 3 mod 2 radar for assisting in fire directing.

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: June 6th, 2014, 4:51 pm
I think you're quite correct with it being the Mk3 Mod 2.

We'll have to wait for Ian to weight in.

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: June 6th, 2014, 4:55 pm
Both the Mk 3 and the SR is short, wide and 90 degree V shaped. But the other one behind that is definetely squared.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: June 6th, 2014, 6:26 pm
You're seeing a Mk.3 Mod.2 "FC" fire control radar antenna above the spotting top. This is the traditional position for this radar on the "old" battleships: after drawing as many as both of you have, not sure how you keep missing this... :roll:

The square radar above the FC on the photo David linked is an SC air search set. BB1987 drew one for his early Montanas that you can use.

I can't spot an SG radar on any of the photos, and the version you have drawn is early (or so it seems). Please add a month to the "date" if you can, it would be much more helpful than a blanket year - these ships went through so many revisions that it's best to use months rather than years.

The NavWeaps page is likely just wrong, because SRa is a variant of SR - a destroyer air search set that wasn't issued until 1944. There's also no photographic evidence at all to support the theory of SRa being in use during the 1942 timeframe. After the Tennessee's Puget Sound rebuild in May of 1943, it looks to me like the ship receives a much more modern radar and director fit. Note the Mk.34 directors (with early Mk.8 FH radars above), square-back Mk.37 directors with Mk.4 radars for the 5"/38 battery, SG on the foremast, and SC-2 (seemingly without its attendant IFF array above) on the mainmast. Even in this photo, no evidence at all to suggest the presence of any version of SR. The actual SR radar only went to sea aboard the later Sumner/Gearing DDs and was retroactively fitted to some of the fast battleships (I know for a fact BB-55 received it in 1945 as a backup air search set). The preference by then was to have two SG radars for surface search, with a large SK-2 air search radar backed up by an SP or SM height finder (for fighter control, and also for helping with AA gunlaying) or an SC-2 or SR air search set.
Quote:
Both the Mk 3 and the SR is short, wide and 90 degree V shaped. But the other one behind that is definetely squared.
As always, your highly technical input inspires nothing but confidence... :roll: :?

The Mk.3 Mod.2 "FC" is a 12' x 3' oblong parabolic reflector. The SR is a 15' x 4' mattress with an array of dipoles, distinguishable by its lack of separate IFF antenna above and rounded corners. When I get home I will just start to scan some of the USN search radar pages from Friedman's Naval Radar and post it here .

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: June 6th, 2014, 6:52 pm
Ian the New Mexico left the yards in February and the photos are from May according to NavSource. I would date my drawing as May 1942.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: June 6th, 2014, 7:29 pm
The New Mexico or the Tennessee? Now I'm extra confused. :(

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: June 6th, 2014, 7:33 pm
Colosseum wrote:
The New Mexico or the Tennessee? Now I'm extra confused. :(
This thread is Tennessee.

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: June 20th, 2014, 5:55 pm
The latest version of the USS Tennessee (BB-43) 1943-44 Rebuild.

[ img ]

I've changed the gun tubs.

Darkened the underwater hull color.

Changed the stablizers and bilge keel

Changed the anchors.

Now I guess it's time to resume the camo work.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 24 of 27  [ 265 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 122 23 24 25 26 27 »

Jump to: