Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 22 of 25  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page « 120 21 22 23 24 25 »
DG_Alpha
Post subject: Re: Germany - Admiral Hipper class Heavy CruiserPosted: March 30th, 2014, 8:40 pm
Thanks to everyone, here the next one:

Due to the heavy damage the cruiser had sustained in Norway, Admiral Hipper was left in disrepair for 1943. With all capital ships reduced to second-line duties, the effort to repair the generators and boiler room was not deemed worth it. The decision to repair the cruiser came in March of 1944 and Admiral Hipper was transferred to Gotenhafen (Gdynia) where first repairs began with the intention to have the cruiser ready in November, but ultimately, she would remain in dock until January 1945.

[ img ]

Last edited by DG_Alpha on April 6th, 2014, 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Germany - Admiral Hipper class Heavy CruiserPosted: March 30th, 2014, 8:51 pm
Nice work! I'm guessing just one more and the Hippers are officially complete?

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Germany - Admiral Hipper class Heavy CruiserPosted: March 30th, 2014, 9:21 pm
emperor_andreas wrote:
Then the never-built will come i guess. :D

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Germany - Admiral Hipper class Heavy CruiserPosted: March 31st, 2014, 7:35 am
Great work!
Looking forward to never-weres! :)

[Profile] [Quote]
KimWerner
Post subject: Re: Germany - Admiral Hipper class Heavy CruiserPosted: March 31st, 2014, 11:21 am
Beautiful series DG :D

All relevant Coat of Arms

[Profile] [Quote]
Syzmo
Post subject: Re: Germany - Admiral Hipper class Heavy CruiserPosted: March 31st, 2014, 1:29 pm
Top notch work as always! Can I just ask what the two pairs of ovals are on the bow below the waterline?

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." Thomas Edward Lawrence, The Seven Pillars of Wisdom

[Profile] [Quote]
DG_Alpha
Post subject: Re: Germany - Admiral Hipper class Heavy CruiserPosted: April 6th, 2014, 2:43 pm
emperor_andreas wrote:
It ain't over until I say it's over! :twisted:
Syzmo wrote:
Top notch work as always! Can I just ask what the two pairs of ovals are on the bow below the waterline?
Sonar equipment

By May 1944 some repairs and improvements had been done to Admiral Hipper: The main mast now carried the big version FuMO-26 radar, and the light AA had been improved with 40mm Bofors and 20mm twins. Spending the rest of 1944 in dock, the war got worse every day. In January 1945, despite still having two months’ worth of repairs ahead, Admiral Hipper was put on alert and ready to leave within 18 hours on January 19th. This time limit was reduced to 3 hours by January 22nd and ammunition was brought back onboard. However, the cruiser was still far from combat ready, only one seaplane was available and only the two forward AA-rangefinder were operational. The order to evacuate came on January 29th and Admiral Hipper left Gotenhafen at around 16:00, together with T36 and over 1700 refugees on both ships. While driving west, Admiral Hipper witnessed the attack on the passenger liner Wilhelm Gustloff by the Soviet submarine S13. Captain Henigst could only order his cruiser to move on, as Admiral Hipper with her crippled engine rooms would be an easy target and left T36 behind to assist with the rescue operations. On February 2nd Admiral Hipper arrived in Kiel in the Deutsche Werke docks to continue her repairs.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Germany - Admiral Hipper class Heavy CruiserPosted: April 6th, 2014, 10:26 pm
Very nice work!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
denodon
Post subject: Re: Germany - Admiral Hipper class Heavy CruiserPosted: April 7th, 2014, 5:42 am
And so the top weight continues to grow.

Excellent work. I'm not terribly familiar with the ships by this point in the war so its good to see how they would have looked. The increasing lack of sources as you progress further into the war makes this an even greater achievement.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Germany - Admiral Hipper class Heavy CruiserPosted: April 7th, 2014, 6:56 am
More great work!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 22 of 25  [ 241 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 120 21 22 23 24 25 »

Jump to: