Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 4  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: HMS Canada.Posted: April 28th, 2014, 9:19 pm
You're right, Charybdis, I'd definitely do the break in a darker shade of grey. Note, on my Pennsylvanias, I've used a fairly light tone, to denote that the recess and break were not substantial.

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: HMS Canada.Posted: April 28th, 2014, 9:24 pm
Thanks Bezo. ;)

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: HMS Canada.Posted: April 28th, 2014, 9:55 pm
Superb job on this one.
BTW the doors at the stern, AFAIK, are "deadlight", steel shutters for the windows in the captain's or admiral's cabin. Traditionally the captain had a very large spacious cabin aft (more like a suite of rooms actually), with a night cabin where he slept and a day cabin which also served as an office. In battleships, and to lesser extent, cruisers, there was usually another suite for an admiral, especially when a ship was used as the flagship. The idea of accommodating officers forward and enlisted men aft (near their battle stations) came about in WW2 the first ship to so designed was R class destroyer (the Emergency war program).

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: HMS Canada.Posted: April 28th, 2014, 10:21 pm
Absolutely awesome beyond words!

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: HMS Canada.Posted: April 29th, 2014, 12:35 pm
Another excellent dreadnought.

Are we likely to see a Chilean version as she appeared later in life?

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: HMS Canada.Posted: April 29th, 2014, 1:52 pm
Actually, Novice, the very first ship designed with accomodations reversed was the HMS Dreadnought (1906). The following four battleship classes also followed this pattern, as did all the battle cruisers up to the Princess Royal (1912). The battlecruiser Queen Mary and the battleships of the King George V-class were the first capital ships to revert back to the Old Order.

The system with all the ratings aft and officers forward was deeply unpopular and resented. The admirals (and captains) losing out on their spacious aft suits with sternwalks and all. Instead these were located, most commonly on 01-level deck, in the forward superstructure (aft in the Orions), comparitively cramped and, of course, without the beloved sternwalk!

The ratings, surprisingly, loathed the arrangement because of what they experienced as excessive vibrations from the shaft tunnels/trunks, as well as finding it harder to get to their actual battle stations in time!
So, Novice, this system was never again repeated, at least not on capital ships! - Certainly not during WW2.

Last edited by bezobrazov on April 29th, 2014, 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
BCRenown
Post subject: Re: HMS Canada.Posted: April 29th, 2014, 2:54 pm
Very nice work, Bombhead and it's about time someone drew this beauty. Thanks mate. Just one quibble tho - I'm pretty sure the main post of the tripod mast needs to be lined up top and bottom.

Monty

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: HMS Canada.Posted: April 29th, 2014, 7:16 pm
THX Bezzo for clarifying that point. I was under the impression of "officers aft rating forward" rule was constant in the RN since the days of sailing ships, a rule with no exception, till the destroyers of WW2.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
KimWerner
Post subject: Re: HMS Canada.Posted: May 10th, 2014, 1:58 pm
Another quality drawing from you Bombhead. I've send you a PM regarding badges :D

All relevant Coat of Arms

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: HMS Canada.Posted: May 13th, 2014, 1:30 pm
Now with Kim's superb badge. ;)
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 4  [ 33 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: