Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 15  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 515 »
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: North Carolina class battleshipPosted: April 28th, 2014, 6:02 pm
Really great drawing. what a spring we are having for the old ladies :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Ollie
Post subject: Re: North Carolina class battleshipPosted: April 28th, 2014, 6:53 pm
emperor_andreas wrote:
Isn't this also the same scheme she currently sports as a museum ship? Or has she been repainted since 2006? I've never been to see her personally, but she's on my bucket list.
The North Carolina does indeed still have that paint scheme.

I visited her last year on my way back home from a family reunion in Myrtle Beach. Very few people were there that day and I pretty much had the ship to myself.
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Syzmo
Post subject: Re: North Carolina class battleshipPosted: April 28th, 2014, 7:05 pm
Colo, looks like your drawing is missing several dozen Japanese flags painted on the superstructure :lol:

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." Thomas Edward Lawrence, The Seven Pillars of Wisdom

[Profile] [Quote]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: North Carolina class battleshipPosted: April 28th, 2014, 8:17 pm
Washington should be the Battleship of this class that should have become a Museum, only US Battleship to sink another battleship. But no, the North Carolina gets saved and the WA get's scrapped... such bullshit.

[Profile] [Quote]
maomatic
Post subject: Re: North Carolina class battleshipPosted: April 28th, 2014, 8:55 pm
Stunning work, Colosseum! She`s a real beauty, indeed!

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: North Carolina class battleshipPosted: April 28th, 2014, 9:01 pm
You should draw more often. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Biancini1995
Post subject: Re: North Carolina class battleshipPosted: April 28th, 2014, 9:01 pm
Make the never were versions of the North Carolina ^^

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: North Carolina class battleshipPosted: April 28th, 2014, 9:02 pm
Stunning work indeed. Truly impressive. :o

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: North Carolina class battleshipPosted: April 28th, 2014, 10:19 pm
The version of the camouflage on the ship today is actually inaccurate. The scheme originally seen on the starboard side of the ship (as displayed in my drawing) is currently painted on the port side of the ship, and they haven't used the proper "Dull Black" - but rather some sort of dark blue instead. Still... given the lack of funding usually present for museum ships, it's impressive that they even went to the trouble to paint it in the first place...

Find me a wartime photo of the ship's scoreboard and I will draw it. Otherwise... ;)
Quote:
Make the never were versions of the North Carolina ^^
There are too many real versions of this class still yet to be drawn for me to consider any "never built designs". The rest of you are, as always, free to modify this drawing into whatever you like...
Quote:
Washington should be the Battleship of this class that should have become a Museum, only US Battleship to sink another battleship. But no, the North Carolina gets saved and the WA get's scrapped... such bullshit.
Don't take it personally. After all, they scrapped both of the Alaskas around the same time. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: North Carolina class battleshipPosted: April 29th, 2014, 1:59 am
Great photos, Ollie...I hope to make the trip to Mobile, AL some time this year and see U.S.S. Alabama down there.
nighthunter wrote:
Several USN ships that should've been preserved were either scrapped or used as targets. Washington would've been a prime candidate for preservation in my book if for no other reason than her performance on 15 November 1942. Others that more than met the criteria to still be here today are:

1) U.S.S. Enterprise (I think this goes without saying.)
2) U.S.S. Saratoga (Be sweet to be able to visit her today without having to take up scuba diving.)
3) U.S.S. Nevada (She would've been a nice centerpiece to a Pearl Harbor Memorial alongside Arizona and possibly Missouri.
4) U.S.S. San Francisco (One of the survivors of the "Bar Room Brawl" of 13 November 1942. That and I've always thought she was a beautiful ship.)
5) U.S.S. England (Her anti-submarine record will probably never be broken.)

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 15  [ 150 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 515 »

Jump to: