Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 27  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 527 »
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: February 15th, 2014, 4:55 pm
More or less. It was more of a warning than an order. Just be careful with such things, Colosseum is very proud and strict when it comes to American vessels. Believe me, I know.

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: February 15th, 2014, 4:57 pm
Karle,

Follow my argument,

Examining the photos of the Tennessee’s after mast, it appears that it is composed from leftward twisting rods. If the tower where opaque—as we know it is not—it would appear like (A). If we could only see the back side it would appear like (B). When the two views are super imposed, the lattice or cage structure becomes evident.

[ img ]

Does this make sense to you?

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: February 15th, 2014, 5:15 pm
There are more rods than that. There have to be. There were so many you could`t topple the mast by shooting it. They tested it on a mast that the South Carolina class had. 200 12 inch shells could`t bring it down.

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: February 15th, 2014, 5:28 pm
Hi David, Karle,

Just to advise, the lattice masts in use on early US battleships were hyperboloid structures, constructed of a lattice of straight lengths of metal. One side would have looked like David's option 'C'. I'm not sure if the actual look of a lattice mast is possible on SB-scale (SB-scale and fine detail don't always mix, as I understand it) but perhaps showing one side is sufficient?

Regards,
Adam Smith

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: February 15th, 2014, 5:49 pm
Karle94 wrote:
More or less. It was more of a warning than an order. Just be careful with such things, Colosseum is very proud and strict when it comes to American vessels. Believe me, I know.
I'm strict about all real designs - either do it right, or don't bother.

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: February 15th, 2014, 5:55 pm
I agree, which is why I'm beatting my head against this wall trying to figure it out.

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/114/28722 ... 529f_o.jpg

Here is the photo of the model I mentioned.

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: February 15th, 2014, 5:58 pm
Hi David,

Perhaps this will help - not a lattice mast, but a look up the inside of a hyperboloid structure, from wiki:

Article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperboloid_structure

Pic: [ img ]

Regards,
Adam

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: February 15th, 2014, 6:32 pm
If The stab alows it, you van perhaps do it in the same way of railings, by using railing great line together with black line.

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: February 15th, 2014, 7:21 pm
Okay,

How does this look (Its a WIP, be kind).

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
shipsinker
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: February 15th, 2014, 11:03 pm
LOOKS GREAT

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 27  [ 265 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 527 »

Jump to: