Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 18 of 19  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page « 115 16 17 18 19 »
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico As Build 1918Posted: June 3rd, 2014, 7:36 pm
Thanks much. I'm still going over her to see what I missed or outright messed up.

[Profile] [Quote]
Radome
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico As Build 1918Posted: June 3rd, 2014, 7:45 pm
U missed a red pixeline on the stern :)

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico As Build 1918Posted: June 3rd, 2014, 8:22 pm
Oops

Better?

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico As Build 1918Posted: June 4th, 2014, 1:16 am
The stern aircraft crane was updated, and anyway I'm not sure the later "standard type" was actually used on the old battleships - you will likely need to identify the mark and mod and then try to track down some official plans and draw it yourself. Some of the plans Colombamike sent you will have a version of it you can use for reference.

The same goes for the catapult. The type I've drawn is the "P-type" (meaning powder actuated) Mk.6 Mod.1 catapult - mounted on the fast battleships and CBs only. The old battleships had a very similar (but still different) catapult, the mark and mod of which I have not been able to track down. Again, colombamike's sheet sent to you will have a correct catapult version to use.

You've left off the secondary SG radar on the mainmast, which also looks too thick according to the NavSource photos I've found. Also, if this is supposed to be the ship in 1944, it's missing its Measure 32 camouflage. ;)

From careful study of this photo, it looks to me like the two fore-and-aft projections just above the pilot house and below the forward 12' rangefinder are outriggers for towing or range lights.

From that same photo, there's a very obvious Mk.3 Mod.2 "FC" radar mounted above the fire control tower. You have represented this as an (odd) circular feature (which seems to be wrong) - find the correct part on the sheet in my signature.

The yellow searchlights are (frankly) too cartoonish for this drawing, and anyway they need to replaced with the correct 24" and 36" searchlights available in the USN master components sheet.

The radio DF loop between the funnel and the bridge is too large - pull the version from the USS North Carolina.

One thing that I don't think happens enough is that no one takes the time to identify each component thoroughly enough; you should generally know the mark/mod of every fire director and all its variants on a ship you're drawing. I see a lot of blind tracing on the drawings posted lately and not a lot of thought into creating useful, well-researched parts. Do you know the types of directors being used on this ship? I know the large pedestal mounted directors at the top are Mk.33s, but I'm unsure of the Mod as I have never spent enough time researching them. I think you should do that research and then post them as a contribution to the USN parts sheet. The same goes for the rest of the directors and guns on this ship.

Anyway, as always you are free to do whatever you want: there is no "requirement" that you replace your parts with mine, etc. I just have spent a considerable amount of time trying to get the USN parts "perfect" so it can save people time in the future.

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico As Build 1918Posted: June 4th, 2014, 8:17 am
Thanks for the very thorough analysis its very helpful. I'll be back with the corrections.

[Profile] [Quote]
ussnimitz1968
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico As Build 1918Posted: June 4th, 2014, 3:28 pm
wow! I can't believe that detail! I don't think I can draw as good as that ever :(

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico As Build 1918Posted: June 4th, 2014, 6:31 pm
Sure you can . . . you just draw one line at a time . . . of course it has to be the right line.

[Profile] [Quote]
signal
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico As Build 1918Posted: June 4th, 2014, 10:04 pm
These drawings are fantastic! I always thought that this class was
the best of the "prewar" USN battleships. The Arizona and Pennsylvania
always get the publicity, but now I have these illustrations to enjoy.
Thank you.

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico As Build 1918Posted: June 5th, 2014, 10:28 am
USS New Mexico (BB-40) 1944

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico As Build 1918Posted: June 6th, 2014, 10:35 pm
Really excellent work David. Your persistence and willingness to do versions that depict the entire lifespan of a ship really make for some great work

References and feedback is always welcome!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 18 of 19  [ 181 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 115 16 17 18 19 »

Jump to: