Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 15 of 19  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page « 113 14 15 16 1719 »
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico As Build 1918Posted: May 21st, 2014, 9:57 pm
I asked a legitimate question, and Colombamike did provide a legitimate answer - that it's very difficult to keep up with the amount of work being done in these battleship threads. My question was never intended to spark a negative backlash against him.

That said, in the future it would probably be most useful if artists were to PM Colombamike and request a zip file or set of sources for whatever drawing they are working on - that way he can send over any high res photos he has that might be useful. I was just a bit surprised that the high-res photos were only being posted once work on the drawings had been done: it would be much easier and simpler if the great references Colombamike posts were provided at the start.

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico As Build 1918Posted: May 21st, 2014, 10:10 pm
Colosseum wrote:
I asked a legitimate question, and Colombamike did provide a legitimate answer - that it's very difficult to keep up with the amount of work being done in these battleship threads. My question was never intended to spark a negative backlash against him.

That said, in the future it would probably be most useful if artists were to PM Colombamike and request a zip file or set of sources for whatever drawing they are working on - that way he can send over any high res photos he has that might be useful. I was just a bit surprised that the high-res photos were only being posted once work on the drawings had been done: it would be much easier and simpler if the great references Colombamike posts were provided at the start.
Exactly. But he never does. If he'd simply posted his references when the thread started, you wouldn't hear me. Instead he allways seems to feel the need to correct people after the deed is done, and almost never in a polite manner. There allways seems the need to put a snide or crass comment in there.

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico As Build 1918Posted: May 22nd, 2014, 5:43 am
Not entirely true. When I started working on the Sverige class(a project I quickly dropped), he PM:d me several blueprints and photos. I think he sent them shortly after I posted the WIP(He might even have sent them earlier, because he quoted my worklist topic message, not the OP to the ship thread), and there were no snide comments or remarks. The only thing he said was "Some stuffs for you guys ;)".

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico As Build 1918Posted: May 22nd, 2014, 7:55 am
I asked him before I started on the Colbert. And also during my work. And he pm me.

Last edited by heuhen on May 22nd, 2014, 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico As Build 1918Posted: May 22nd, 2014, 8:10 am
To be fair to Colombamike, he may just be struggling to keep up with David - Since he's joined, David's done Connecticut, Maine, Virginia, North Carolina, Monterey, Mississippi, California and, here, New Mexico - it's no surprise to me if Colombamike is struggling to keep up, David's really knocking those drawings out!

Ad

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico As Build 1918Posted: May 22nd, 2014, 1:43 pm
I've gone over Colombamike's photos and suggested revamps and here is the result.

[ img ]

She is undoubtedly not perfect . . . but she is much better.

Thank you Colombamike and everyone else.

David

Last edited by David Latuch on May 22nd, 2014, 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico As Build 1918Posted: May 22nd, 2014, 2:13 pm
at first glans not bad. but I noticed that "underwater torpedo tube" or whatever it is in the bow section of the hull. It have an dark brown color around it... should it be dark red?

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico As Build 1918Posted: May 22nd, 2014, 2:24 pm
heuhen wrote:
at first glans not bad. but I noticed that "underwater torpedo tube" or whatever it is in the bow section of the hull. It have an dark brown color around it... should it be dark red?
Okay good catch Heuhen . . . I changed it. Thanks.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico As Build 1918Posted: May 22nd, 2014, 2:50 pm
It now looks pretty much up to snuff....except that you forgot the navigation lights at the tip of the upper bridge wing!

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico As Build 1918Posted: May 22nd, 2014, 3:42 pm
I've never liked the amateurish look of the canvas coverings drawn over railings on older ships. Can someone link a photo of what it actually looks like?

Those searchlights are also not very good... I would prefer that someone identify the actual mark and mod and then find some original plans and use that as a base. There are too many overlapping black pixels and it's made worse by the attempt at the frame over the "glass", which is colored yellow on the drawing - the result being a single light gray line of pixels over bright yellow. It just doesn't look nice.

The conning tower (and most structures, actually) did not have rounded edges... make sure to make the top right corner of the conning tower a sharp right angle rather than the bevelled edge you have now.

The lettering on the turrets should be a light grey rather than stark white - it gives a better effect. Also make sure to color the (originally) dark grey "break" lines with an extremely dark grey (almost black) to match the black painted turret side.

There is a strange bit of white on the bow of the whaleboat hanging from the davits...

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 15 of 19  [ 181 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 113 14 15 16 1719 »

Jump to: