Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 14 of 22  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page « 112 13 14 15 1622 »
KHT
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine Deutschland and Scharnhorst class WIPPosted: January 25th, 2015, 10:32 pm
Truly stunning work.

[Profile] [Quote]
maomatic
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine Deutschland and Scharnhorst class WIPPosted: February 15th, 2015, 11:47 am
Thanks for the comments guys!

Unfortunately I had to put my work on the Panzerschiffe on hold, until I can find some better references regarding their hull shape and esp. their belt armour.

In the meantime, I have tried my hand on some more hull shading.

As this is my first try at this, I am looking for comments, if I am on the right track.
If it is OK and in line with the current rules, I will update my drawings accordingly.

The upper drawing was updated - the one below was left untouched for comparison.
[ img ]
Please tell me what you think - good or bad - thanks in advance!

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine Deutschland and Scharnhorst class WIPPosted: February 15th, 2015, 11:54 am
maomatic, it looks not too bad (the hull shading)
could you tell me what the 2 shades represent? so I can give a comment on it's correctness apart from its looks?

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine Deutschland and Scharnhorst class WIPPosted: February 15th, 2015, 12:01 pm
Hard to say. As a conservative underwater shader I prefer the older style.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
maomatic
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine Deutschland and Scharnhorst class WIPPosted: February 15th, 2015, 1:05 pm
Thanks for the comments.

@acelanceloet:

I took some inspiration from Garlicdesigns' excellent drawings.

In my view, the lighter shade represents the transition between a narrower and a steeper angle.
It is to better show the rounded structure of the hull with a simple form of "gradient-shading".

I hope this makes some sort of sense...

Here's one of the images i used as a guide:
http://www.tankwerkz.com/images/s/s214.jpg

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine Deutschland and Scharnhorst class WIPPosted: February 15th, 2015, 1:16 pm
viewtopic.php?p=138066#p138066
it might be that you already used this, but I prefer to put the shading lines at specific angles. if I look at your drawing as if the shading is one colour it looks quite correct, but I am not certain about the 2 different tones, seeing that they are quite close to each other.

btw, I cannot open that image..? no acces to that server, it seems.

[Profile] [Quote]
Tempest
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine Deutschland and Scharnhorst class WIPPosted: February 15th, 2015, 1:24 pm
It looks much better with the gradient shading style IMHO.

German Capital Ship Projects of The First World War

[Profile] [Quote]
maomatic
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine Deutschland and Scharnhorst class WIPPosted: February 15th, 2015, 2:00 pm
Alright, I don't want to spam the forum or anything, but here's another comparison picture:

[ img ]

@ace:

I think the second tone adds a little more depth to the drawing. I actually prefer it from an "artistic" standpoint.

But then there is the point as to what is the most accurate way to represent the correct hull shape, and this should always be the main focus.
Since you are the expert on hull-shading, I suppose I will update my drawings with the more correct "single tone" shading-style, then.

Again, many thanks for your input!

Maybe this link works? (The other one works fine for me...)

The first two pictures in particular are among the references I used.
They depict some very well done 3D models, that were used as a template for the 1/350 scale Dragon model of Scharnhorst.
http://www.tankwerkz.com/schgal.html

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine Deutschland and Scharnhorst class WIPPosted: February 15th, 2015, 2:02 pm
dual tone is good too, just try to have it really represent something (30 degrees angle and 60 degrees, for example, or 45 and 90)

[Profile] [Quote]
maomatic
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine Deutschland and Scharnhorst class WIPPosted: October 11th, 2015, 10:14 am
Hello everyone,

here are the last two drawings of the "Graf Spee"-series. The two drawings I posted earlier also received a small update:
-"Admiral Graf Spee" during the Spithead naval review on 20th May 1937 - a version with full "flags flying" might follow:[ img ]
- Multiple angle view of "Graf Spee" during August 1939. The drawing representes her after leaving Wilhelmshaven on 21. August 1939 - bound for the south Atlantic and awaiting the outbreak of WW II:
[ img ]
- "Graf Spee" in late November 1939. Together with a new camouflage scheme, a dummy funnel and a fake gun turret were added to alter the ships' silhouette.
Please note, that I couldn't find any credible information regarding the camo scheme for the canvas structures of the starboard side, so I left them in plain grey.
[ img ]
- "Graf Spee" in December 1939 after the "Battle of the River Plate":
[ img ]

Thanks for looking!
- maomatic -

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 14 of 22  [ 219 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 112 13 14 15 1622 »

Jump to: